Author Topic: FDA looks at Pet Food  (Read 894 times)

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
FDA looks at Pet Food
« on: October 25, 2013, 06:43:49 PM »

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/fda-proposes-strict-new-safety-rules-animal-food-8C11462915?ocid=msnhp&pos=2

*snips*

The new regulation, part of the FDA’s Food Safety Modernization Act, would require for the first time that companies that make pet food and animal feed follow good manufacturing practices that encompass basic issues such as sanitation and hazard analysis.

They would apply to all domestic and imported animal food, including pet food, pet treats, animal feed, and the raw ingredients that make those products.

That means, for instance, that the producers of chicken, corn and sweet potato jerky treats made in China and blamed for the deaths of 600 pets and illnesses in about 3,600, will have to meet strict new requirements before their products can be sold, officials said.
The FDA will hold three public meetings in November and December to seek input on the proposed rule.
The new rules will be open for public comment for 120 days, and would be adopted as law within 60 days after the comment period closes.
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: FDA looks at Pet Food
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 09:14:44 PM »
Honestly, it's about damned time they start doing something.

I really wish they'd stick the "This product contains milk, eggs, wheat, soybean, peanuts, tree nuts, fish and shellfish" label on pet foods too. It really would be nice for people with allergies.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: