Author Topic: Can't seem to let it go  (Read 1944 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Can't seem to let it go
« on: May 04, 2014, 07:24:43 AM »
Mazy had gone 15 days with no regurgitation and was dong GREAT!. Yesterday I started a new batch of By Nature chicken&liver. 

Things I KNOW:

-When starting a new batch, even of a familiar food, Mazy needs to be given it in very tiny portions at first, as if it was a brand new food, because to her system, it IS a brand new food.

-When Mazy has gone more than 3 hours without food, no matter WHAT food she is given, it needs to be in tiny amounts spaced at least a half hour apart.

Yesterday I was so tired I slept on the couch all day.  I woke up at 5:45 alarmed that I had missed a Mazy feeding. 

Checking the journal I saw it had been almost six hours since she ate. What I normally would do, and should have done, was give her a small serving of By Nature turkey & chicken (still have some of that, still transitioning) waited a half hour, then fed them all their supper.

What I did instead was open a can of the new batch of By nature chicken&liver, give her .3 oz, then, less than 10 minutes later give her another .3 oz with krill oil in it.

WHAT THE HECK WAS I THINKING?

Of COURSE she, immediately upon finishing, started running and regurgitating, and it was ALL. MY. FAULT.

Gawd I am still so angry at myself  I paid no attention to everything I know about her and her digestion needs.  Why wasn't I working toward extending that 15 days to another day and another, instead of setting up a situation which guaranteed puke?

I just don't understand myself sometimes.  How can I be so freaking STUPID.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Can't seem to let it go
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 10:49:22 AM »
I don't think it's stupid to be thinking "maybe this time" in hopes that their health has improved. I don't think it's stupid to hope that you're going to be able to do without that turkey and things will improve without having it.

I think maybe your subconscious is working to make you realize you're going to run out of the turkey, and you're going to reach a point where you can't fall back on it. So, I don't think you should beat yourself up over it. As awful as it seems, this is one of those times where that irritating "It is what it is," quote fits.

I can't remember. Have you tried some apple cider vinegar with the mother in it with Mazy to see if it helps her digest her food? Maybe an amount as small as 1/16 or 1/32 of a teaspoon to start with?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 11:48:48 AM »
Beating yourself up, isn't going to change ANYTHING.  Kick yourself once in the azz, if that will make you feel better... and then move forward.  ;) 

You are human.   xo
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 01:09:48 PM »
Thanks you guys. Dee I wasn't thinking "maybe this time".  There is no "maybe this time" for Mazy.  This is as good as it gets for her. It's not about the transitioning of the turkey&chicken to the chicken&liver.  ANY food difference has to be done in tiny increments, including new batches of the same food she eats all the time.

The transition is going fine.

I just can't understand why I did that.  Why I didn't follow what should by now be an ingrained process when feeding Mazy cat?  I mean, seriously, WHY?

I'm just furious with myself that I forced that puke episode on her like that.  Lola thanks for your encouragement.  In a few more days I know I will get passed it, I've done stupid mistakes like this before and eventually got over it.  Today she is okay so far, so at least, hopefully, I haven't triggered a week long daily puking phase.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 02:45:57 PM »
I hope I will explain this right. 

There are things I do every single day... like a robot.  Because I am in robot mode... if there is the slightest change, whether it be my routine or something else.... I can screw up (If I'm not 100% on my game), or I have to reallllly think about what it is that I am doing. 

Your wake-up time changed.  You were in a panic, when you did wake up. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 05:45:11 PM »
Thank you Lola. I've been sooo tired lately with all the overtime.  Tomorrow will probably be the last day of it. Mazy is fine today, which is another way of me knowing it really was my fault.  Usually when she has a regurgitation episode it carries on for a few days. Hopefully in a day or two I will be able to get over it and move on.  I don't like feeling so angry and frustrated with myself.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 12:01:25 PM »
Beating yourself up, isn't going to change ANYTHING.  Kick yourself once in the azz, if that will make you feel better... and then move forward.  ;) 

You are human.   xo

I agree with Lola.  You were likely tired, and not thinking clearly (I know I sometimes get that "after-nap fuzzyhead" where it takes a while for my brain to really wake up), or as Lola said, you panicked.  You can't go back in time, so getting angry at yourself doesn't change anything, and in fact, if the furkids pick up on your mood, it may upset them as well.  Plus, it can't be good for your health, either, and they need you.

"Finish each day and be done with it . . . You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can.  Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it well and serenely."  --Ralph Waldo Emerson

grouphug
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 04:18:08 PM »
Of course, it would be great if I could follow my own advice!   funny2
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 06:48:10 PM »
Thanks yu guys.  It helps, a LOT.  HeadButt

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 08:11:59 PM »
Be pizzed at the RX kibble censored .  THAT is where the blame belongs.   flaming angry

HeadButt to you and Mazy.

Tags: