Author Topic: What is Chicory Root, in doggie foodies?  (Read 6089 times)

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
What is Chicory Root, in doggie foodies?
« on: January 04, 2012, 07:14:36 PM »
Somebody on the BB site was asking about the ingredient, chicory root, in her dogs food, because her vet was concerned about it. They kinda blew her off, and gave the standard ans....... foodies is process according to AAFCO standards. Which we, in the know, know there really isn't too much.  She said she is a concerned pet parent, so I invited her to join us.  Here is a copy, of what BB told her:

Blue Buffalo - All-Natural Pet Food, Chicory Root is an herb cultivated as a natural source of inulin for pets and is a common ingredient in many pet food brands. We include it as a "prebiotic" that feeds the good bacteria and hinders the growth of bad bacteria in the digestive tract. We follow AFFCO guidelines with regards to approved ingredients for use in pet food, but, just as with many things, the level of consumption does matter. Proper nutrition is all about proper balance and too much of any ingredient can have detrimental effects. Please be assured the level of chicory root in our dog foods is well within the AFFCO recommend levels. --BB   

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
Re: What is Chicory Root, in doggie foodies?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 08:43:42 PM »

When I hear "chicory", I immediately think "po' man's coffee".

Chicory root is a common coffee substitute in various cultures.

Also, from what I recall reading in my herbal books (that are now in storage), it is used as a digestive aid.

Here are a few bits from a quick Google Search...

Wikipedia:
Around 1970 it was found that the root contains up to 20% inulin, a polysaccharide similar to starch. Inulin is mainly found in the plant family Asteraceae as a storage carbohydrate (for example Jerusalem artichoke, dahlia, etc.). It is used as a sweetener in the food industry with a sweetening power 1⁄10 that of sucrose[11] and is sometimes added to yogurts as a prebiotic. Inulin can be converted to fructose and glucose through hydrolysis. Inulin is also gaining popularity as a source of soluble dietary fiber and functional food.[12]

Deb's House Blog:
...make people feel gassy...
... it assists in moving the food right on through so fast it can’t stick around and be absorbed...

Side Effects via Buzzle:
...contact dermatitis...skin allergies...
...People who are suffering from gallstones and any other gallbladder diseases, need to be extremely cautious while consuming chicory root extract...
...Chicory root side effects are also observed in case of nursing women...can cause untimely menstruation...
...breastfeeding or pregnant women must also consult the health care provider, before consuming chicory root coffee or any other products...
...According to a folklore...long term usage of chicory root can cause blur vision and/or total loss of vision...

Keep in mind that this is all information on how it interacts with the HUMAN system...

I could not find any information on how it is supposed to benefit a CARNIVORE'S system.

meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
Re: What is Chicory Root, in doggie foodies?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 05:37:14 AM »
Alot of people are complaining, about their dogs, having alot of gas, in the Blue dry food, so if chicory root, does cause gas, even tho it says, in humans, that might be why, its causing gas in the dogs. Will have to look up and see which Blue dog foods, have chicory root. Thanks!  :-* TexasFlag bumpgif

Tags: