Author Topic: Queen Eva's Gotcha Day  (Read 24942 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Happy 5th Gotcha Day Queen Eva!
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2015, 08:40:12 AM »
Mazy and Queen Eva

Jennie and Queen Eva

One Big Happy Family!

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 02:55:46 PM by Lola, Reason: subject - number change »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 08:40:59 AM »
It's was a bumpy road health-wise, even after we got rid of the fleas and roundworms,  with a back injury, ingesting of non-ingestibles, a week in the hospital and then two weeks recovery in the crate after a spay complication, and her digestive/intestinal problems.

I thank Ootay :angel: daily for sending her to us, she is so special and I just love her so much.

Queen Eva had her own ways of doing things and growing into things.

For her first week she lived in her Castle by day (after she was de-flead),

and I put her in the bathroom at night. It was a very busy week for me and I couldn't keep her shut up in that hot bathroom all day long. So she was in her Castle (large dog crate) set up in my bedroom. But at night, I wanted her to have more room to play and jump and I wanted to sleep, so she went into the bathroom.

By the fifth night though I was letting her loose in my bedroom

Her second week I was home on vacation and the integration began.

All day long she stayed out and about with me and the other cats.  On a nice day, when I wanted to take the cats out, we would wait until she fell asleep in the bedroom, then I would close the bedroom screen door, and take the big cats out.

At night, still concerned for her safety, I continued to put her to bed in the bathroom.  And she went, willingly.  In fact she would actually put herself to bed.  I would go into the bathroom to brush my teeth, and she would follow me in and curl up in her bed.

On the seventh night after her integration (and after being here two full weeks) she decided she no longer needed to be shut in the bathroom at night.  You know how I knew?  I knew because that was the night she didn't follow me in, to be put to bed.  Instead I found her here:

From then on she slept with me and the rest of the cats.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 02:56:00 PM by Lola, Reason: subject - number change »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2015, 08:41:15 AM »
Queen Eva has had other milestones over those first two years.  That first fall, after her shots I did start taking her out with the rest of the cats.  She took to the harness with no trouble, but I still wasn't ready to have her running loose in the yard.  So, since she wasn't using it in the house any more, I brought her Castle down to the yard, and every time I took the cats out, I set up her Castle, and she played in that, while we were all out side.  And she was perfectly happy with that.

I took her in and out via a carrier.  I put her harness on, she got in the carrier and I carried her out, opened the carrier door facing the Castle so she went from the carrier to the Castle..  When it was time to go in, I put her back in the carrier and carried her in.

The first time I let her out of the Castle was at the end of an outing in late November.  It was cold then, and after a quick run (at headlong speed) around the yard, she came inside willingly with the other cats.

Mazy, it seemed, wanted to see what it felt like to be Queen Eva

During the winter I took them out, because there wasn't any where for her to go, but the shoveled paths.

In the Spring, I let her come out without the Castle. However, in order to prevent any kind of door dashing behavior, I continued to take her out in her carrier.  I put her harness on, she walked into the carrier, then I took the carrier out to the yard, opened it and let her out. I also continued to bring her in, the same way. I wasn't quite ready for her to associate that door with the outside yard.

After a couple of weeks, one day, when it was time to go in, instead of getting in the carrier, she ran inside with the other cats.  So I stopped using the carrier to bring her in, but continued to use it to bring her out.  Then, one day while they were all outside, they were startled, and all ran for the door.  I followed them in and shut the door, and waited for the noise that had scared them to abate, then I opened the door again, and that was the first time she walked through the door to go outside.

The next time we went out, when I got the carrier down, instead of getting in it, she went over to the door and stretched herself up against it.  That was how I knew she no longer needed to be taken out in the carrier, she told me she could be trusted, and she was. I was so proud of her!

One of my favorite memories is of the day she discovered the Big Cat litter boxes.  She was so tiny, and the first few days after her integration I still had a litter box in her Castle, even though she wasn't being shut in the Castle any more, she was still using the litter box in it.

Then, on the third day I watched her discover the stairs. She plopped down them one at a time as I watched carefully from the top.  Once she got down them she began to explore.  Then she discovered the litter boxes!  Such EXCITEMENT!  Brrrmph! mrrrpmph! She called to me.  I hurried down the stairs and she ran up to me stretching herself up on my legs brruping a mile a minute. Then she ran back over to the litter boxes, turning to look back to make sure I was watching.  More brrups and mrrmphs as she jumped up onto the platform and walked through all of the litter boxes.  I could tell just what she was saying. "Look Mom!  Hey mom, lookit, LOOKIT Mom, there's a BATHROOM down here, LOOK, a BATHROOM!"  Goodness was she excited.  And from that moment on she never used her baby potty upstairs again, so I put it away.

First time on my lap

First Sunbeam.  She was nine weeks old, it was her fourth day after integration, 11th day forever home

Queen Eva is a dedicated Burrower.  She has actual daily Burrow routines, in addition to her many random Burrowing antics.

A Burrower is Born:
Queen Eva's first documented Burrow, August 24 2010

I thank Ootay :angel: daily for sending her to us, she is so special and I just love her so much.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 02:56:15 PM by Lola, Reason: subject - number change »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 08:51:09 AM »
This of course is how she used to get into her hammock in her Castle.  Wish I hadn't turned the camera sideways, I never was able to figure out how to rotate the view.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 02:56:32 PM by Lola, Reason: subject - number change »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 09:00:49 AM »
Here's another favorite Gotcha Week video

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 02:56:47 PM by Lola, Reason: subject - number change »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 09:22:20 AM »
I still think panfurs are the most beautiful of all. She just helps prove that.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 02:57:02 PM by Lola, Reason: subject - number change »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 02:22:01 PM »
GREAT story.  Great pictures.  Great video.  LOVED it all!!!!  Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 02:57:16 PM by Lola, Reason: subject - number change »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2015, 02:24:07 PM »
My eye keeps going back to this picture... and the story behind it.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 02:57:34 PM by Lola, Reason: subject - number change »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 07:58:50 PM »
Such a beautiful girl!  Thanks for sharing her story and the pics/videos!  CatPurr
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 02:57:48 PM by Lola, Reason: subject - number change »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Happy FIFTH Gotcha Day Queen Eva!
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 08:31:23 PM »
BTW Mazy looks GIGANTIC in Queen Eva's "cage" outside. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Happy 6th Gotcha Day Queen Eva!
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2016, 05:38:50 AM »
Happy Gotcha Day my precious Baby Girl!  Actually it's her sixth now but this thread already has the story and pictures and videos. Last year's thread does too, but this one has more of them.

She is so precious and beloved and brings joy to this house every day.  Her capacity for inventing new Games is never used up. She's such a loving cat, loves to lean into me or brush against me with her tail as she's walking by.  Communicative and responsive.

Now, if only she would let me trim her nails without screaming down the house.  funny2

Later I might scroll through youtube and add some more videos to this thread so watch this space!

Lola maybe you can change the title to say "6th"?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 03:21:10 PM by Lola, Reason: changed subject line »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2016, 04:02:40 PM »
I can combine the two threads, if you want. 

She is a beauty.  Glad you two found each other.  Enjoy your special day today.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2016, 04:07:44 PM »
I can combine the two threads, if you want. 

She is a beauty.  Glad you two found each other.  Enjoy your special day today.

Thanks but they are exactly the same anyway, except this one has a few more videos than last year's thread.  I have the original story and photo-bucket pictures saved.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2016, 07:38:02 PM »
Happy Gotcha Day!   love1 love1 love1 love1 love1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2016, 10:13:14 PM »
Yeah. I still love black fur most of all.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: