Author Topic: What kind of scale do you use to weigh them?  (Read 3622 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
What kind of scale do you use to weigh them?
« on: August 17, 2011, 06:01:06 AM »
I keep saying I'm going to get a good baby scale to monitor weight at home.  But when I go into Amazon to shop for one the selection is so huge I can't make a decision. 

Anyone have one they use and like?

I'm thinking of this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009KX5U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: What kind of scale do you use to weigh them?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 07:12:54 AM »
At home postal scale.  I put a feline in a carrier and weigh them.  Then deduct the carrier weight.  I have the weight of all our carriers marked on the carriers themselves.
I also have a Weight Watchers scale for people.  I weigh myself.  I hold a cat and weigh both of us.  Deduct my weight.

Dual purpose scales, for a lot less money.   ;D
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 11:27:55 AM »
I use the same scale that I use to wiegh out the cats food.  It only goes up to 6.6 pounds, but I put about 6.6 pounds worth of stuff on it, and then set it back to zero.  That way, I can trick it into going up to around 13 pounds.  
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 10:40:02 PM by Lola, Reason: Pictures removed. Can\'t use another websites bandwidth to post pictures. »

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 12:06:17 PM »
I also have a Weight Watchers scale for people.  I weigh myself.  I hold a cat and weigh both of us.  Deduct my weight.
  That is what I do too.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 01:49:58 PM »
I have the "Salter 914 Electronic Baby and Toddler Scale" that you posted the link to.  I love it and highly recommend it  :D

cat3

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 03:15:25 PM »
Thanks you guys!  I think I will go with the Salter, thanks Tasha. It just went down in price by $10 too!  bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild

I don't have a human scale as I don't weigh myself, I just go by how my clothes fit. If my stomach starts hanging over my jeans when I sit down I know I've been eating too much and it's time to cut back. :D

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 07:52:28 AM »
The really great thing about the Salter is that it weighs in pounds, ounces and even half ounces~ very, very accurate.  When T&T became sick last November, I was able to see the ounces they lost and keep track as they gained it back  thumbsup1

cat3

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 10:55:57 AM »
The really great thing about the Salter is that it weighs in pounds, ounces and even half ounces~ very, very accurate.  When T&T became sick last November, I was able to see the ounces they lost and keep track as they gained it back  thumbsup1

cat3

One of the reasons I mentioned our scale was a WW one is because it also includes ounces.  First time I have had a human scale that included ounces.  No half ounces though.  I don't think I could do the math for that!   Bumpurr1
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 05:37:04 PM »
At home postal scale.  I put a feline in a carrier and weigh them.  Then deduct the carrier weight.  I have the weight of all our carriers marked on the carriers themselves.
I also have a Weight Watchers scale for people.  I weigh myself.  I hold a cat and weigh both of us.  Deduct my weight.

Dual purpose scales, for a lot less money.   ;D

I know this was old, but I was searching for a good scale, and a postal scale is pure genius!  I've looked at a couple, and they seem to be not only more accurate than baby scales, but more affordable, too!  Thank you, Lola!   DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 05:58:31 PM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 06:39:59 PM »
I know this was old, but I was searching for a good scale, and a postal scale is pure genius!  I've looked at a couple, and they seem to be not only more accurate than baby scales, but more affordable, too!  Thank you, Lola!   DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy

thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 07:01:33 PM »
thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1

Ordered this on Amazon.  I think it will work well.  I like the fact that the display is on a cord, and not obscured by whatever is placed on the scale. 

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-Digital-Shipping-Postal/dp/B00I9D5IFM/ref=nav_ya_signin?s=office-products&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1513728321&sr=1-3&keywords=postal+scale&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&

I'll post about this in the transitioning thread, too, I hope that's not considered spamming. 

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 07:04:16 PM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 04:35:21 AM »
nope. The scale info most definitely would be appropriate for your transition thread. :)

Tags: