Author Topic: Quality and flavor consistency in "high end" cat foods  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Quality and flavor consistency in "high end" cat foods
« on: August 09, 2011, 10:09:47 AM »
Consistency from batch to batch seems to be a problem even in the high end foods,

Cats will eat a food with great enthusiasm, and then you open a new case with a new batch number and they won't touch it.  When I pay a fortune for food, I expect consistency to be part of the bargain, they should not be changing suppliers of ingredients looking for the lowest bidder, so the food is always different.   If I wanted that I'd buy grocery store food.

I've seen it in Soulistic, Merrick Before Grain, Wellness, Blue....to name a few.

Really really annoys me.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Re: Quality and flavor consistency in "high end" cat foods
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 11:33:54 AM »
This unfortunately is a problem for all manufactured pet foods.  They even use all all the old labels after recalls , and or product change. bangshead.  I remember after the 2007 recalls going into Wally world and finding foods that had labels put over the upc's just so they would scan. Grrrr!!!
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 11:40:56 AM »
I remember that too.  Several times I went into Walmart and took the new labels off the special kitty cans so the recalled labels would be the ones that scanned.  I never hung around to see what happened when people tried to purchase the food with the recalled numbers being scanned, but I hope I caused them some trouble, anyway. funny2

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 08:56:49 PM »
I remember that too.  Several times I went into Walmart (sucks) and took the new labels off the special kitty cans so the recalled labels would be the ones that scanned.  I never hung around to see what happened when people tried to purchase the food with the recalled numbers being scanned, but I hope I caused them some trouble, anyway. funny2
Good one MC  thumbsup1 I tried too, but there were too many employees around and my hubby tsk tsk me, lol!!
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 01:14:22 PM »
I am the LAST person to defend Wal-Mart, but...
When a particular item is recalled by date, batch number, etc., the UPC number is often "blocked."  This prevents the possibility of any recalled items being sold.  However...the item may also have batches (or dates) that were not a part of the recall.  Recalled and non-recalled product would have the same UPC number. 
I would GUESS (and hope) that Wal-Mart uses the stickers so the non-recalled product would have a different UPC number... and allow the non-recalled products to be sold.  This may also be their way of making sure each item is verified, as to whether or not it was a part of the recall.  ?? 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: