Author Topic: "The Perfect Dog"  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
"The Perfect Dog"
« on: January 29, 2017, 10:10:25 PM »
I've seen infomercials for this lately and wondered if anyone here had any experience with the program.  I didn't get a great feeling watching the informercial, but maybe that's just me.   :-\
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: "The Perfect Dog"
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 09:26:54 AM »
I've never seen the commercials until now. I'll put it this way:

There's no such thing as a perfect person. There's no such thing as a perfect marriage. There's darned sure no such thing as a perfect child--except when one is sleeping. There's no such thing as a perfect dog either, and that gets points deducted right off the bat.

Considering that, there's absolutely no such thing as a perfect trainer if they want anyone to believe that a strong "down," "sit," "stay," "no" and "heel" won't fix the problem. You just have to get the dog's attention (Treats. Lots of Treats.), and a lot of the time it means having the dog be attached to you via leash through the whole day. Five commands. That's all you need for a well-mannered dog. I still bring the leash out in the house and "wear the dog" if one is having a bad day. Taking away their autonomy works better than anything to calm one down.

Now look at the whole kit that's on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Don-Sullivan-Perfect-Results-Training/dp/B00BSG3U20/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485787402&sr=8-1&keywords=the+perfect+dog+reviews

Scroll down and read some of the info. That "patented command collar" is nothing but a newly designed "prong collar," and the info they're giving with it is pure  BSbaloney. "Patented Command Collar Action Works Like a Mother Dog – So why use anything else?"

Like a mother dog my moon2! There's nothing about that collar that's touching the dog where a mother dog touches a puppy--at the scruff of the neck behind the ears. Prong collars stop them by poking them in the underside of the neck. This collar is nothing more than a prong collar that looks different. If the sales-team is going to equate this collar with anything, then they should have equated it with an alpha holding another dog down on its back on the ground with their mouth around the weak, sensitive "kill" part of the neck. That's how prong collars work.

Yes. I always use the mother-dog-catch on puppies we've had. It works. Pulling up some skin back there on the scruff of the neck between forefinger and thumb and GENTLY shaking them while saying, "NO!" doesn't hurt them at all and rather rapidly makes the dog equate you with their dam. Notice I said, "Gently?" Shaking the heck out of a dog is NOT okay. (Shaken baby syndrome?) But from my experience, it's the fastest (and easiest on dog) way to make that puppy think you're in charge. With the strong-willed dog breeds we've had, they HAVE to think I'm in charge. I seriously doubt the shake-catch would work with a grown dog. Never got an already-adult dog.

Review: ". . .I just kept moving, giving her the verbal commands and short, abrupt corrections on the command-collar."

You give short, abrupt corrections on a choke chain, NOT a prong collar! People not understanding how these collars work and should be used is why they're never recommended by GOOD trainers any longer. Training shouldn't be done by pain. Dogs don't trust you that way, and a respectful bond isn't made through pain and fear.

Nope. I'd never recommend this training "system." These are the kind of "trainers" that hurt a person's relationship with a dog.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: "The Perfect Dog"
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 02:16:53 PM »
I haven't seen the informercial.  I read the info from the Amazon link.  Sounds a bit creepy...   
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: