Author Topic: Good Live Video on Effects of Spay & Neuter (especially early)  (Read 1089 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Good Live Video on Effects of Spay & Neuter (especially early)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 10:11:46 AM »
Karen Becker has more faith in the general population, then I do...
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 10:35:53 AM »
I think that her points about vasectomies and partial hysterectomies is spot on. Remove the possibility of pregnancies without removing the hormones because most people aren't as anal as we are about keeping them leashed and away from other dogs.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 11:01:24 AM »
Okay, I didn't watch the actual video.   :-[  I don't like to watch info.  I like to READ it.  lol

Also, I stopped reading her posts or articles that had anything to do with spay or neutering because... she (and others) often gives the impression to not spay or neuter.  THE END.  The rest of the info is in the message. 

I imagine people reading the headlines and then leaving their pets capable of creating more, because... "Dr Becker said it is best!" 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 11:36:13 AM »
One of these days I'll adopt something. I think maybe a Greyhound. I'm going to talk to the rescue about getting me one that's intact and letting me have a vasectomy instead of them neutering it. I'm mostly hoping I'm too old by the time these are gone though.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 12:48:55 PM »
Okay, I didn't watch the actual video.   :-[  I don't like to watch info.  I like to READ it.  lol

Also, I stopped reading her posts or articles that had anything to do with spay or neutering because... she (and others) often gives the impression to not spay or neuter.  THE END.  The rest of the info is in the message. 

I imagine people reading the headlines and then leaving their pets capable of creating more, because... "Dr Becker said it is best!" 

My feelings, exactly.  From preferring to read (I never watch "informative" videos, if I can't read it, I will have to remain uniformed  Silly7) to your opinions on Dr Becker and her crusade to keep all family pets intact. She's downright irresponsible on the subject in my opinion.

I've really lost a lot of my respect for her over the past couple of years, not just because of this but other things too.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 01:33:39 PM »

I've really lost a lot of my respect for her over the past couple of years, not just because of this but other things too.

I skip over the stuff where I don't agree with her.  I do LOVE that she is "going after" the PFI.  I love that she strongly encourages raw feeding. 

I'm not likely to agree with everyone on everything.  If I totally blew him/her off, there would be no DVMs to quote.  People want to know that a DVM suggested this or that. 

Another example, (for me) is Dr. Jean Hovfe.  She has some STRONG opinions on a few things (not pet related)..where I believe the polar opposite.  I considered no longer following her on Facebook.  Her posts were getting to me.  I didn't want to not like her.  If that makes any sense.   Silly7  I decided to TRY to stay open minded.  Everyone has an opinion... 

Tags: