Author Topic: Mazy has declined supper  (Read 16886 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Mazy has declined supper
« on: October 12, 2015, 06:32:14 PM »
Not sure what's up with her, trying not to worry.  She's eaten her meals all day with no problems.  She did regurgitate last night, and not just the immediate meal but the meal she'd had three hours earlier came up too, very foul smelling so I know she had a rough tummy last night.

Not an uncommon occurrence for her.

There was some loose stool in the litter box this morning.  Nazy NEVER has loose stool (nor does anyone else) and I didn't know for sure it was hers, but now I am pretty sure because I found a..bit of stickiness on her tail a little while ago when petting her.

She's curled up on her bed, says prrrt and purrs if I go over to her, leans in to petting, but won't budge and says she doesn't want to eat.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Mazy has declined supper
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 07:10:28 PM »
Good grief.  Not sure what she's playing at.  While lying in her bed she was looking very sorry for herself.  After I wrote the above I went over to her again and did some more petting and head bumping.  She seemed still so...flat.  Not wanting to move, which scared me into thinking she was hurt some where.  I lifted her carefully with both hands, putting her on her feet on the bed.  She turned to look at me, moving very slowly.  She was acting so strange she was scarting me to death. 

She then proceeded to jump (still moving slow) off the table and slowly walk toward the kitchen where she sat in the middle of the floor in the pose that says "Feed me".

So I did, just a tiny bit.  She ate it then indicated she had to pee so we went down togther.

After she peed she came back up and said she'd like to have the rest of her meal.  She jumped up to her spot with no trouble, ate normally and now is having an after supper bath.

So I have no idea what all that was about.  Goodness she frightened me! All this after days of playing like a kitten.  Maybe she was just worn out from all the activity.  She did sleep in the sun on the porch all day today. And all day yesterday too.

Whew.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 10:06:42 PM »
They are so good at freaking us out, aren't they?  I hope she's back to her usual active self tomorrow!   fingerscrossed
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 04:49:59 AM »
Yes it was very strange.  This morning she has had her breakfast and already and then after dancing sideways to tell me she wanted to play,  played the Scribble Scrabble game, getting airborne a number of times.  All before 6 a.m.!  Jennie and Queen Eva are still in bed so Mazy cat had no interference with her Game.

She's never done anything quite like that before, last night I mean.  She was so...STILL. Scary.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 09:21:09 PM »
Glad Mazy is doing better.  How STRANGE (and scary) though. 
Maybe a leaf or bug got on the porch and she ate it?  Is too much sun possible? 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 05:00:34 AM »
I have no idea.  It was warmer on Monday than it has been in a few days.  But she's back to normal and has discovered that it is possible to play without interference at 5:30 a.m. because Queen Eva is still in bed.  We've played her Scribble-Scrabble Game the last two mornings!  I hope she keeps it up, it's good exercise for her and fun for me.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 05:43:47 AM »
Mazy had the loose foul stool again last night.  This was after a normal BM yesterday.  The only change in her diet was a new batch of Rad Cat turkey.  Neither Jennie nor Queen Eva are fed the RC turkey.  I've stopped feeding it, and have written to Rad Cat. 

She had canned for breakfast.  She didn't seem to mind.  And I've increased her S. Boulardii.

I'm going to run out of RC now, because I didn't place an order last week, thinking I had enough to get me through two weeks.

She did not ask to play her Scribble-Scrabble Game this morning, but I have been a bit distracted and upset and I bet she is feeling that.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 12:05:27 PM »
She did not ask to play her Scribble-Scrabble Game this morning, but I have been a bit distracted and upset and I bet she is feeling that.

I hope everything's ok.  grouphug

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 03:21:38 PM »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 04:42:13 PM »
grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 06:27:01 PM »
Thanks you guys.  She's fine in herself.  Thundering around the house with Queen Eva tonight. And there's no repeat trips to the littler box with diarrhea or anything like that, it's just that her daily poop is..larger than normal and soft, with a covering of runny mucousy stuff.

Gotta have supper,. more later, or tomorrow.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 03:54:51 PM »
Full blown diarrhea started this morning.  It's pretty much liquid poop and fur. Just called the vet to rush the latest sample in but they close at 5 today, so I am to bring a fresh one first thing in the morning.  We'll start there.

I am not really suspecting the Rad Cat any more...but that WAS the only new thing in her diet. I wonder if more of those By Nature turkey cans were damaged than I thought,.  I've checked each one carefully when I open it, and they do not appear to have broken seals.

But what the heck else could be going on?  Mazy cat never EVER has diarrhea, EVER.  Only once in her entire 11 + years, and that was when I put her on to much krill too soon.

I'm out of my mind with worry about her now.

Her appetite is fine, but how much longer will THAT last, when every time she eats it stimulates her bowel and she has to go down and have more runny poop.

So I've stopped the RC turkey (even though I think that is okay now) she had the By Nature turkey for breakfast, but I won't give her that (the turkey) any more, just the chicken.

and the Rad Cat chicken.  I've stopped egg yolk lecithin and increased probiotics.  Should I stop the slippery elm bark too?  And the vet's best?  On the one hand maybe I should but then I think, those are soothing anti inflammatory products so maybe they aren't hurting and will help her feel not quite as awful.

her activity level is fine too.

I came home to her personal toys scattered around, toys only she plays with.

Bone broth!  (If I could get her to eat it).  My bone broth recipe was on the other computer.  I'll try to remember the source.

Do you think that might help her?  I can make it tomorrow. I know it has to cook a long very long time. But I don't know, making it with a non organic chicken may just make her worse. I don't think there is any such thing as an organic chicken available around here.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 04:39:16 PM »
Hmm . . . Is it a lot of poop, or a little?

Just out of curiosity, are you still putting a dab of coconut oil on her bum to help her with grooming that area?  Given the tiny amount you were using, I doubt that would be the problem, but I thought I'd ask.

The fact that her appetite and activity levels are good is promising.  I wonder if she somehow picked up some sort of bug (or ate a bug?) and her body's just trying to poop it out.  She may have developed an intolerance to turkey (your journal could help you determine that), or it's possible she's also detoxing and this is her body's way of getting rid of things that built up over time.

I think you're doing the right thing by increasing the probiotics.  If you're really concerned about the other supplements, you could try cutting back on the amount of SEB rather than removing it completely.  If I remember correctly, the VB was for fiber, and if so, you might want to increase it to give her more fiber.

I don't know if bone broth will help diarrhea or not, but it is soothing and has lots of good nutrients.  The broth I gave Pookie was literally from cooking a chicken in water with ACV in a slow cooker for 24 hours.  I didn't add anything else.  It might be worth a try, though you may want to be careful about making too many changes at once.  Definitely getting a stool sample to the vet will be helpful.

Crossing paws that things calm down!   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

HangInThere  grouphug  HeadButt
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 04:44:04 PM by Pookie »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 07:05:57 PM »
Thank you so much Pookie.  Since I wrote earlier:

After her diarrhea (immediately after being fed) I waited a while.  Then she had one of those coughing fits, that I think may be reflux. (No SEB with lunch) She scared the daylights out of me I was sure she was choking and unable to breathe, but then she hacked up some liquid (clear).  She continued to drool heavily and wheeze and gulp for some time. 

Her eyes were big and black and scared.

I stayed right by her for a little while first to watch and see if she was breathing, but then gave her some space.  She came out and sat upright very straight for a bit longer, still wheezing and gulping but no longer drooling.

I knew I had to give her something to soothe her throat so I mashed a whole Vets-Best tablet mixed it with .2 oz of canned food and warm water. (Glad to see you agree with me on that!)  At first she didn't want it but after I sprinkled a little PureBites chicken breast dust over it she lapped it up.  The wheezing and gulping stopped immediately so that was the right thing to do. 

Five minutes later she was roughhousing with Queen Eva but only for a few minutes.

She didn't have any diarrhea after that meal until two hours later.

To answer your question, when she was having loose stools they were HUGE, but now that it's liquid it's just little amounts, about a tablespoon at a time.

The coconut oil is very few and far between. It's been a while since they had any. And the amounts when I do use it are minuscule.  But yes it crossed my mind. 

The irony here is she isn't puking at all , except for the coughing/choking spell but no food came up, just some clear liquid. The clear liquid was odd, I wonder if she had been drinking some water?  I was right here and didn't see her or hear her and surely I would have, as since none of them ever drink I think I would notice it.

But I've decided I think not to feed her any more tonight.  I've got to stop the diarrhea cycle I think. I don't know if that means I won't have a sample to run in to the clinic for testing tomorrow, but what will they test for anyway?  parasites? If the diarrhea is caused by a bacterial infection, would that bacteria show up in a fecal float test?  I can't imagine Mazy has any parasites.  From what, where?  She hasn't been outside in weeks (not that they've ever gotten parasites from their controlled outside time), and there are no fleas.

Well she is calm and relaxed now.  I'm going to feed Queen Eva and Jennie their bed time meal early, hopefully Mazy cat won't even ask for anything, and go to bed so I won't fret about not feeding Mazy cat.  Wish I had a bag of fluids handy.  When Tolly, and before him, Ootay, were here I always had fluids on hand.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 10:21:08 PM »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: