Author Topic: Question's about Dr Elsey's Precious Cat  (Read 4901 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Question's about Dr Elsey's Precious Cat
« on: February 08, 2019, 05:45:14 PM »
Does this brand have a fine grain clumping formula? I can't tell by the descriptions and they don't provide pictures.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Question's about Dr Elsey's Precious Cat
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 10:58:37 AM »
Well I have ordered a bag of the Ultra. Going to be running out of Cat's Pride in a month and I need to find something to replace it.

Not happy that it comes in 40 pound bags. Have no idea how I will get it in the house once it is delivered. Would prefer 20 pound recyclable jugs.

I notice they have a grass litter as well.  I do have SmartCat here but Queen Eva is the only one who uses it.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 01:01:29 PM »
I just use the Ultra.  It is big pieces.  That is one of the reasons I like it. 
It also comes in 18 lb bags and 20lb boxes.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 01:32:55 PM »
I did not see those choices on Amazon.  Oh yeah now I see them on Chewy, but I want free shipping, and I can't order enough 20 lb boxes on chewy for that until I know if I like it.

The ultra as described as having both big and medium grain pieces. I don't know if my cats will be able to adjust going back to large litter pieces, after having the fine grain for so many years.

I wish they made a fine grain clumping clay litter.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 05:24:10 PM »
The litter was delivered today, the box was simply dropped in a pile of snow at the far end of my sidewalk.  Fortunately the sidewalk is solid ice at the moment so I was able to push the box, on it's side, all the way to my door, where I simply turned it end over end over end until I got it in the house.

It remains to be seen if the cats will like it, or if I will.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 11:54:04 AM »
I've changed litter several times (due to weight of bag - no issues with actual product), and I always end going back to it.

Out of 6 cats, no one has any issues with it. 
I like the no perfume-y smell.  Cats appreciate it as well.  :)
It has the least amount of dust, of any brand that I have ever tried!
Clumps very well.
NOTHING sticks to their feet.  No litter pieces all over the house.  No white kitty foot prints.  No having to lick their feet clean.

Having an all tile home, a person tends to notice a lot of the negatives that come with many litter brands.  Trust me, this one has the least!

« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 11:56:45 AM by Lola »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 09:54:29 PM »
Thanks for the information, Lola!  Maybe someday, if/when I have a kitty again, I'll give it a try.  Is it expensive compared to other litters?  (I haven't bought litter is several years, so I have no idea anymore).
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 06:15:44 PM »
Thanks Lola.  I do remember you always go back to the Precious Cat Ultra.  Pookie, it's about the same as what I was paying for Cat's Pride natural clumping clay.

I did litter boxes today.  Usually I only have to change out boxes once a month, but with the one box having that light crap in it, it only lasted 2 weeks.  The other box was a bit longer than a month, but the Cat's Pride Natural I was using (that has been discontinued) was always okay even at 5-6 weeks (except for during Jennie's illness)

Anyway so today the end result is one box with Cat's Pride (the kind I like, I have about a month's worth left) one box with the Precious Cat Ultra, and the usual one box with SmartCat grass litter.  That box never needs changing out.  Queen Eva is the only one who uses it, and only a few times a week, pee only. It scoops out cleanly, leaving no broken clump bits, no residue on the box, and no odor.  I haven't dumped it in years.

First user (I didn't see her) was Queen Eva and she used the Cat's Pride. I know it was hers because of size and location of clump.  I don't know if she investigated the Precious Cat Ultra first or not.  There were paw prints in it but they have to walk through one to get to the other, so that doesn't mean much. It didn't look like she dug around in it at all so maybe she didn't even notice it was different.

Mazy cat as usual requested my attendance on her trip down.  She jumped up and used the Precious Cat box.  she didn't seem to notice the litter was different.  She pawed at it once, squatted, peed, got out and turned around and half buried the pee, and hopped down.

I didn't see a lot of litter coming out on her feet.  And the pee clumped INSTANTLY.  I think I've found my replacement litter.

But boy that stuff is heavy once it's wet.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 09:46:55 PM »
I didn't see a lot of litter coming out on her feet.  And the pee clumped INSTANTLY.  I think I've found my replacement litter.

multistars multistars multistars  thumbsup1  :)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 06:10:04 AM »

First user (I didn't see her) was Queen Eva and she used the Cat's Pride. I know it was hers because of size and location of clump.  I don't know if she investigated the Precious Cat Ultra first or not.  There were paw prints in it but they have to walk through one to get to the other, so that doesn't mean much. It didn't look like she dug around in it at all so maybe she didn't even notice it was different.

Mazy cat as usual requested my attendance on her trip down.  She jumped up and used the Precious Cat box.  she didn't seem to notice the litter was different.  She pawed at it once, squatted, peed, got out and turned around and half buried the pee, and hopped down.

But boy that stuff is heavy once it's wet.

Exact same scenario this morning lol.  Queen Eva's little clump was in the same corner of the same box.  Mazy cat led me down and had her same pee in the Precious Cat box, but this time she spent more time sniffing before peeing and more time digging around to bury after. 

One final thing, I just need to see that Queen Eva will use the PC litter.  She usually poops in the box the PC is in, (Mazy cat prefers to poop in the other box) and she is due to poop today.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 04:59:26 AM »
Queen Eva did poop yesterday but she did not use her usual box, which has the Precious Cat in it.  She used the other box. So she has not used the Precious Cat litter yet.

Mazy cat appears to prefer the Precious Cat and has used it exclusively for peeing. She did poop in the Cat's Pride box but that is because she always poops in that box.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 07:03:26 AM »
Queen Eva pooped in the Precious cat box this morning! bananamiddlechild
 It's the first time she has used the PC.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2019, 12:25:44 PM »
multistars

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2019, 12:55:32 PM »
Since the brands are close to being the same-ish, have you thought about mixing new brand and old brand? Maybe 3/4 old and 1/4 new.  Just an idea...

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2019, 02:04:23 PM »
Since the brands are close to being the same-ish, have you thought about mixing new brand and old brand? Maybe 3/4 old and 1/4 new.  Just an idea...

You think they are similar?  I think the two litters are extremely different! The Cat's Pride is a very soft fine litter, light in color.  The Precious Cat is larger pieces, rougher, and with dark bits mixed in.

Both are heavy but the Dr Elsey's Precious Cat is heavier when wet that the Cat's Pride.  I don't care about that though, I do love the instant hard clumps.

When I am down to the last of the Cat's Pride I will mix them in the box that is currently still all Cat's Pride to segue that box into all Precious Cat.  I am not to that point yet.  With only two cats, both healthy and raw fed, I am going through very little litter, comparatively speaking.

The Cat's Pride is lasting much longer than I expected it would.

Tags: