Author Topic: Tempting, but weird  (Read 1899 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Tempting, but weird
« on: March 20, 2015, 04:49:38 PM »
I was in the local Tractor Supply yesterday, and they have live chicks and ducklings for sale.  They do this every year.  Whenever they do, there's that little temptation to see what would happen if I brought home a live chick for Pookie.  But with my luck, they'd become friends and then I'd have to care for a chicken or duck . . .  ::)

And if they didn't become friends . . . well . . . I'd feel sorry for the poor chick/duckling.  Esp. since Pookie's had a tendency to play with what he catches first.   :-X

I wonder how many other people actually do buy them, though, to feed their pets . . . And can you imagine that conversation at the check-out . . . "Yes, I'm buying them to feed my cat."   :D
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Tempting, but weird
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 05:08:11 PM »

I wonder how many other people actually do buy them, though, to feed their pets . . . And can you imagine that conversation at the check-out . . . "Yes, I'm buying them to feed my cat."   :D

Or snake, or carnivorous lizard, or. . .
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 05:54:46 PM »
Most people who feed whole prey buy them already dead. And they are usually only a day or two old I think.

Except for crickets.  Something I still haven't had the guts to try.  didn't Lola try it though?

I don't think I could put a fluffy little chick down and watch my cats kill it. Though the times Jennie or Queen Eva has caught a mouse while we were in the yard they've killed it instantly.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 09:13:24 AM »
It is one thing if my cats catch a lizard, that gets in the house...kill and eat it.  It is another thing for me to actually feed them something live.
I do feed live crickets from time to time.  They SO enjoy catching them, and eating them.  I have mixed emotions.   Silly7
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: