Author Topic: Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Feline Urinary SO Morsels in Gravy Canned Cat Food  (Read 7054 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
True, but MC's cat does  not drink alot of water and her cat is fine on this food so it has to do with the PH?

My apologies.  I thought you were asking WHY a cat would drink more water when eating this food.  I comprehend your post now.  :)
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Ingredients:
Water, chicken by-products, pork by-products, chicken, corn flour, chicken skin, corn starch, fish oil, Trace Minerals [calcium sulfate, potassium chloride, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium iodate], natural flavors, powdered cellulose,
One or more of the ingredients in this must make the Ph of the bladder the proper PH, so which one is it???
If MC's cat does not drink alot of water, then it must be something, other than salt to make the cat drink more?? :-\

Here's one (it's in the other brand as well)--  I learned this from my dog but imagine the same applies to felines:

<<<. The longer urine is retained in the bladder, the more likely it is to become alkaline and to develop infection. >>>

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/dog-health/bladder-stones.aspx

<<<To prevent urinary stagnation, the dog owners should salt the dog's food, as this leads to increased drinking and increased urination, both of which help to keep the bladder flushed out. >>>

<<<For the uninitiated, potassium chloride is very similar to table salt.
So, adding a supplemental source of potassium, albeit in small quantities, is often necessary. There are a number of mineral salt options available, but the most common form used in petfood is potassium chloride. http://www.petfoodindustry.com/Sub_Level_-_News/6549.html >>>

They add things to make the animal drink more. When urine sits in the animal, that's where the ph alkaline... problems start.

Drink more, flush out/pee more.  

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Ingredients:
Water, chicken by-products, pork by-products, chicken, corn flour, chicken skin, corn starch, fish oil, Trace Minerals [calcium sulfate, potassium chloride, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium iodate], natural flavors, powdered cellulose, Vitamins [choline chloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), biotin, riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement], guar gum, sodium tripolyphosphate, taurine, caramel color, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), salt, tomato lycopene extract

One or more of the ingredients in this must make the Ph of the bladder the proper PH, so which one is it???
If MC's cat does not drink alot of water, then it must be something, other than salt to make the cat drink more?? :-\

She's never been a good drinker.  Most days she does pee at least three times a day, which is good, to keep the bladder flushed out.

That's the c/d canned food?  My girl won't eat it.  She eats the c/d kibble.  She loves other canned foods, just not the c/d of course.  I haven't tried any of the other prescription brands, though I have thought about trying the Purina ST/OX:

Meat by-products, liver, chicken, water sufficient for processing, poultry by-products, brewers rice, calcium gluconate, oat fiber, guar gum, sodium bisulfate, potassium chloride, caramel color, carrageenan, salt, taurine, Vitamin E supplement, calcium phosphate, zinc sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, copper sulfate, niacin, Vitamin B-12 supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium pantothenate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Vitamin D-3 supplement, folic acid, potassium iodide, biotin.

But now I've been reading about that sodium bisulfate and how bad it is.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
MC, you're doing the best you can.  That's all your fur-kid can ask.   grouphug grouphug

Thank you, I appreciate the encouragement and support!

MC,  you are probably in the same boat I am, no Holistic veterinarians nearby to consult with.
They would know of a species-appropriate diet to fix everything.

I can't have pets anymore.  Even Buddy-Boo is my adopted son, he lives with my sister.  My sister wanted me to take his brother home (because he likes me) but understands why I can't.  She offered, but didn't push it knowing why.
She has a choice of veterinarians where she lives; one does not even pretend to know about foods, and the other is Holistic. That's why she can have multiple cats & dogs and keep taking in strays, and we can't.

No pets?  Do you really not have any pets? That makes me so sad for you! No holistic vet here or any where even remotely near.  I love my vet, she is an excellent diagnostician, great surgeon, terrific communicator, and has an open mind, but sadly I suspect that most of what she knows about cat food is generally what she has learned from me. It took me a long time to find her, she's the best of the local crop. :).

MC,
I am NEVER "ripping" you personally.  I just have "issues" with prescription foods.  The ingredients vs the price...just blows my mind. 

I know Lola dear, but thank you for saying so all the same.  xx

<we need a multiquote button!>

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
She's never been a good drinker.
Meat by-products, liver, chicken, water sufficient for processing, poultry by-products, brewers rice, calcium gluconate, oat fiber, guar gum, sodium bisulfate, potassium chloride, caramel color, carrageenan, salt, taurine, Vitamin E supplement, calcium phosphate, zinc sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, copper sulfate, niacin, Vitamin B-12 supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium pantothenate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Vitamin D-3 supplement, folic acid, potassium iodide, biotin.
But now I've been reading about that sodium bisulfate and how bad it is.

I stole this from another thread but the reason may be obvious as to why hyperthyroidism is soooo common now:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/fish-oil-and-hyperthyroidism/  ,,,Most of the iodine consumed by our pet cats comes from commercial cat foods, primarily due to the mineral pre-mixes used in these foods. Minerals, including iodine, are often included in great excess. Iodine is difficult and expensive to test for, so it’s cheaper and easier for pet food makers and suppliers to add way more than necessary to make sure the food is not deficient....

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth

<we need a multiquote button!>

You can hit quote for the first you want to reply to, & just copy it, but back out without posting and go to the second post you want to respond to and hit quote. Then just paste the first one you copied into the second one's response box.

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth

No pets?  Do you really not have any pets? That makes me so sad for you! No holistic vet here or any where even remotely near.  I love my vet, she is an excellent diagnostician...

I read this over, and perhaps I've said more than I needed to. I don't PM unsolicited ;D often and I hope I wasn't out of bounds offering someone's contact info. If so apologies.  :-*

It is my hope that the info provided might help somebody reading, ya never know.   :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 08:52:08 PM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
You can hit quote for the first you want to reply to, & just copy it, but back out without posting and go to the second post you want to respond to and hit quote. Then just paste the first one you copied into the second one's response box.

It is more work than I want to do, so I just ...what's it called when a person has several posts in a row?  I know it isn't a good thing...on most forums.  lol

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
I read this over, and perhaps I've said more than I needed to. I don't PM unsolicited ;D often and I hope I wasn't out of bounds offering someone's contact info. If so apologies.  :-*

It is my hope that the info provided might help somebody reading, ya never know.   :)

What?  NO, no, I am grateful for the links and information. I just sometimes forget to reply to PMs.  Rude of me, I am sorry. They come to my e mail box and I read them there, and intend to reply next time I come to the forum, but then I often forget. Doh1

In all compassionate sincerity I don't understand not having pets because you can't find a holistic vet though. We all can only do the best we can do for our dearest ones.  Why deprive yourself of the love and joy, and deprive some deserving animal(s) of the wonderful home you would give them, because you don't have a vet you approve of near by?  Your home would surely be the best, by far over living on the street or mouldering in a cage at a shelter, regardless of your veterinarian situation.

Just my unsolicited opinion. :)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth

I basically did that. reply with quote, cut, paste in my email drafts, three times, then cut them all and paste them back over here.  Like Lola said it's a lot of work, but so is replying to one post after another, LOL, because sometimes by the time I get to the enxt post I've forgotten what I want to say, or I miss a post.  There's no pleasing ME, hahaha!

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
What?  NO, no, I am grateful for the links and information. I just sometimes forget to reply to PMs.  Rude of me, I am sorry. They come to my e mail box and I read them there, and intend to reply next time I come to the forum, but then I often forget.

Oh no no no MC -- I had just sent that PM.  That wasn't it. I do that too with the email - see PMs long after they'd been sent.  (Emails too LOL.)

It's just that I know you love your vet  (So that is how I took your post.)

(LOL I dropped my mouse and it hit the power strip's on/off button and I'm wondering why all the power went off  Bumpurr1 so this is the longest post to post on record .)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 09:29:01 AM by CarnivorousCritter »

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
In all compassionate sincerity I don't understand not having pets because you can't find a holistic vet though. We all can only do the best we can do for our dearest ones.  Why deprive yourself of the love and joy, and deprive some deserving animal(s) of the wonderful home you would give them, because you don't have a vet you approve of near by?  Your home would surely be the best, by far over living on the street or mouldering in a cage at a shelter, regardless of your veterinarian situation.

Just my unsolicited opinion. :)

Not to be snarly, but I'm not going to murder any more animals because honest vets don't grow on trees.

If the PFI is somebody's boss, I want NO part of it.  And I can watch those SPCA commercials for a guilt trip but beings I'm smoldering on a 5 year old one, I won't do that either.

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
If the PFI is somebody's boss, I want NO part of it.  

Made a statement and didn't back it up.  I didn't deal with these but it's just an example:

Mars in United States

Mars North America, the United States food, snack and petcare operations of Mars, Incorporated, is one of the world’s leading food manufacturers. With more than $7 billion in annual sales, the combined food, snack and pet care segments are a symbol of excellence for quality brands. Headquartered in Mount Olive, NJ, Mars North America employs more than

http://www.mars.com/global/who-we-are/where-we-operate/united-states.aspx

Mars Petcare US
Mars Petcare U.S. is one of the fastest growing pet food manufacturers in the United States. It manufactures quality store brand petcare products and branded products for dogs and cats marketed under the PEDIGREE®, CESAR®, and THE GOODLIFE RECIPE®, WHOLEMEALS® food for dogs, and WHISKAS®, SHEBA®, TEMPTATIONS®, and THE GOODLIFE RECIPE® food for cats. With the acquisition in 2006 of Doane Pet Care, a leading manufacturer of dry pet food, Mars Petcare US ...

Banfield, the Pet Hospital®
Founded in Portland, Oregon, in 1955, Banfield has become the largest privately owned veterinary practice in the world, with more than 680 locations across the U.S., in the U.K. and in Mexico. All of the veterinarians and team members a...

(yes it is the candy company.)\
Mmmmm GoodLife 
NOT RECOGNIZED AS AN ESSENTIAL NUTRIENT BY THE AAFCO DOG FOOD NUTRIENT PROFILES
INGREDIENTS:

GROUND CORN, CHICKEN-BY-PRODUCT MEAL, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, ANIMAL FAT, CHICKEN, WHOLE GRAIN BROWN RICE, NATURAL POULTRY FLAVOR, DRIED PEAS, DRIED BEET PULP, WHEAT FLOUR, RICE, BREWERS DRIED YEAST, SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, WHEAT GLUTEN, CHOLINE CHLORIDE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, CALCIUM CARBONATE, DRIED SPINACH, DRIED TOMATOES, DRIED CARROTS, SKIM MILK POWDER, DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, TAURINE, dl-METHIONINE, MINERALS (ZINC SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE), IRON OXIDE, VITAMINS (dl-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN E], FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN A ACETATE, L-ASCORBYL-2-POLYPHOSPHATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN C], VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, NIACIN, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT [VITAMIN B2], d-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, BIOTIN, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE [VITAMIN B6] ), VEGETABLE OIL (SOURCE OF LINOLEIC ACID), CHLOROPHYLL, NATURALLY PRESERVED WITH MIXED TOCOPHEROLS, MARIGOLD MEAL.

The Goodlife Recipe® Food For Cats With Real Chicken, Brown Rice & Garden Greens
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 10:49:10 AM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Grrrrreat info, CC!

I wish I could REMEMBER the stuff that you do.  Who and what company is involved where...is mind boggling.