Author Topic: Zukes - Really Unhappy.  (Read 2369 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Zukes - Really Unhappy.
« on: December 13, 2014, 08:03:46 PM »
It seems that in the beginning of this year, Zukes was acquired by Nestle/Purina. Nothing is said about it on the site, and so far, I've yet to see anything on the bags.

Not happy. Not happy at all. I guess I'll be looking for something new for training and baiting, because keeping this on the down-low tells me that something's wrong somewhere.

I just found out from this post https://www.facebook.com/ZukesPets/photos/a.439972561342.228267.15662546342/10152855632911343/?type=1

So I looked it up and saw this: http://www.zukes.com/meet-zukes/for-media/press-releases/zukes-partners-with-nestle-purina-petcare

Now that's the only place I've seen it on the site, and you have to dig into press releases to find it. When you use something for years, you just don't expect things like this. Yes they announced it, but they're NOT very open about it.

I guess this is a lesson for me. No matter how much you trust a company, check out their company info every few months.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 10:47:20 AM by Lola, Reason: edited subject line »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Really Unhappy.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 09:02:34 PM »
Hmm.  NO wonder they were put in the same display as the Simply Nourish. Coming down in the world.  That sneakiness is very disturbing, I agree.

And, and I understand your dismay about having to find something new. But you're right, we can never let our gaurd down, even on products we trust - relatively speaking with that word trust.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 09:24:15 PM »
What makes me feel the sickest, I've recommended these things as training crack for ages now, and I've gone through the whole of 2014 still doing so without knowing what occurred this past January.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 09:31:22 PM »
 :-* HeadButt

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 01:36:13 AM »
Sorry this is happening to you. :(  I have never liked their cat treat ingredients, have not looked at the dog ones.It  seems this a growing trend for these "smaller" companies being bought out by the big wigs. Just like the rumor of Blue being bought by Mars now.
All I can say is adios and good luck to them. That food was not much better than anything Mars has anyhow.  Doh1
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 09:41:33 AM »
I have never liked their cat treat ingredients, have not looked at the dog ones.

Zukes was one of the few companies I could find that had soft versions for fast easy-tearing-training-treating that had some grain-free options. Those rabbit Lil' Links were my #1 "training-only" treats that I reserved just because they were so nutsy about them. They really will do anything for them. And I knew where the meat was coming from.

I look at this as just another of Purina's recent ploys to enter the, "We hate you Purina," market. The biggest red flag for me in that press release was this one single statement:

• Every recipe will remain the same, or be improved, but
will never be compromised.

That one little phrase makes me lose all trust in them since I don't trust what might be Purina's ideas of improvement. The bit about continuing to be run independently by same people, blah, blah, blah just doesn't change (in my mind) that one tiny phrase.

Odd thing right at this moment is that I can't access that press release in Zuke's page. I could only get to the FB version to make sure I didn't mess up that exact quote:

Edit: I've been going through the comments on that page since last night, and I guess I need to start going through this list:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/animal-parents-against-pet-treats-and-food-made-in-china/member-recommended-treats/261935713896054
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 09:50:38 AM by DeeDee »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 10:44:56 AM »
Purina buying up so many companies... UGH!
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Zukes - Really Unhappy.
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 11:06:20 AM »
From Zukes/Purina website:

Fight the good fight! Learn more about the Dog and Cat Cancer Fund.

Sooooo much is just wrong with that statement...
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: zukes purina