Author Topic: Can bone broth improve motility?  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Can bone broth improve motility?
« on: July 16, 2016, 08:35:40 AM »
I was hoping Pookie would know.  :D

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Can bone broth improve motility?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 10:29:42 AM »
 funny2

I don't know.  On the positive side, it's got lots of good vitamins and minerals in a very absorbable form, and in the right ratio to each other.  Getting those things might be able to help the body heal/regenerate the cilia in the intestines.  But I don't think I've read anything that specifically mentioned bone broth improving motility.  I will say, though, I don't think there's any harm in giving it.  If nothing else, it's a really good supplement.

Check this out  :Dhttp://www.kittyshark.net/#!unbalanced-diet/dbcza

“Deficiencies of minerals can be acquired, similar to vitamin deficiencies. Generally there are two ways this can happen, lack of intake in the diet, or lack of absorption in the intestines. Broth can be an excellent remedy for both of these causes of mineral deficiency because it provides easily absorbed extracted minerals, plus promotes healing of the intestinal tract.”

Edit:  I just did a super-quick search.  This is for people, but may also apply to pets:

http://www.modernherbalmedicine.com/articles/small-intestinal-bacterial-overgrowth-(sibo).html?page=2

Step Seven: Repair gut integrity
Since SIBO always causes leaky gut, it is important to rebuild the integrity of the intestinal membranes. One of the best ways to do this is by using bone broth. Bone broth is high in glutamine and glycine, both of which are essential in healing the gut. They are emphasized in both the SCD and GAPS diet. Drink 1-4 cups of bone broth daily. You can also use it to make soups. Recipes for bone broth can be found online or in Nourishing Traditions.

http://www.askdrmaxwell.com/2014/06/treat-gastroparesis-naturally/

Bone Broth – Bone broth is very nutritious and healing for your gut, as it contains calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, glucosamine, chondroitin, and glycine to ease digestion and soothe inflammation.

I didn't read the above articles, I just did a keyword search on them.  But basically what it comes down to is, it's worth a try.  If nothing else, it's still a good supplement.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 11:08:06 AM »
Thank you Pookie!

If bone broth is the answer for Mazy cat, it explains why she (and I) had to go through that whole mouth thing. I turned to bone broth in desperation.  Today is one week she's been having it daily.  she is just going to 1/3 raw and 2/3 canned (going back to raw slowly)

I was going to drop the bone broth to only two or three times a week, but I may have to suck up the inconvenience and give it to her daily, forever, if this is what it takes.  I just hope she'll like the chicken version as well as she likes the Cornish hen.  I really really can't sacrifice any more of her hens to it.

On the other hand a Coleman (certified organic, non-GMO project verified) chicken will make a lot more broth so i won't have to make it as often.

Where to put it will be an issue. Is always the issue.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 04:03:48 PM »
One thing I AM wondering. What's the difference in organic, grass-fed beef gelatin and bone broth? They both gel.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 06:09:53 PM »
One thing I AM wondering. What's the difference in organic, grass-fed beef gelatin and bone broth? They both gel.

I don't know what beef gelatin is. :)

Bone broth gels from the collagen in the bones, just like my soup stock does, for the same reason. The difference is, I never have cooked my soup stock for 24 hours to cook the bones down to total disintegration.  I cook it 8 hours, which does bring on a really lovely aspic. :)

Bone broth can be made from any bones.  Mazy cat can't eat beef, and needs certified organic non GMO project verified, that's why I sacrificed one of her Cornish hens. Hope I can fine a Coleman roaster next time I need to make it for her, and I hope to goodness she'll love it as much as she loves the Cornish hen broth.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 06:19:48 PM »
Thank you Pookie!

If bone broth is the answer for Mazy cat, it explains why she (and I) had to go through that whole mouth thing. I turned to bone broth in desperation.  Today is one week she's been having it daily.  she is just going to 1/3 raw and 2/3 canned (going back to raw slowly)

You're welcome.  I don't know that it's a "cure" though, and I don't want you to get your hopes up that it is.  It may help, but I'm going to gently nag you here, I still think it would be a huge benefit for Mazy to get the bloodwork done to see if Dr. Plechner's protocol would help her.  Give yourself and Mazy some time to recover from the last few weeks, but I really hope you'll keep it in mind.   fingerscrossed  HeadButt

When making bone broth, or should I say after when it cools, you'll have the gelatin congealing on the top (I think).  The broth is the liquid under it.  Again, I think.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 06:23:13 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 08:38:30 PM »
You're welcome.  I don't know that it's a "cure" though, and I don't want you to get your hopes up that it is.  It may help, but I'm going to gently nag you here, I still think it would be a huge benefit for Mazy to get the bloodwork done to see if Dr. Plechner's protocol would help her.  Give yourself and Mazy some time to recover from the last few weeks, but I really hope you'll keep it in mind.   fingerscrossed  HeadButt

When making bone broth, or should I say after when it cools, you'll have the gelatin congealing on the top (I think).  The broth is the liquid under it.  Again, I think.

Yes I still want to do the blood tests.  But I am not putting her through any more for the moment.

Bone broth is gelled (jelled?) all the way through, as is my soup stock. :)

It's the fat that rises to the top.  I remove the fat from when I make my soup own stock, but kept it in the bone broth.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 09:25:44 PM »
I don't know what beef gelatin is. :)

http://www.zintusa.com/grass-fed-unflavored-beef-gelatin-non-gmo-certified-kosher-1lb/

There's a product description down below the ADD TO CART:

Zint Gelatin Powder is used as a thickening agent, to form liquids into solids.

Highest quality manufacturing, state of the art techniques, to ensure and preserve the rich pure proteins.

The wide variety of amino acids contained and preserved in Zint Gelatin is well known to benefit bones, joints, nails, and overall health.

Pure protein gelatin driven from connective tissue and/or bones of animals.

Free of Preservatives, Gluten, and non GMO, animals were Pasture-Raised on strictly organic diet.

Beef Gelatin is a translucent, colorless and flavorless protein. Zint™ gelatin is driven from 100% pure animal tissue and bones, purified and extracted with state of the art technology to preserve the amount of the amino acids naturally contained in animal proteins - to give you high quality, full rich collagen. Zint™ Gelatin is also used to support bone, joints, nails and overall health. Zint™ Gelatin is colorless and flavorless which makes it a great thickening agent to form your jams jells, deserts, salads even ice cream and frozen yogurt!

We at Zint™ are determined to ensure the selection of the best, high quality Proteins, to bring you the best Gelatin possible. That's why our strictly controlled selection process starts with healthy, Pasture-Raised animals, fed on nature, controlled by chemical and physical control.

With its state of the art equipment and brilliant technics, Zint™ is preserving and purifying the proteins during manufacturing, so you get the most, best and richest proteins possible. Zint™ manufacturing complies with many globally accepted regulations and strict traceability of its products.

Each and every step along the way is being lab tested and controlled to meet the high quality standards our customers are expecting - resulting in the best pure Gelatin on the market that satisfies millions of consumers around the world and makes Zint™ Gelatin a global household product, helping the cooking, baking and health of our customers.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: