Author Topic: Replacing Cable TV with Hulu Live TV or ?  (Read 970 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Replacing Cable TV with Hulu Live TV or ?
« on: May 25, 2018, 09:54:34 AM »
I have been thinking about ditching cable TV for a VERY long time.  Getting the hubby onboard to make the change... not so easy.

We already have Apple TV and Chromecast, so not much to change on our end.

I am curious how much my internet usage will spike though. 

Has anyone "cut the cord?"
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Replacing Cable TV with Hulu Live TV or ?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 11:08:25 PM »
I don't know about doing that. I know for a fact that we get 1024 gigs a month (2 months over that without charge), so I suppose it depends on how much your TV is actually on. Here at the house, the one here in the living room is on 24/7, because if we're not watching it, it's set for the dogs.

We just got back from a place where the only thing our digital receiver would pick up was 4 PBS stations--2 for adults and 2 for children. We ended up using the wi-fi of the park and had Comcast.net streaming through our computer to watch a few things at night.

Streaming only at night from about 7:30 to 9:30, Monday through Thursday night and an hour of news in the morning for the weather, we ended up using 20 gigs in our comcast internet account according to the monitor I just looked at. If my exhausted brain is right, we used 20 gigs for around 15 hours. We'd go way over those 1024 gigs if we were streaming something all the time.

I'll leave the math up to you for a whole month since I don't know the hours of your watching habits.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 12:01:57 AM »
I thought about the internet usage going up, but haven't done the math.  I did wonder if it was more for people that have their TVs on for an hour or so... very little usage. 

If it was just me, I would go with an antenna and leave it at that.  Silly7
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 12:03:40 AM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 06:45:15 AM »
I haven't had tv since February when TW went digital.  My TV is too old to be hooked up to digital cable box so I have no TV.  I don't miss it at all, I never watched it anyway. I'm still paying for it though because I was told I have a "bundle" price and if I drop the TV my phone and internet will double.

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 08:58:06 AM »
I haven't had tv since February when TW went digital.  My TV is too old to be hooked up to digital cable box so I have no TV.  I don't miss it at all, I never watched it anyway. I'm still paying for it though because I was told I have a "bundle" price and if I drop the TV my phone and internet will double.

You may want to revisit with your provider and ask to speak to customer retention instead of minimum-wage-cue-card-reader. Do you have options as far as providers are concerned?

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 09:01:18 AM »
Hulu, Netflix, AmazonPrime. SO needs his daily fix:>) About 30/month and an unbelievable variety of documentaries from history to nature as well as foreign movies. He has some sort of antenna for local channels. It was around $30 at Amazon.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 09:34:47 AM »
You may want to revisit with your provider and ask to speak to customer retention instead of minimum-wage-cue-card-reader. Do you have options as far as providers are concerned?

Thanks for the tip.

What do you mean by options?  You mean for phone and internet service? Whether I do or not, it is beyond my capability to "shop around" and try different things. I need to keep my life peaceful. Time Warner is what I have and will stick with.  But one of these days I will try to make myself call and see if I can stop paying for TV I don't get without interrupting or increasing the cost of my phone and internet.

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 11:12:09 AM »
Thanks for the tip.

What do you mean by options?  You mean for phone and internet service? Whether I do or not, it is beyond my capability to "shop around" and try different things. I need to keep my life peaceful. Time Warner is what I have and will stick with.  But one of these days I will try to make myself call and see if I can stop paying for TV I don't get without interrupting or increasing the cost of my phone and internet.

We had one option when we moved here - Cox. No choice as I need high speed internet. Now ATT and Dish moved in.
Work your way up the food chain in the call center and make sure they are not selling you a new bundle with hook up fees!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 12:10:45 PM »
Hulu, Netflix, AmazonPrime. SO needs his daily fix:>) About 30/month and an unbelievable variety of documentaries from history to nature as well as foreign movies. He has some sort of antenna for local channels. It was around $30 at Amazon.

Hulu Live TV would eliminate the need for an antenna for local channels.  Also by accessing it via GoogleChrome (on one TV) and AppleTV on another... AmazonPrime and Netflix also easily accessible.  PLUS, it comes with a DVR Cloud option... no box!  Any channel I would want to watch is available. 

40 bucks a month.

Tags: