Author Topic: Feather Meal Fluff  (Read 2627 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Feather Meal Fluff
« on: July 24, 2015, 01:48:24 PM »
Feather Meal Fluff--the new great protein  BSbaloney

http://truthaboutpetfood.com/the-feather-meal-fluff/

There is a new pet food ingredient heading our way…feather meal.  The pitch to consumers and veterinarians has begun.  Brace yourself, feather meal might be coming to a pet food near you very soon.

Ground feathers as a protein source for dog and cat food is being pitched to veterinarians and consumers all over the world.   Scampers Pet Food in the UK alerted me of Big Pet Food veterinarians talking up the benefits of feather meal.  A few days later I heard from Dr. Tanabe in Japan sharing the very same story – feather meal is being pitched as the new best thing in pet food.  Add to the global push of feather meal, then I find an new article in Forbes magazine pitching the wonders of this new pet food ingredient.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Feather Meal Fluff
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 03:16:25 PM »
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/07/17/feather-meal.aspx

Feather Meal: Say No to This Expensive Pet Food – It's Weirder Than You Can Imagine

This is interesting spin. First of all, I would hope anyone who is in the business of making food for dogs recognizes their nutritional requirements differ from those of humans. Levy seems to believe Royal Canin lives by this "conviction," but pet parents don't. According to Levy, pet owners apparently think their dogs should eat organic food, or food with meat as the first ingredient.

Silly pet owners! It seems clear Royal Canin believes we should follow their lead and stop focusing on the ingredients in the food we offer our pets. Instead, we should be feeding formulas with "great protein" derived from soy. Or feathers. Yes, feathers. More about that shortly.

He also believes we should focus on health outcomes versus ingredients. Well, Mr. Levy, current health outcomes of feeding non human-grade, biologically inappropriate ingredients include maldigestion, malabsorption, nutrient deficiency in the face of obesity, organ and metabolic dysfunction, and immune dysfunction (both cancer and auto-immmune disease).
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 05:35:15 PM »
For some reason, I am not surprised. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 09:42:23 PM »
Feather Meal Fluff--the new great protein

::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 04:49:32 PM »
The few times my dog(s) caught birds, the feathers were always what was left behind.  Same with the outdoor cats (not mine). 

Offline Pet South

• Chatter Bug
  • Because pets are family...
    • Pet South on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 01:42:52 PM »
And I was just talking to a vet who said if Jemma won't eat the Dr Hills to try Royal Canin lol
Because pets are family...

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 05:15:30 PM »
And I was just talking to a vet who said if Jemma won't eat the Dr Hills to try Royal Canin lol

A vet that recommends Hills is going to also recommend Royal Canin and Purina. Sad...

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 05:28:31 PM »
I'm not sure what would upset me more, their pine-tree cellulose that causes guts to not work right, or broken down feathers that aren't good for anything in the real world except fiberous trash to be pooped out when an animal accidentally eats them?

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 02:00:27 AM »
Thanks for the news...there will be no feather meal in this house---good grief!! pullingouthair

Tags: