Author Topic: Chicken Jerkey Treats Warning  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Chicken Jerkey Treats Warning
« on: November 25, 2011, 01:56:46 AM »
http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/21/8885427-chicken-jerky-treats-linked-to-mystery-illnesses-deaths-in-dogs
snippet
Chicken jerky treats may be to blame for dozens of new reports of mysterious illnesses and some deaths in dogs, prompting a renewed warning for pet owners by the Food and Drug Administration.

At least 70 dogs have been sickened so far this year after reportedly eating chicken jerky products imported from China, FDA officials said. That’s up from 54 reports of illness in 2010. Some of the dogs have died, according to the anecdotal reports from pet owners and veterinarians.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 02:20:50 AM by Shadow »
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Chicken Jerkey Treats Warning
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 10:54:46 AM »
 :o  Imagine how many reports have NOT been filed! 

Thanks for the recall info, Shadow.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 02:39:32 PM »
We took Babee to our friend's house for Thanksgiving.  They know we feed her a raw diet, so we put their kibble out of reach. 
There came a moment when they broke out some treats for the doggies, and they very politely asked if it would be okay for Babee, since they were "100% chicken" jerky treats.  My first question was, "Were they made in China?"
Their first response was, "Oh no.  They are a USA product.  We got them from Petco".  I was dubious.
Then, Mom read the label, "Actually, they ARE made in China, but distributed via USA.  That's pretty tricky."
Sadly, I had to say "no" to the chicken treats, and explained about the issue of melamine in chicken feed.  I just don't trust that China's poultry industry has amended it's ways.

meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 07:50:21 PM »
We took Babee to our friend's house for Thanksgiving.  They know we feed her a raw diet, so we put their kibble out of reach. 
There came a moment when they broke out some treats for the doggies, and they very politely asked if it would be okay for Babee, since they were "100% chicken" jerky treats.  My first question was, "Were they made in China?"
Their first response was, "Oh no.  They are a USA product.  We got them from Petco".  I was dubious.
Then, Mom read the label, "Actually, they ARE made in China, but distributed via USA.  That's pretty tricky."
Sadly, I had to say "no" to the chicken treats, and explained about the issue of melamine in chicken feed.  I just don't trust that China's poultry industry has amended it's ways.

Agree...on both counts.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: