Author Topic: Arrows & ACV  (Read 34923 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Arrows & ACV
« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2014, 08:43:44 PM »
MC is SERIOUSLY talented

Aw, pshaw!  :-[  It's just that Mazy cat and I have a special relationship regarding her litter box habits that dates back years.  Her trouble first started when she was not quite 2 years old. Paranoid momma that I am, I began watching her pee habits.  Mazy cat, being a very smart cat who loves routines, figured out very quickly that it was important to me to watch her pee.  She began telling me when she had to go, and it was only one step further for me to be sticking a tube (to collect a sample) or strip under her when she pees.  HeadButt

Seriously, I'm not sure how long the urine would be affected by the ACV before it would return to his normal pH.  I'll have to look at MC's thread again, as I remember when she tested right after a meal, the urine was more acidic,

Not right after.  About 4 hours after.

Doesn't Dr. Pierson mention something about PH not being as "serious" as some may think... or only under certain circumstances?  She mentions SOMETHING.  I'll go look...

She does.  I'm looking for it right now

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2014, 08:59:17 PM »
There is so much, so much in that article worth sharing.  I have to go to bed now, but I will work on adding some excepts to this thread.

She does remind us that urine tends to be more alkaline after a large meal, so feeding smaller more frequent meals is better. And that, of course, higyh meat, low carb diet is the way to keep the pH at the proper acidity.

But her main focus is on vets who disregard all sense when it comes to testing and prescribing veterinary diets and antibiotics instead of trying more appropriate diet changes first.

No wonder that vet I quoted elsewhere took such exception to her pages when I asked him to read them.  He pushes those veterinary diets like crazy.  HE thinks it's okay to feed a corn based high carb diet as long as the proper vitamins and minerals are added artificially.  I cannot wrap my head around how ANY vet can believe such bosh.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2014, 01:47:43 PM »
Arrows' upcoming birthday reminded me, has it been 2 weeks on the ACV yet?  How's he doing?  fingerscrossed

Wellllllll..... there has been a few (very few) small barf "piles," but only one can be pinned down to belonging to Arrows.  The only way I am going to know anything FOR SURE... is to lock each cat up separately, feed one food for x amount of weeks, etc. 
So many variables and so many cats...  I don't know what to do.  So I do nothing.    :-[

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 01:49:26 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2014, 01:53:03 PM »
Just to clarify.  A cat barfing is a HUGE concern to me.  However, having 6 cats... two "known" barfers... seeing barf once every 10 days-ish... while other changes are also going on...and circumstances not being the same every day....  and there is another person that helps feed and give meds and Braggs...

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 01:56:15 PM by Lola »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2014, 03:59:56 PM »
Just to clarify.  A cat barfing is a HUGE concern to me.  However, having 6 cats... two "known" barfers... seeing barf once every 10 days-ish... while other changes are also going on...and circumstances not being the same every day....  and there is another person that helps feed and give meds and Braggs...

Cat barfing is a big concern for me, too.  And I totally understand.  I don't know how you keep track with that many furkids around! 
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2014, 06:57:05 PM »
I just didn't want it to sound like I was blowing the situation off.  Just taking a break from trying to figure things out...with all the variables.  pullingouthair

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2014, 07:08:57 PM »
How are you doing the vinegar Lola?  I eman, are you keeping a small amount in a separate container for ease of dosing?  I first tried a stainless steel water bottle (small one) but the vinegar seemed to take on a funny smell after awhile. Right now I've got some in one of the covered pyrex bowls I use for cat food but that's not really working out either.  I need a small glass jar with a tight fitting (screw on) lid. Somehting that I can shake the stuff up before using and get the little drop spoonlet into easily.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2014, 07:13:41 PM »
  I need a small glass jar with a tight fitting (screw on) lid. Somehting that I can shake the stuff up before using and get the little drop spoonlet into easily.

Vinegar should never be kept in metal of any sort. Kind of like you have to have a crock of some sort to make sour kraut in--metal will start breaking down and rusting. Have you tried a baby-food jar? You could always buy some kind of baby food meat and give it to the babies.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #113 on: August 12, 2014, 07:27:09 PM »
Thanks Dee I didn't know that about vinegar and stainless steel.  I keep my own vinegar concontion in a stainless steel bottle but it only lasts 4 or 5 days at a time, and it's a better quality bottle than the one I am no longer using for the cat portions.

I thought of baby food jars, but the lids don't fit tight after they've been opened.  I need the jar to be leak proof so I can shake it up each time before i use it.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #114 on: August 12, 2014, 07:32:24 PM »
How about a larger jar like Green Giant mushrooms come in? Then you could just "tornado" it instead of shaking up and down to mix it?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2014, 07:38:53 PM »
I went back and checked, and it says never any metal of any sort:

Because vinegar is so acidic, using glass utensils is best. Never use aluminum or copper utensils when working with vinegar, and never store vinegar in any type of metal container. Vinegar can dissolve metal, and you might consume some of the metal with the vinegar.

http://www.moaa.org/main_secondary.aspx?id=9642

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2014, 07:40:57 PM »
How are you doing the vinegar Lola?  I eman, are you keeping a small amount in a separate container for ease of dosing?  I first tried a stainless steel water bottle (small one) but the vinegar seemed to take on a funny smell after awhile. Right now I've got some in one of the covered pyrex bowls I use for cat food but that's not really working out either.  I need a small glass jar with a tight fitting (screw on) lid. Somehting that I can shake the stuff up before using and get the little drop spoonlet into easily.

I just tip the bottle.  With less than a teaspoon a day (I lowered the amount), the bottle is still pretty full. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2014, 07:47:01 PM »
How about a larger jar like Green Giant mushrooms come in? Then you could just "tornado" it instead of shaking up and down to mix it?

Mushrooms! Gag!  LOL! Actually, going by your idea, I suppose I could use a peanut butter jar.  The lid is still metal, but keeping the amount small and swirling instead of shaking should work....

I went back and checked, and it says never any metal of any sort:

http://www.moaa.org/main_secondary.aspx?id=9642

Okay.  thanks.

The measuring spoon is metal, but the vinegar is only in it for a second. Maybe I better find a glass dropper.  I refuse to use plastic.

I just tip the bottle.  With less than a teaspoon a day (I lowered the amount), the bottle is still pretty full. 

Out of a quart size bottle?  I can not tip that tiny of an amount out of a quart size bottle.  Even out of a smaller bottle, I don't think I could. I need to dip the spoon in.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2014, 08:10:03 PM »

The measuring spoon is metal, but the vinegar is only in it for a second. Maybe I better find a glass dropper.  I refuse to use plastic.

Well if I still had access to glass tubing and a Bunsen burner, I'd make you a perfect one and send it to you. But I don't so I can't. Maybe you could find some brand of baby vitamins that still uses glass droppers?

Or maybe you could find some of these in an aromatherapy store (since essential oils need glass too)?  http://www.premiumvials.com/glass-bottles/clear-boston-round/4-oz-boston-round/4-oz-clear-boston-round-glass-bottle-w-dropper.html

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2014, 08:11:54 PM »
I can not tip that tiny of an amount out of a quart size bottle.  Even out of a smaller bottle, I don't think I could. I need to dip the spoon in.

I use a glass dropper.  I put the tip in.. suck up the vinegar...done.