Author Topic: All-time best ever bribe food?  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
All-time best ever bribe food?
« on: January 31, 2018, 01:32:59 PM »
So, I am still having to use more canned food than I want to.  I get it mostly for Jenny, but when the other cats smell it, they want some, too. 

What are the best things to add to raw to make it taste...I guess stronger, maybe?  I've seen Fortiflora suggested several times.  I know some people use Parmesan cheese, and I would like to know if that has worked for anyone, and if so, was it freshly-grated, or the stuff in the little green cans?  I have also wondered about bonito flakes.  In another thread, the one about bone broth, I was asking about making my own version of those Fancy Feast broths, but I am not sure anyone saw that, or the spin-off thread I requested (I probably should have asked that it be renamed and moved here.)

I don't mind keeping some canned around, but I really want it to be for emergencies only, and not the main thing she eats.

What have you used to make raw more palatable to your change-resistant cats? 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: All-time best ever bribe food?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 01:52:12 PM »
In another thread, the one about bone broth, I was asking about making my own version of those Fancy Feast broths, but I am not sure anyone saw that, or the spin-off thread I requested (I probably should have asked that it be renamed and moved here.)

Try making some homemade baby food, except in a runnier, more gravy-ish consistency. Just about any animal will first pick cooked over raw if given a choice. Cooking intensifies the flavors and scents for them.

You can always make the meat-puree gravy, stick it in ice-cube trays, and just bring enough out for a couple of days at a time.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 02:21:20 PM »
Try making some homemade baby food, except in a runnier, more gravy-ish consistency. Just about any animal will first pick cooked over raw if given a choice. Cooking intensifies the flavors and scents for them.

You can always make the meat-puree gravy, stick it in ice-cube trays, and just bring enough out for a couple of days at a time.

I have a big container in the freezer, some of the bone broth I made, with all of the very shredded chicken meat, and that's kind of what I was thinking of doing with it.  I know fish is not good as a large portion of the diet, but I was wondering if it would be okay to add a little bit to this.  I read that mackerel is better for them than tuna, but the amount of sodium in the cans I found was ridiculous.  I did find one tiny can of sardines with no salt added, just sardines in water.  I will try to find more. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 02:32:52 PM »
The only place I can find no-salt sardines in water is Publix. I don't know why no one else will carry them. I can get raw, sardine-grind at Licker and Whine from Primal, but then I have to repackage it, and it's just a PITA.

So, thanks to my lazy butt, they'll just stick with the canned frozen a bit so Vlad doesn't get it all over his beard, or the Primal Turkey and Sardine Pronto that I use when I've forgotten to defrost.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 03:38:10 PM »
I've always used PureBites freeze dried chicken breast, and back in the early days forti-flora when all else failed.

I don't usually need incentives any more but sometimes Queen Eva might not finished her EZc gravy and for that I use PureBites freeze dried chicken crushed to dust.

For Mazy cat I use this - just a pinch is needed.  This is the pancreas she gets with her prey model meals.  She doesn't seem to care for chicken breast with EZc as much as the thigh, and often asks for a helper.  So I give her a whiff of the opened capsule then sprinkle the barest trace over it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IRLHQQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 02:17:00 AM »
The only place I can find no-salt sardines in water is Publix. I don't know why no one else will carry them. I can get raw, sardine-grind at Licker and Whine from Primal, but then I have to repackage it, and it's just a PITA.

So, thanks to my lazy butt, they'll just stick with the canned frozen a bit so Vlad doesn't get it all over his beard, or the Primal Turkey and Sardine Pronto that I use when I've forgotten to defrost.

I found these at Walmart, of all places.  I haven't looked anywhere else yet.  Sadly, we do not have Publix here.  I wish we did.  I may see if I can find more on Amazon.  We have Prime, may as well take advantage of that free shipping. 

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 02:41:00 AM »
I've always used PureBites freeze dried chicken breast, and back in the early days forti-flora when all else failed.

I don't usually need incentives any more but sometimes Queen Eva might not finished her EZc gravy and for that I use PureBites freeze dried chicken crushed to dust.

For Mazy cat I use this - just a pinch is needed.  This is the pancreas she gets with her prey model meals.  She doesn't seem to care for chicken breast with EZc as much as the thigh, and often asks for a helper.  So I give her a whiff of the opened capsule then sprinkle the barest trace over it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IRLHQQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is the pancreas the entirety of her "other organ" portion when you feed prey model?  If it is, I may order this stuff anyway, as I want to offer prey-model to the dogs, and to a couple of the cats who I think are ready for it.  I think I will also try the PureBites, which would also be a nice treat for them.  I will probably also try to find some more no-salt sardines in water, and finish that batch of homemade Fancy Feast-type broth.  I really do not want to get Fortiflora unless I have to.  It feels sort of like the "nuclear option" to me:  an absolute last resort.  We are not there at this point, as everyone DOES eventually eat.  Only Jenny utterly demands that something be added to her meals, and she is usually satisfied with the broth from a food pouch, or a bit of canned lightly mixed in.  The problem is, when the other cats smell it, they want some, too, and if I don't give it to them, they get into hers. Thus the need for something wholesome and affordable that everyone likes, ideally something that can be used in tiny amounts, and will not prolong their dependence on commercial food.

I love my cats, but boy, do I wish they were as easily satisfied as dogs!   ::)  The only time Lily and Bandit refuse food is when they are just not hungry. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 12:37:18 PM »
Pancreas went over like a lead balloon with a few of mine.  Some wouldn't TOUCH the food that contained raw pancreas.  Just telling you that so don't stock up right away! 

As far as dogs vs cats.... same at my house.  Lacy  rainbow3 dog was only picky when I fed dry.  Even then it was rare.  Once she was fed an all raw diet... she would eat anything!  Never any waste!   Silly7
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 12:41:42 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 12:41:18 PM »
Pancreas went over like a lead balloon with a few of mine.  They wouldn't TOUCH the food that contained raw pancreas.  Just telling you that so don't stock up right away! 

It's not raw pancreas.  It's freeze dried glandular. Powder in a capsule. :)

They get prey model on Sundays.  This is their "2nd organ".

CatGirl, since prey model meals are only one day out of the week I don't worry TOO much about exact balance.  A meal consists of 1.2 ounces of muscle meat, 0.1 oz liver and half a capsule of pancreas. Jennie gets a wing for her entire daily calcium, Mazy cat and Queen Eva get egg shell calcium from Alnutrin.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 12:42:50 PM »

Oops. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 02:03:08 PM »

They get prey model on Sundays.  This is their "2nd organ".

CatGirl, since prey model meals are only one day out of the week I don't worry TOO much about exact balance.  A meal consists of 1.2 ounces of muscle meat, 0.1 oz liver and half a capsule of pancreas. Jennie gets a wing for her entire daily calcium, Mazy cat and Queen Eva get egg shell calcium from Alnutrin.

I can see that it's a capsule, I was just wondering if you used it in place of non-liver organs for that meal. 

UPDATE:  LOL, now I have my own "oops," as I see you were replying to Lola.  I think I need a nap.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 02:04:59 PM by Catgirl64 »

Tags: