Author Topic: Wow, THAT Was Quick! Pet Tattoos Banned in NY  (Read 6318 times)

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Wow, THAT Was Quick! Pet Tattoos Banned in NY
« on: June 21, 2014, 09:22:55 AM »
Last year (2103)

(ANIMAL CRUELTY) Apparently getting your pet tattooed and pierced is an actual thing now. It’s a big enough problem that assembly member Linda Rosenthal is working on implementing legislation that would prevent irresponsible guardians from inflicting such reckless pain on their pets. Linda Rosenthal said, “There are hundreds upon hundreds of Youtube videos and websites that show animals that have studs in their ears, tattoos on their backs, and it’s really horrifying…I want to make it a criminal offense.”

As for the temporary dog tattoos, Rosenthal still thinks gluing rhinestones on your pitbull is wrong-headed. “You have to let them have their integrity and dignity. And putting stupid little sparkles on them, I think it looks foolish,” she said.
“People have to understand that animals are separate from human companions. They’re not an extension of them, and you should not do things to your animals that you would do to yourself.
http://www.globalanimal.org/2013/05/03/tramp-stamps-arent-meant-for-dogs/
]
And then this happened this year, 3 months ago:
Posted: 03/06/2014 1Outrage After Brooklyn Tattoo Artist Mistah Metro Inks His Own Dog, Posts Photo

The ASPCA condones the use of tattooing for only identification purposes following spay or neuter surgery.

A tattoo artist in New York was very proud that he had given a tattoo to his dog, but now he’s getting some backlash.
He posted a photo of his dog with its new tattoo to Instagram with the caption “My dog is cooler than yours!”
The dog had her spleen removed and he figured, as long as she was under anesthesia, he might as well give her a tattoo. The tattoo has his wife’s name and a heart.
Online, people were angry and a spokesman for ASPCA denounced it.
... he had to quit his tattoo job because of all the attention.
http://wgntv.com/2014/03/07/internet-flips-out-after-man-posts-photo-of-tattooed-dog/

Now:

Sorry New Yorkers, You Can No Longer Tattoo Your Pets
http://time.com/2901069/new-york-tattoo-pet/

New York Passes Bill To Outlaw Tattooing Pets

June 19, 2014 3:04 PM ET
   http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/06/19/323687311/new-york-passes-bill-to-outlaw-tattooing-pets?

Medical marijuana and safer streets may be a wash, but Albany has reacted swiftly to one particular scourge: pets with tattoos & piercings. A bill banning companion animal tattoos and piercings for any reason other than identification or medical purposes passed both houses and now awaits Governor Cuomo's signature.
“Companion animals, such as dogs and cats, will no longer be subject to the selfish whims of their owners, who place vanity above the health and safety of their animals,” the bill's sponsor, Assemblymember Linda Rosenthal said.

http://gothamist.com/2014/06/19/piercing_tattooing_your_pet_will_so.php

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Wow, THAT Was Quick! Pet Tattoos Banned in NY
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 01:37:31 PM »
I think tattooing your pet is major creepy... whether s/he is "under," having something else done or not.  Furkids aren't pet rocks.  They are living breathing beings. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 01:54:46 PM »
I think tattooing your pet is major creepy... whether s/he is "under," having something else done or not.  Furkids aren't pet rocks.  They are living breathing beings. 

I equate it with piercing a young child's ears. Yes, it's cute, but that's not your body, and you don't know what the child might prefer when they're old enough to make sound decisions on their own. If the subject isn't old enough to make rational decisions, and/or can't speak for themselves, then you shouldn't modify their body just for kicks.

I especially can't understand why someone would tattoo an animal when the human knows good and darned well about how painful tats are.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 05:36:37 PM »
I have sent an e mail to assembly member Linda Rosenthal, to see if she'd be interested in campaigning against declawing.

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 06:49:24 PM »

Not being in a town in California, here is what she'd be up against: 

Despite being the 3rd most populous state in the country, there are 7 no-declaw vets listed on the pawproject listings in the state of NY, one of whom is all-mobile. 

And statements like this:   

•https://www.avma.org/kb/policies/pages/declawing-of-domestic-cats.aspx

•   Scientific data do indicate that cats that have destructive scratching behavior are more likely to be euthanatized, or more readily relinquished, released, or abandoned, thereby contributing to the homeless cat population. Where scratching behavior is an issue as to whether or not a particular cat can remain as an acceptable household pet in a particular home, surgical onychectomy may be considered.

•   There is no scientific evidence that declawing leads to behavioral abnormalities when the behavior of declawed cats is compared with that of cats in control groups.

Don't imagine the first statement helps all the declawed cats currently in shelters & rescues... I'd be interested to know a rough %, honestly.

Also, how is "destructive scratching behavior" consistently defined?   That is very subjective!  Kitty scratches a child who is teasing, or scratching on furniture?   

How many know that cats may even like to -- and need to --  scratch both vertically and horozontally? How many people are educated before getting their cat? They go with "the mainstream". 

(I didn't   Doh1 Thought horizontal was just fine for one particular cat I know because her mom said she's never bothered the cat trees/posts but LOVES the cardboard floor ones!!  Here she just don't like carpet and prefers cardboard; confirmed when a cardboard one was propped up against a wall she'd try to scratch vertically ... Doh1 )     And on and on... 

It's ALL about EDUCATION.   And the statements above are not "education", IMO. This should be explained explicitly among the statements on the site, and pictures as posted in the other thread should be mandatory so that it is FULLY understood in layman's terms:

Procedure involves disarticulation of the P2/P3 junction and subsequent removal of entire P3 bone

Instead of selling carb-laden cereal and performing amputations, perhaps they should stack their lobbies with scratchers, or literature & brochures for them!!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 07:14:55 PM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 07:28:02 PM »
Yes, education is important. We have to start somewhere CC.

I wrote to her because she has a record of interest in animal welfare.  There are some good laws have been passed in my state, animal cruelty is a felony, Buster's Law it's called.  I don't wish to refresh myself of the details. Animal cruelty convicted felons have to register whenever they are living, too in several counties so far, I don't think it is a statewide law yet.  So there is some animal welfare interest in this state.

I can't even generate any interest in getting the documentary here, but I don't know how to do it either.  There is a vet here who is very active in rescue, and runs a spay neuter clinic and so on and so forth, but she is a freaking butcher and pushes declawing in a most unethical way, in my opinion.  I think she is evil, no matter how much work she does in rescue and spay/neuter programs, because of the declaw issue.

I've tried a few times to write a "letter to the editor" but the letter always comes off sounding too emotional and personal, I can't seem to tone it down any.

This area is just clueless about declawing and how awful it is.  I've got to find a way to get people interested.

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 08:00:50 PM »
Yes, education is important. We have to start somewhere CC.

I wrote to her because she has a record of interest in animal welfare.  There are some good laws have been passed in my state, animal cruelty is a felony, Buster's Law it's called.  I don't wish to refresh myself of the details. Animal cruelty convicted felons have to register whenever they are living, too in several counties so far, I don't think it is a statewide law yet.  So there is some animal welfare interest in this state.

That's great, MC   HeadButt    In my area they are cracking down on animal cruelty too.  I didn't want to beat this dead horse anymore but ANYthing which does not jive with what the mianstream veterinarians are doing -- that is the biggest hurdle here.

I can't even generate any interest in getting the documentary here, but I don't know how to do it either.  There is a vet here who is very active in rescue, and runs a spay neuter clinic and so on and so forth, but she is a freaking butcher and pushes declawing in a most unethical way, in my opinion.  I think she is evil, no matter how much work she does in rescue and spay/neuter programs, because of the declaw issue.

I hea you.   Somebody can act like Mother Theresa but when it comes to policies (revenue stream), it's a whole 'nother ballgame.   :(  It's like the other people who loooove bragging about how much they help homeless animals and donate goods. it's all a "front", IMO -- plenty of slimy marketers around to guide them. 

I've tried a few times to write a "letter to the editor" but the letter always comes off sounding too emotional and personal, I can't seem to tone it down any.

Trust me, MC -- I doubt there was ANYthing wrong with your submissions.  Even if you "tone it down" and sound like Ernest Hemingway, some areas/regions just will NOT go against the mainstream. And the mainstream media -- they are not into the whole truth, or all the facts, on ANYthing -- unless it involves some "celebrity" (and even then it's hardly ever the truth).  Just snips to "grab" people. 
Remember the Growlies' saga with that Vet commenting on an article about them selling/advocating RAW? 
They are strictly into "grab-lines" and that's it.  They wouldn't research anything for themselves anyway. News Journalism died sometime in the last '80s.

This area is just clueless about declawing and how awful it is.  I've got to find a way to get people interested.

Because their Vets do it. People are NOT going to doubt their Vets no matter how many pictures and proof we show them  -- straight in front of them.

"If it's so bad, why is my Vet OK with it?
 "Where's your Diploma and Licence?"   
"Stop reading stuff on the Internet. Those kooks can't know more than vets!"

It's two-fold because, it's soooooo conveniently available and a HUGE revenue flow, and **this person summed things up on the pet owners' end: EDIT:  **An AWESOME Ethical Veterinarian!!

Fact is Americans want quick fixes to their problems. Cut the claws off. But when their cat starts peeing outside the box or starts biting family members it gets surrendered to the over full rescues. Then this quick fix cat owner goes to get a new "good" kitty to replace the bad kitty and do the same declaw quick fix solution to scratching to the new cat/kitten.

More interesting comments on  http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/09/130911-declawing-cats-paw-project-vets-pets/

Fact is JAVMA editors will not publish declaw research papers! JAVMA editors refuse to undo the harm their professional journal has done to cats. Jennifer Conrad's declaw repair research paper was rejected by JAVMA editors.

Fact is even our veterinary anatomists do not agree on the feline paw anatomy. Is there a digital extensor tendon attached to the top of P2 in a cat's finger? The anatomy experts DO NOT AGREE! This fact is critical to why painful hyperflexion occurs in at least 30% of the declawed cats we examine at our practice!

A survey of 276 clients (of those same veterinarians who guessed that 57% of their clients would have gotten rid of their cats) found that a whopping 4% would have seriously considered doing so. Because this study was published in a journal that few vets even know exists, it has remained obscure, and most vets who favor declawing use only the flawed and 99%-wrong figures. (Landsberg GM. Cat owners’ attitudes toward declawing. “Anthrozoos” 1991;4:192-197.)"

When I checked the adoptable cat listings on Petfinder.com, I found some interesting data that should have people interested in really studying this. I found that 14.5% of adoptable declawed cats were listed by shelters or rescue groups as NOT suitable for homes with young children (due to behavoiur issues, including aggression) vs. 8.64% of non declawed cats. The sample size of that info was even larger than the Canadian surveys. 

We are a long way from banning declawing. However, we, as owners, do have control of where we take our cats to be declawed. All veterinarian hospitals are NOT created equal.
In our practice, feline patients under going declaw procedures are given Gabapentin (pain reliever) 3 days prior to surgery. We ensure each patient has appropriate iv pain medication during surgery. We perform local blocks which block the pain pathway. And we send the patient home on Gabapentin and a opiode.

My mom is a medical professional and well educated about human anatomy, so she had no idea what declawing entailed - until we went to pick up the cat from the vet's. We were totally horrified and dumbfounded. Our shock made the vet tech so unnerved that she had trouble explaining the cat's aftercare. Even though that was some 20 years ago, I routinely run into cat owners who don't know what declawing is.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 08:29:57 PM by CarnivorousCritter »

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 08:39:48 PM »
LOLA,

Is there a way to make the images on this page http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=2835.msg19071#msg19071   public & post them here too,  so that anyone just lurking can see them?

Or a way to sticky them as images somewhere in public view? 

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 08:43:50 PM »
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 04:33:35 PM by Lola, Reason: Made your link a picture »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 09:05:47 PM »

You need the opening--> [ img ] and closing--> [ /img ] tags w/o spaces in them before and after the photo link.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 09:14:18 PM »
Thanks  :)     Is there a way to make it public?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 09:16:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's not. I usually find out I'm not signed in when I can't see photos--or the member's only section.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 04:30:43 PM »
A tattoo artist in New York was very proud that he had given a tattoo to his dog, but now he’s getting some backlash.

He posted a photo of his dog with its new tattoo to Instagram with the caption “My dog is cooler than yours!”

The dog had her spleen removed and he figured, as long as she was under anesthesia, he might as well give her a tattoo. The tattoo has his wife’s name and a heart.

Online, people were angry and a spokesman for ASPCA denounced it.

The tattoo artists’ friends say he’s a great guy who loves his dog and would never do anything to hurt it or anyone.

But he had to quit his tattoo job because of all the attention.

Just bolded a few things, for clarification.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 04:37:38 PM »
CC,
If you click on the "insert image" little box... it is the first box, on the bottom row, of the two rows of little boxes.   Silly7  I THINK the "insert image" box has a picture of Mona Lisa... too small for me to see. 

Anyway... click on that, and then put your image link between [ img ][ /img ] , and your image will show up, in a post.  OR highlight your posted link, and then click on the "insert image" box. 

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 07:38:16 PM »
Thanks, Lola.  ^

Just bolded a few things, for clarification.

Just a disclaimer:   I certainly wouldn't endorse tattooing of pets like that.  But thanks for clarifying just how warped and misguided the animal-loving, "share"-happy lynch-mobs' "priorities" are.

Funny, NO mention of those *both pierced AND tattooed* kittens in ALLL the headlines this past week, or on other "pet" forums (even "cats") -- notice that?

Still wondering (and will forever, apparently) if these SAME people in such an outrage over him, would act/do the same if/when they knew/know what declawing really IS. 

It's like:

Let's exert all of our energy to publicly shame and "get" a Honda customer service rep fired for messing up on my billing and making my bank overdraw, making me pay a fee.  2,000 "Likes" and forwards,  no problem!!   

At the same time, when we and/or people we know were permanently hurt due to GM's current recall issues -- by all means!! - never question, and continue to be faithful to and patronise GM/Chevy dealers everywhere!!  We STILL want their cars!  NOW!  Because they are a much more longtime "trusted" maker!!   It's not their fault they need to profit by whatever means possible!!!  This ecomony is even rougher than ever!  :'(
Same logic. 

And even more than THAT I wonder why people like that blogger, in such a heat over Martha's *opinion*, has no issues or ***CONCERNS*** WHATSOEVER ...
oh forget it  Doh1

Discclaimer: Have NEVER been a Martha fan. Ever. Can't even stand her voice!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 07:56:15 PM by CarnivorousCritter »

Tags: