Author Topic: Hydrocortisone For Addison's  (Read 985 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Hydrocortisone For Addison's
« on: April 20, 2018, 11:25:19 AM »
They both had their recent yearly visits, (Barkly just fine as usual) and we talked about hydrocortisone therapy (instead of prednisone) for Vlad since I've recently seen someone whose dog is on Hydrocortisone and Percorten for Addison's.

Their vet hadn't heard of it, but he wanted to learn about it anyway. He called me back and told me that there IS a protocol for using hydrocortisone instead of prednisone, BUT. . .always a but somewhere, isn't it? It seems that hydrocortisone has both a glucocorticoid AND a mineralocorticoid component.

Therefore, I'm not opting to try this right now since we have Vlad's Percorten (mineralocorticoid) balanced so well. He'd have to have blood tests every 28 days again until we figured out what was what, and I just don't want to go through that again if I can avoid it--unless he develops some kind of liver or kidney disease. Then I'd want to move to it since it wouldn't have to broken down by his body like prednisone does.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: