Author Topic: Need some good links for a friend  (Read 6562 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Need some good links for a friend
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 04:25:12 PM »
There's really not a single site online that has a LOT of recipes--unless you want treats. But, this site is pretty decent for starters that don't want to buy a book. http://www.dogaware.com/articles/wdjhomemade1.html However, it still requires a bit of a chef's creativity--but there are a lot of links in that site.

Since grain-free, cooked recipes are hard to find, I'd just remove any grains and legumes and go from there. But, I'd make darned sure that dog didn't get any GMO rice--or any other grain at all--since it can upset their stomachs, and there's no telling how much damage GMOs have already done to our pets. Some digestive enzymes and probiotics would probably help the dog recover too.

Youtube has some recipes though http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dog+food+crock+pot&oq=dog+food+crock+pot&gs_l=youtube.3...589.5291.0.5558.18.18.0.0.0.0.75.1164.18.18.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.pX2Puk3okkw including this vet's lessons in cooking:

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 01:32:44 AM »
Wouldn't raw be less work... no cooking (obviously) and more supplements would be needed to make up for what gets cooked out. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 10:29:22 AM »
Wouldn't raw be less work... no cooking (obviously) and more supplements would be needed to make up for what gets cooked out. 

That's what I think--easier. I'm all for ease. Separating chicken necks & backs into bites, & chopping up veg & fruit every day is already enough work for me. But Pookie said didn't think they'd be quite as open to it.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 12:28:46 PM »

LOL

That is exactly why I decided on raw vs. homecooked.  My inner lazy got the best of me.
Besides, carnivores don't pack bunsen burners to cook their food, the prey is nutritionally complete as is.
It's twice as much effort to 1) cook out all the nutrients, and then 2) turn around and try to put them all back in.
My inner lazy says 'if I don't NEED to, then don't bother!'   ;) :D
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 02:35:22 PM »
Thanks for the links, Dee!  And good point about the grains and GMOs.  :-*

As much as I know raw is the way to go, whenever I hear about people with pets that have health issues, I try to keep in mind that they don't have the information/experience that we do.  This may just be the beginning of the journey for them.  These are people that have probaly never questioned the PFI or what their vets told them, and believed that the food(s) they were feeding were "complete and balanced for all life-stages."  ::)  So IMO, just getting them to consider anything other than commercial food is a huge step for them. 

I also think many people will be more comfortable with home-cooked.  Yes, raw is healthier and more species-appropriate (and to FMM's point, less work), but they may have concerns about raw-feeding.  (As silly as it is, I still haven't worked up the nerve to give Pookie bones (other than the feeder mice) and I've read like crazy and had you guys as a resource  :-[.)  Or there may be other reasons why they can't/won't feed raw (sourcing, finances, someone in the household has a compromised immune system so they're worried about bacteria, etc.)  Also, these people very likely have vets that have either never heard of raw-feeding or don't support it, and these people need to maintain that relationship with their vet, at least for a while.  I could be wrong, but I imagine most vets are a little more open to home-cooked diets than they are to raw.

IMO home-cooked, if done in a balanced way, is probably healthier than the commercial food, and I would think it would be easier for an animal having health issues to adjust to home-cooked.  Then, as their health improves, and the owner sees the improvement, my hope is that the owner will be motivated to learn more about species-appropriate nutrition and educate themselves about raw.  Baby steps.  Just my  2cents.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 02:48:15 PM »
Bumping this thread, as I finally got to send the message to my brother's co-worker.  :)
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: