Author Topic: Mazy has declined supper  (Read 16895 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Mazy has declined supper
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2015, 04:43:47 PM »
 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1

Jennie and Queen Eva split a pancreas tablet (free range lamb from Australia and New Zealand) every other day.

I wonder how Mazy wold do with this?  What do you guys think?  Would her sensitivity to red meat be an issue?

This is the product I use:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00125Z9ZI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2015, 04:53:31 PM »
Do you think you could find some from pork? That's a red meat, but it's easier to digest for some reason. Before the allergist straightened my stomach out, I couldn't eat beef or lamb, but I could still eat pork.

Edit: and maybe, just maybe, her stomach would straighten out even more and she could digest red meat then?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2015, 05:16:37 PM »
They make a pork version. Ordering it today. Thanks Dee.

Or wait..what's your opinion on this:

http://www.virbacvet.com/products/detail/pancrezyme-powder-and-tablets

I can't find a list of ingredients.... you know like "other" ingredients.  Tablets of course would have to have a binder, and capsules (like the Nutricology) has to have other ingredients, wonder if the powder is pure..

That's a prescription product, but I don't suppose my vet would mind giving me a 'script.

found the "other" ingredients

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Pancrezyme-prod10345.html

Nutricology even has an ORGANIC version of the pork pancreas.  Tailor made for Mazy cat, eh?

A bit high in cost but if it helps her it would be worth it.

http://smile.amazon.com/Nutricology-Pancreas-Organic-Glandulars-Pork/dp/B005P0WR9M/ref=sr_1_7?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1448148934&sr=1-7&keywords=nutricology+pancreas

Edit again - I suspect a rat. I can find that "organic" nutricology product nowhere else, INCLUDING not on the nutricology website. Huh. I'll stick to the regular.

On further investigation I see "organinc is just part of the heading for this particular seller.  Scamming to charge a higher price.  I'll stick with the regular. Even if it turns out mazy can't handle it, the other two can, so it won't be wasted.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2015, 06:44:07 PM »

Edit again - I suspect a rat. I can find that "organic" nutricology product nowhere else, INCLUDING not on the nutricology website. Huh. I'll stick to the regular.

If you can't find it on the maker's website, then it isn't so. And just so you know, I'd put that "organic" seller on the "Never Buy From Here" list.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2015, 06:47:44 PM »

Or wait..what's your opinion on this:

http://www.virbacvet.com/products/detail/pancrezyme-powder-and-tablets

I'd see if she tolerates the OTC kind first. If she does, and it seems to help, then I MIGHT ask the vet for a prescription kind--simply because of the fact that it would for sure be standardized and the other helping would probably, most definitely indicate some type of pancreatic insufficiency.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2015, 07:23:25 PM »
Thanks Dee.  Yes that is what I am going to do.  I've had some other feed back about the Virbac, on the Raw for IBD page. Apparently it's pretty strong stuff, and shouldn't be given without an actual diagnosis.

Mazy may have to have those blood tests, but I am going to try her on the pork.

I sent an e mail to Nutricology about that "organic" seller with a link to the product page

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2015, 07:57:39 PM »
 thumbsup1

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2015, 10:25:27 PM »
I have no clue how to tell you to get it, but there's also this information:

https://www.mypetcarnivore.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=47&lang=en

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2015, 12:53:49 AM »
Wow, you ladies are smart!  No wonder I come here first when I have a furkid issue!

Glad you were able to get more food in Mazy...and no puking!!!!   dance1
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2015, 11:48:57 AM »
Official Sunday weigh-in:  MAZY CAT HAS GAINED AN OUNCE!

I will keep on with the .5 oz extra daily intake.  Will wait for the blood work results. (no earlier than Tuesday, possibly not until Wednesday, I think)

If thyroid and glucose are normal I will discuss the EPI tests (for pancreatic insufficiency) next.

In the meantime when the Nutricology pork pancreas comes I'll start her on that.  It will have to be just a tiny pinch of it at a time so it will be slow going to get her up to a full capsule a day.

The past two weeks I've been adding a shred of Tiki cat to her lunch meal every day. Soon I will increase that to a shred in lunch and one other meal, and so on.  When the By Nature organic runs out in March I want her body to be ready to accept the Tiki, I hope.  The ultimate plan is 3.3 ounces Rad Cat and one ounce Tiki. Or 1.5 ounces of Tiki if she continues to need extra food.

I just can't bring myself to put her on full Rad Cat.  If ever she, or I, need to be hospitalized, her body needs to be used to canned food of some kind.

I'd love to use MPC pancreas.  It just comes back to the same old excuse.  I just do not have the freezer space at this time.

As it is right now I am so crammed and crowded I am risking botulism or some other awful disease on some of my own food (soup, mac and cheese casserole, apple sauce) because it is in the "drawer" under the stupid ice box freezer, which is not really cold enough to keep frozen foods completely frozen. But I needed room for my frozen turkey breast for thanks giving.  Tomorrow I can take that out to start thawing in the fridge and can put the other foods back into the freezer part.

I have been over my apartment a trillion times.  I cannot work out any place to put another freezer. I'm starting to wonder if I should ask my landlord if he'd let me put one in his store.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2015, 04:43:35 PM »
Gooooood news about the weight gain.  How long did it take her to gain the ounce? 

As far as not going all raw ... this is the conclusion I came to (for ME and my circumstances)...  Rad Cat (all our pet food actually) is in frozen containers.  The containers are all marked. We do that for us because some food is just for the cats for a day.  Some is just for the dog for a day.  Some is cat and dog one meal.  You get the idea. 
It should be just as easy for someone to open a frozen container of raw, as it would be to open a can.  This is assuming neither hubby or I are available. 
If one should have an over night stay at the vet, I would "package" meals accordingly.  I can not imagine my current vet office not willing to allow me to bring in my own food. 

For ME... planning for a disaster doesn't outweigh the feeding of canned on a daily (or weekly) basis.  I'm not actually dogging canned.  I got tired of the hassle of companies discontinuing products I liked, adding ingredients I didn't care for, changing ingredients, me having to accept certain ingredients, etc.  Not feeding canned is just one less thing for me to deal with.   

If my freezer went out today, I'd ask my neighbors if I could use theirs!  I'd ask the ones that hunt first.  They would less likely not be grossed out.  lol  Definitely ask your landlord, whether you need the freezer space for pet food or yourself.  What is the worst that can happen... he will say no.  You won't know if you don't ask. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 04:48:59 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2015, 04:47:26 PM »
Around here, you can rent freezer space in some places. If ours goes out, I'm hoping we can do that.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2015, 05:47:22 PM »
Gooooood news about the weight gain.  How long did it take her to gain the ounce? 

Five weeks. Being fed a half ounce more than usual. (in other words 1/8th diet increase.)  That is too slow, I think.

If one should have an over night stay at the vet, I would "package" meals accordingly.  I can not imagine my current vet office not willing to allow me to bring in my own food. 

Own food yes.  Raw, no.

I'm not actually dogging canned.

I know. :)

I got tired of the hassle of companies discontinuing products I liked, adding ingredients I didn't care for, changing ingredients, me having to accept certain ingredients, etc.  Not feeding canned is just one less thing for me to deal with.   

I do agree.  But still...this is how I have to do it for now.

Definitely ask your landlord, whether you need the freezer space for pet food or yourself.  What is the worst that can happen... he will say no.  You won't know if you don't ask. 

A lot easier said than done.  I am not an assertive type.  HeadButt

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2015, 05:41:16 AM »
Mazy's blood work is all normal with two exceptions.  Elevated cholesterol,. which is normal for her.

Elevated Eosinophils which (most common) can indicate a parasite.  Vet of course started muttering about raw diets but I interrupted her and told her I do not believe raw diets cause parasites in cats.  There ARE other causes for this number being elevated, such as allergic reactions, tumors, heartworm, IBD (yep) and Addisons (hmmm)

Vet doesn't recommend using a de-wormer at this time. (her fecal float was negative but I realize that is not all conclusive)

She lost a half ounce this week of the ounce she gained last week.  Actually when I first weighed her she had gained a half ounce.  Then, right after I weighed her she went down and had another big pee. I weighed her again.  Then she was an ounce less than before the pee.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2015, 01:24:46 PM »
Just throwing this out there. Parasites like giardia don't always show up in fecal tests or even the specific tests for it. Neither do tapeworms.

Tags: