Author Topic: 2 Out Of 6 Had Something Going On This Week...  (Read 1864 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
2 Out Of 6 Had Something Going On This Week...
« on: January 15, 2016, 05:17:59 PM »
Roxy and Arrows didn't eat breakfast Monday morning.  VERY out of the norm...especially for Arrows.  He hasn't met a food that he doesn't like... or a food that doesn't agree with him.
Long story short, they would eat hit and miss and very small amounts.
I offered them all their favorites. 
Different foods and/or proteins were offered for every meal. 
I dusted their food with a crushed Vets Best tablet.  Normally a for sure thing.
Dusted with cat nip.
I offered them canned ...even knowing it would be a for sure barf trigger for Roxy. 
The best I could do was get them to eat a little every day. 
Roxy went back to normal eating habits Wednesday evening, and has stayed on track.
Arrows went back to normal Thursday evening.
Just to be clear... if they had gone 48 hours eating absolutely nothing, they would have been at the vet right away.  If they hadn't started to show some improvement, they were going to the vet.

Hubby and I have picked our brains trying to figure out what the heck happened.  What bothered those two and yet none of the others?  They don't have the same habits...good or bad.  :)  They don't sleep in the same places.  They play different games.  They get along, but they do their own thing 99% of the time. 

The only thing we can come up with is food.  We mixed up a batch on Sunday evening.  Everyone ate samples, as we were spooning food into freezer containers.
It was also fed on Monday morning for breakfast.  The other 4 ate as normal.
Something in that batch of food must have made them sick.  For whatever reasons, the others were able to tolerate it.  That is our GUESS.  I understand Roxy being more likely to have issues if a food is "off," just because of her previous tummy issues....but not Arrows. 

Anyway, they are both totally back to normal.  Eating habits, activity levels, etc.  I'll be glad to get my psoriasis back under control now too.  :)

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:28:58 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: 2 Out Of 6 Had Something Going On This Week...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 06:13:17 PM »
I'm glad all is well again. Frustrating when you can't really pinpoint a cause. What a relief.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 09:02:43 AM »
I went back and dug through the trash to check the labels of all the meats.  That was horrid!  Anyway, I thought maybe a meat, organ, or liver was beef.  Nope. 
With those two eating so little for so many days, I don't think I am going to chance feeding any of that batch again.  As curious as I am... I don't want to risk it. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 11:18:48 AM »
I'm glad they're back to normal!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 07:00:25 AM »
I'm glad they're back to normal!

Thanks.  I am glad they are all better also, but....  being anal retentive, I am still trying to figure out what the heck happened.  Our next guess is... Roxy and Arrows may have licked the supplements, before they were totally mixed into the raw batch. 

There is just nothing around the house that they both would have gotten into or done.  They have completely different habits and such. 

I guess I really just want to know if it was somehow the food.  They were ill for several days. I don't want to risk several days of sickness just to satisfy my curiosity.  As much as I REALLY want to know. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 05:35:01 AM »
I understand.  I was that way when Mazy cat had her illness back in October.  (She is just now showing the results of that in her whiskers, the new set have grown in short.)

But I wasn't going to risk going through it again by trying the suspected food or supplements again.

I hate not knowing but it hasn't repeated so I am trying to let it go. (because I am so good at that hahahaha!)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 07:31:28 AM »

I hate not knowing but it hasn't repeated so I am trying to let it go. (because I am so good at that hahahaha!)

I SO understand!  Unfortunately.  lol

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 04:38:56 PM »
 :D

Tags: