Author Topic: Bobcat Attacks Dog In Anthem, Az  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Bobcat Attacks Dog In Anthem, Az
« on: July 17, 2017, 05:10:30 PM »
What a story!  Bobcat goes after dog.  Dog holds his own.  Witness helps out dog and dog owner...
Bolding is mine.

Firefighters in Anthem, Arizona, say a man attempting to intervene on a bobcat attack was bit, and the bobcat is now being tested for rabies.

According to KSAZ and a video posted by a bystander, the bobcat apparently started following a man and his German shepherd while on a walk early Sunday morning. The video below shows the bobcat latched onto the dog as two men attempt to get it off. (Listen to the vicious growling of the feline as the men try to rip it away from the dog.)

As you’ll see in the video below, one of the men who saw the attack going down actually jumped out of his car and completely forgot to put his vehicle in park. The guy filming the whole thing explains how he ran after the car as it rolled down the street and “never ran so fast in his life.”

The driver who jumped out of the car turns out to be the one who rips the bobcat off the dog, but he also gets bit in the process. He instinctively whips the bobcat around as it’s latched onto his hand . . . not a smart move, (Seriously?  Like we all have "smarts" in a situation like that!) as a violent reaction like that could cause permanent damage to his hand.

Fortunately, both the man and the dog are expected to be okay.

As for the bobcat, it had to be killed after Arizona Game and Fish officials arrived at the scene because it continued to display aggressive behavior. The bobcat is now being tested for rabies.

VIDEO:
https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2017/07/17/must-see-video-bobcat-attacks-two-men-dog-arizona/
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 05:16:50 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Bobcat Attacks Dog In Anthem, Az
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 08:11:51 PM »
That's scary.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 10:45:45 PM »
I'm not going to watch the video, but can someone tell me what kind of dog it was?  Large?  Small?  If it was small, I'd wonder if the bobcat thought it would be easy prey . . . or maybe it was rabid.   :-\
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 10:30:31 AM »
I'm not going to watch the video, but can someone tell me what kind of dog it was?  Large?  Small?  If it was small, I'd wonder if the bobcat thought it would be easy prey . . . or maybe it was rabid.   :-\

Dog German Shepherd. The bobcat is being tested for rabies.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 04:40:59 PM »
It was just on TV, that bobcat has rabies. . .and the GSD has to be quarantined for 45 days.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 04:44:57 PM »
It was just on TV, that bobcat has rabies. . .and the GSD has to be quarantined for 45 days.

Did the dog owner not have the GSD rabies certificate?  Or.... is the certificate not worth the paper it is written on?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 06:20:46 PM »
Did the dog owner not have the GSD rabies certificate?  Or.... is the certificate not worth the paper it is written on?

I have no clue. That's just what they said on the trash-tv between segments of local news. Inside Edition:

However, their online video doesn't say it or show it in the written story below it:

http://www.insideedition.com/headlines/24538-harrowing-video-shows-mans-frantic-effort-to-fight-off-bobcat-attacking-pedestrian-dog

So, I looked it up and found this:

Only the man from the first incident was bitten. The three men at the resort suffered minor scratches to their arms.

The dog, which was vaccinated, was placed in quarantine that will last less than two weeks. The house cat's vaccinations were expired so Roger was placed on a longer, 45-day home quarantine.

Rest at: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/18/resort-arizona-town-on-alert-after-rabid-bobcat-attacks-injured-4-people.html

EDIT:  OOPS. That's a story from January. So I don't know. I just know that Inside Edition said something about 45 days today.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 06:24:26 PM by DeeDee »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 09:49:46 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if they require the quarantine even if the dog was current on the rabies vaccine.  I was told by a vet tech that if your pet gets out and comes back, they automatically give the pet a rabies "booster" in case they were exposed to the virus, even if they're vaccination is current.  Which got me thinking, so does that mean the vaccine's not effective to begin with, that the pet would need a "booster?" In which case, why bother at all?  Either it works or it doesn't?  But maybe that's just my weird logic.

Sorry, I digressed . . .

The guy who got bit will also have to be vaccinated.  I didn't read/watch the links so clearly I missed the part about a house cat getting attacked as well.

I hope everyone (human and non-human) is healthy  and recovers.   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:52:51 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 10:22:43 PM »

The guy who got bit will also have to be vaccinated.  I didn't read/watch the links so clearly I missed the part about a house cat getting attacked as well.

That cat part was the reason for the edit. It happened in January, not July.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 10:26:15 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if they require the quarantine even if the dog was current on the rabies vaccine.  I was told by a vet tech that if your pet gets out and comes back, they automatically give the pet a rabies "booster" in case they were exposed to the virus, even if they're vaccination is current. 

Yes. It's standard protocol to give a new booster to a pet that's been exposed to a rabid (and/or wild) animal. But I've never heard of giving another booster just because a pet got out. Syringe happy people.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 10:32:14 PM by DeeDee »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 10:38:24 PM »
I'm not against rabies vaccinations.  I'm against the BS of vaccinating every 3 years, booster carp, when the wind blows... 

Tags: