Author Topic: Who feeds Merricks BG canned?  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Who feeds Merricks BG canned?
« on: March 19, 2012, 10:13:35 PM »
I bought another case of different flavours  of this food, have not bought it in a while. (no quail this time)
I think this will be my last purchase. Have to take it back there are so many cans that smell rancid to me.
The Beef, also the Salmon and Turkey. The Salmon has the strongest rancid smell.  Also the color seems to be different with each, one can of chicken will be darker than another.
Anyone else experience this? or is it just me?
I also but 3 cans of Authority just to try it out. Well it smelled like rancid with a cat urine smell to it.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Who feeds Merricks BG canned?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:17:40 AM »
Seems like I saw something about this elsewhere recently too but I don't remember where.  I feed BG, but the cases I am feeding from were purchased last September. However, I am now remembering that I did have some trouble last summer with cases being delivered with the tops of the cans being unsealed.  I think there was a problem with that, because the next shipment I got, in September, the style of the can and lids has been changed.

What's the numbers and dates on your cans?

Here's a lot number from one of the cases (turkey it was) where the lids had come unsealed:

Best by 11 JUN 13

11162 CL2 20474 0953

I happened to have a can saved from then.  I don't have any of the others.  I got my money back from the place I purchased them, at the time.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 09:24:13 AM »
PS also, the batches are inconsistent with BG. (with all foods I think).  when I was griping about this elsewhere someone suggested the theory that because the food not produced from highly processed ingredients, you get batch inconsistencies. It's feasible that you get a natural variation in color and consistency depending upon the source (of whatever protein base) in the food

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 12:31:21 PM »
I have a few different dates. The ones that have June 11/13 are the ones with the different lids (no writing on top)
The other ones have writing on the top. Some are Aug, and some are Nov 24/12
I checked each can for dents, etc, before purchasing. Though I did not even look at the dates when I bought them.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 09:16:14 PM »
It is in rotation for 5 out of 7 of the felines.  So far, I have yet to see any issues. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: