Author Topic: Well I left the grocery store in tears today  (Read 2574 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Well I left the grocery store in tears today
« on: March 25, 2018, 01:26:33 PM »
They've stopped carrying the Coleman brand organic chicken (USDA Certified and Non-GMO Project Verified) and replaced it with their own brand, inferior product.  What am I going to feed Mazy cat now?  I've been to the three other stores.  One carries the brand, but only breasts and drumsticks (no thighs) at an exorbitant price.  I'll pay it, but how am I going to provide her with thigh meat?

I will never, ever have pets again.  It's just impossible to feed them.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Well I left the grocery store in tears today
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 01:35:53 PM »
They've stopped carrying the Coleman brand organic chicken (USDA Certified and Non-GMO Project Verified) and replaced it with their own brand, inferior product.  What am I going to feed Mazy cat now?  I've been to the three other stores.  One carries the brand, but only breasts and drumsticks (no thighs) at an exorbitant price.  I'll pay it, but how am I going to provide her with thigh meat?

I will never, ever have pets again.  It's just impossible to feed them.

>:(

It's not impossible to feed them if you get them young and don't have to do damage control.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 02:05:30 PM »
Thanks Dee.  However, that is not always true either.  Their systems can be damaged by what their mother was fed while carrying/nursing them. And what they were fed before adoption.

In any case I am much too old to be adopting young animals. I am really at my wits end about Mazy cat's diet now, again. I have bought the drumsticks, but I really need thigh for her. She gets little enough variety as it is.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 02:31:40 PM »
I hate to be a doofus, but what is wrong with drumsticks and breast meat?  I do know that dark meat is better, but the drumsticks will take care of that.  ??
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 03:03:08 PM »
Nothing is wrong with them.. It's variety for her I am after. The Coleman thigh was her only chance to get thigh meat. It's quite obvious that the Rad Cat chicken and turkey (her other source of food) is using mainly drumstick meat now. You can tell, because drumsticks have all those tendon things, that thigh meat does not have. And the RC is full of those now.

I did buy a duck breast from Rocky Mountain cuts when I ordered her next batch of Cornish hens.  I haven't ground it up for her yet though, it's still in the freezer. I meant to do it today but didn't take it out to thaw enough for cutting, and I'm running out of steam for the day.

https://rockymtncuts.com/product/organic-free-range-duck-breast/

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 03:10:59 PM »
You may be able to place a special order with the meat manager.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 03:36:23 PM »
You may be able to place a special order with the meat manager.

Thank you.  I am thinking about that. Back in the days when I fed canned, My Tolly (seizure kitty) I never found anything but one kind of canned food he would eat.  Someone else was always stripping the shelves of it, so I started special ordering cases of it.  Inevitably they put the cases out, and my order was never there.

(Of course I know way more now than I did then about feeding and know how to get cats to eat other things, it was a long time ago )

Anyway, the other reason I would prefer to get it from that store is because the other store (the one I went to today and got the Coleman breasts and drumsticks) I just don't trust their meat.  Even when I am buying pre-packaged brand meat such as Coleman, it always has a slight odor and a slimy feel. I don't think they keep it cold enough.

One final thought.....I was under the impression that Coleman does not use chlorinated water on their organic meats.  It was one of the reasons I had my little fit in the store today.  I WAS going to buy the store brand organic chicken, I was at the check out with it, and had already swiped the packages......then I saw the tell tale white lines all through the meat. So I called the attendant to take them off my tab.

The Coleman doesn't have those white lines..at least not that I had ever noticed.  But I've been to their website, and they do not make the claim that they do NOT use chlorinated water (like the meats at Rocky Mountain do). So if Mazy cat has been eating chlorinated meat all along.....

But still..the store brand is NOT Non-GMO Project Verified.  The label says No GMOs but it is not Non-GMO Project Verified.

All this is my fault, I am the one who fed her that toxic garbage for so long.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 03:47:36 PM »
I was reading this just yesterday about little white lines in chicken:

Whole article at: http://mentalfloss.com/article/508493/what-those-white-stripes-chicken-breasts-mean-your-health

“White striping” occurs when factory farmers breed birds to grow faster and larger, a practice Compassion in World Farming brought to light in a recent video. This can lead to adverse health effects for chickens, including muscular tissue disorders. Sometimes the disorders manifest in white lines that cut through the meat, creating a striped or “wooden” appearance.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 04:00:05 PM »
Well that's interesting. And horrible. I had read that it is caused by the chlorinated water.   The chicken breast I buy for Jennie and Queen Eva does have the white lines but they have to grin and bear it.

Huh. Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read on the internet hahahahaha!

Paying organic prices, I expect meat without those white lines, whatever causes them.

And if it's not from chlorinated water, that makes me feel safer about feeding it to Mazy cat but not happy, again, paying prices for organic supposedly humanely raised meat, only to know that they were NOT humanely raised.

Thanks Dee

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 04:24:57 PM »
You're welcome. Did you go to the link in the tweet at the bottom to watch this video?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 06:12:43 PM »
Nothing is wrong with them.. It's variety for her I am after. The Coleman thigh was her only chance to get thigh meat.

Gotcha!  In MY world "variety" means a variety of proteins (chicken, turkey, duck, rabbit, etc), not so much the actual body parts.  No, that doesn't mean I would accept chicken eye balls. 
Variety also means (to me) different sources.  Hare-Today, Raw Feeding Miami, My Pet Carnivore, grocer store, etc.
Soooooo in MY world, if I was happy with the brand of chicken that you are happy with... thigh vs drumstick wouldn't bother me too much. 
I am NOT saying cross over to my world.  Just explaining.

Also, TRY to remember... "We do the best we can."   Hug1
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 06:26:45 PM »
Gotcha!  In MY world "variety" means a variety of proteins (chicken, turkey, duck, rabbit, etc), not so much the actual body parts.  No, that doesn't mean I would accept chicken eye balls. 
Variety also means (to me) different sources.  Hare-Today, Raw Feeding Miami, My Pet Carnivore, grocer store, etc.
Soooooo in MY world, if I was happy with the brand of chicken that you are happy with... thigh vs drumstick wouldn't bother me too much. 
I am NOT saying cross over to my world.  Just explaining.

Also, TRY to remember... "We do the best we can."   Hug1

Yes I know. That's the way most people mean it, including me for Jennie and Queen Eva.

But the only meat Mazy CAN eat is chicken (with the exception of Rad Cat turkey). So variety, to her, means chicken breast and chicken thigh. 1/3 of her diet is Rad Cat turkey, the rest chicken.  Variety, to Mazy cat, also means different sources of the same meat.  Every piece of meat will provide a smidgen of difference, including where the meat was raised and what it was fed. For cats that can eat a wide range of proteins, this smidgen of different doesn't matter. To Mazy cat, it matters. :)

So I get her Cornish hens from Rocky Mountain, and (up until now) her chicken breast and chicken though from the grocery store, plus her Rad Cat chicken and Rad Cat turkey.

And now I have that chunk of duck breast in the freezer.  But it's not good timing to try her on something new, I am about to be very busy at work with trice the exhaustion at the end of the day, especially working late.

Tags: