Author Topic: Pooping Outside The Box  (Read 13426 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Pooping Outside The Box
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2015, 08:23:07 PM »
Well that sucks. I hope it didn't list any kind of office visit on there if you didn't see a vet.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2015, 12:51:57 PM »
Vet left message.
Fecal, urine, and CBC all fine.
Blood work had "severe erroneous" results.  He believes the actual testing of the blood was screwed up, or the blood was in a hot vehicle to long. 
I'm thinking he is probably assuming... wrongly.  The norm is to assume litter box issues.  Cleanliness, placement, etc. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2015, 01:51:19 PM »
Me again.  ;)
I have been trying to think if I have changed ANYTHING to do with the litter boxes recently.

It just hit me.  It may be a stretch but... About a month ago, I made one bedroom litter box free.  It wasn't used more than any other box.  Actually less.  Moving it to another room would cut the work load of having to go to every room to scoop and vacuum.

Lucy isn't peeing outside the box.  Assuming she poops more often than I am aware... she isn't pooping outside the box every time either.  Is it possible the box I moved was her favorite litter box location?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 01:59:10 PM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2015, 02:33:32 PM »
Blood work had "severe erroneous" results.  He believes the actual testing of the blood was screwed up, or the blood was in a hot vehicle to long. 
I'm thinking he is probably assuming... wrongly.  The norm is to assume litter box issues.  Cleanliness, placement, etc. 

There's this thing that can happen with bloodwork called hemolysis (which would give a higher K result) or lipemia (which would give a lower Na result).

Most blood testing equipment uses plasma, but some uses serum b/c when serum is done, a visual indication is possible to tell if hemolysis or lipemia can occur.

I'm not sure how it affects other tests, but I know that it has to be watched with Vlad, b/c we're especially concerned with the potassium and sodium results.

More about it if you want to know:  http://files.dvm360.com/alfresco_images/DVM360/2013/11/19/f9ce7786-c14a-40f0-b86b-535c6cbc9e20/article-38063.pdf
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2015, 10:41:41 AM »
To refresh and update...Vet left message on Friday.  He asked that I make an appointment for Monday or Tuesday. 
I called and made an appointment... got Tuesday at 3 pm.  No vet there on Monday.

Monday vet tech calls.  (Apparently, they don't communicate or write notes in a pet's file.)  She says there is a problem with Lucy's blood test results.  The results are bad.  Lucy would be dead if the results were accurate.  (Nice wording.) The blood was tested twice.  Same results.  She then went on to explain that she believes the blood wasn't handled correctly.  She told me to make an appointment to have Lucy re-tested.  I clued her in that the vet had already called and that I had an appointment WITH the vet on Tuesday.

Tuesday Lucy and I arrive at the vet's office.  Again...just saw the vet tech.  So much for asking and making an appointment WITH a vet.

I should find out the results today.

You may be wondering why I don't make a stink.  Well...
One...I am afraid if I pizz them off in any way, my pets will suffer. 
Two... Miscommunication and such seems to be the norm these days.
Three... This is the only practice where feeding raw isn't an issue.  That alone makes them suck a bit less then other places.  As sad as that is.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2015, 10:44:09 AM »
PS
JUST to be clear...I have nothing against Vet techs.  I just had some questions for the vet. 

DeeDee,
They are sticking to the story that her blood wasn't kept at a cool temperature.  They may very well be right.  I have no idea.  One result I was told...blood sugar level was less than 10. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 11:02:20 AM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2015, 11:00:01 AM »
Yeah. I looked it up. Low blood sugar can occur if the blood was mishandled. I'm not sure exactly what "improperly handled" would be in this case though. We'll just hope they don't mess it up this time.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2015, 11:03:43 AM »
Yeah. I looked it up. Low blood sugar can occur if the blood was mishandled. I'm not sure exactly what "improperly handled" would be in this case though. We'll just hope they don't mess it up this time.

It probably wasn't refrigerated or something.

PS
JUST to be clear...I have nothing against Vet techs.  I just had some questions for the vet. 

I'm sure there's a way you can talk to the vet without making a stink about it.  You may have to wait to tackle him between appointments, or ask the office manager to have the vet call you, as you have some questions you specifically want to ask him/her.  And you just keep gently nagging until you talk to the vet.

I hope all goes well with the bloodwork this time around.   fingerscrossed
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2015, 01:52:55 PM »
New tests back.  Everything looks "fantastic." 
I gave them a copy of her test results from last year, but I'll get a copy of the current results for comparison myself. 

I assume these tests mean that she is medically/physically ok.  Sooooo, there is another reason for pooping outside the box.  Hmmmmm
She only poops outside a box sometimes.  She always urinates inside a box. 
My next guess ...  one of the foods/proteins makes her constipated.  Maybe after a constipated poo inside a box... the next one (which looks perfectly normal) is done outside the box.  :-\
The introduction of My Pet Carnivore and pooping outside the box... both started in September.  Although the food fed (brand and protein) isn't consistent with pooping outside a box.  Sometimes there is one day difference...sometimes 3 or more.

I wish it was something simple like... she is teasing/tempting Lacy dog.  ;)  I would accept it and move on.  My floors are all tile... they clean easily!  However...I don't like that something is bothering her. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2015, 04:34:06 PM »
Me again.  ;)
I have been trying to think if I have changed ANYTHING to do with the litter boxes recently.

It just hit me.  It may be a stretch but... About a month ago, I made one bedroom litter box free.  It wasn't used more than any other box.  Actually less.  Moving it to another room would cut the work load of having to go to every room to scoop and vacuum.

Lucy isn't peeing outside the box.  Assuming she poops more often than I am aware... she isn't pooping outside the box every time either.  Is it possible the box I moved was her favorite litter box location?

Somehow I missed this post before.  Have you put the exact same box in the exact same place in that room?  I am willing to bet that was the problem all along.  Cats don't like change and some cats are vary particular about what change they don't like.

New tests back.  Everything looks "fantastic." 
I gave them a copy of her test results from last year, but I'll get a copy of the current results for comparison myself. 

I assume these tests mean that she is medically/physically ok.  Sooooo, there is another reason for pooping outside the box.  Hmmmmm
She only poops outside a box sometimes.  She always urinates inside a box. 
My next guess ...  one of the foods/proteins makes her constipated.  Maybe after a constipated poo inside a box... the next one (which looks perfectly normal) is done outside the box.  :-\
The introduction of My Pet Carnivore and pooping outside the box... both started in September.  Although the food fed (brand and protein) isn't consistent with pooping outside a box.  Sometimes there is one day difference...sometimes 3 or more.

I wish it was something simple like... she is teasing/tempting Lacy dog.  ;)  I would accept it and move on.  My floors are all tile... they clean easily!  However...I don't like that something is bothering her. 

Yes, I get that, too. Put the box back, casually show her it's back, and see what happens.

Glad she's got a clean physical bill of health!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2015, 05:52:27 PM »
SO glad to hear this. Well not that you don't have your poop problem solved, but that she's healthy!

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2015, 10:13:27 PM »
I'm glad her bloodwork came back with good news, even if it doesn't really help solve the pooping issue.  I think MC makes a good suggestion.  It wouldn't hurt to try it.  You'll figure it out.

Here's an idea:  you could try having an animal communicator talk to her to see what's going on.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2015, 01:08:41 AM »
Have you put the exact same box in the exact same place in that room?  I am willing to bet that was the problem all along.  Cats don't like change and some cats are vary particular about what change they don't like.

I did put the one box back.  However, the same exact box doesn't end up in the same location after cleaning. 
I dump, soak, and wash according to the amount of usage.  Once a box reaches a low level of litter, or looks gross... it is removed.  A clean box with new litter replaces it. 
All boxes are numbered.  I keep track of when a box is put on the floor.  :)  I have this fear (remember I'm a bit on the anal side.) that a box may look clean, but hasn't been washed in a timely manner.  Not likely, but... 

Just in case she is having poo issues from changes in the rotation... I started adding 1/8 tsp of Miralax to her lunch meal. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2015, 01:11:26 AM »
you could try having an animal communicator talk to her to see what's going on.

I'll keep that in mind. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2015, 05:05:24 AM »
I did put the one box back.  However, the same exact box doesn't end up in the same location after cleaning. 
I dump, soak, and wash according to the amount of usage.  Once a box reaches a low level of litter, or looks gross... it is removed.  A clean box with new litter replaces it. 
All boxes are numbered.  I keep track of when a box is put on the floor.  :)  I have this fear (remember I'm a bit on the anal side.) that a box may look clean, but hasn't been washed in a timely manner.  Not likely, but... 

Just in case she is having poo issues from changes in the rotation... I started adding 1/8 tsp of Miralax to her lunch meal. 

Was that before or after the last poop outside the box?

I remember your numbering method.  I don't think it's 'anal' I think it's brilliant!

Tags: