Author Topic: Phytoplankton Warning For Auto-Immune Disorder Pets. . .  (Read 1099 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Phytoplankton Warning For Auto-Immune Disorder Pets. . .
« on: February 17, 2018, 10:47:52 AM »
Recently in this post, I said I was going to check into Phytoplankton for the Omega 3s since it's hard to give Vlad other fats because of his tendency toward pancreatitis.  http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=5579.msg41929

Well. I've tried it, and I've noticed a bad effect on him. It seems to cause him to have his stress issues after it's been given. I've given it at 2nd meal at 5 p.m. since Tuesday. I'm not giving it again. He's had the panting, pacing, and clinging that's indicative of him needing more prednisone every evening that he's had it starting at about 6:30 p.m. This issue has gone on from the first time I gave it.

I started looking last night, and I've found 2 things that I think indicate it's not good for him since:
1. He's got an auto-immune disorder
2. His gone past what you'd call adrenal fatigue since Addison's is complete adrenal failure.

The first:

Auto-immune diseases” such as multiple sclerosis (MS), lupus (systemic lupus erythematosus, SLE), rheumatoid arthritis (RA), pemphigus vulgaris (a skin condition), and others: Blue-green algae might cause the immune system to become more active, and this could increase the symptoms of auto-immune diseases. If you have one of these conditions, it’s best to avoid using blue-green algae. From: https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-923-blue-green%20algae.aspx

While it doesn't list Addison's there, it's still an auto-immune disorder, and as anyone with an auto-immune disorder can tell you, any auto-immune disorder can cause other auto-immune disorders to develop. So from that aspect, giving this worries me in case he develops more disorders.

The second these last 2 quotes are from https://www.drlam.com/blog/marine-phytoplankton-benefits-detoxification-properties/19094/:

Marine Phytoplankton Benefits and Adrenal Fatigue Recovery
In Adrenal Fatigue recovery, it is important that all of the systems in the body are working well together. The approach must therefore be holistic, as outlined by the NEM stress response. Marine phytoplankton benefits the body by helping with detoxification of the extracellular matrix, binding both the free radicals found in the cells and those that have escaped into the matrix. The matrix is systemic, so free radicals generated in the intestines are able to move through your body. Luckily, phytoplankton is small, so it can penetrate and bind free radicals where needed. This detoxification is very important in Adrenal Fatigue recovery.

In Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome (AFS), the body is under constant stress. This stress can be external, such as work or life events, or internal, such as a chronic illness. This constant stress puts demands on your adrenal glands to produce cortisol. Cortisol is a hormone that helps your body to manage and react to stressful stimuli. When reacting to a short-term issue, cortisol is beneficial. When stress is chronic, however, the effects of cortisol can be detrimental. One of these effects is decreased production of the extracellular matrix, which is the nutrient rich substance between cells. This substance connects your entire body. As mentioned above, it must be cleansed and properly detoxified in order to function properly and prevent toxins from entering your cells and remove toxins that have accumulated.

When excess cortisol is produced, the extracellular matrix is diminished. This means, along with decreasing the availability of nutrients to the cells, it is also easier for toxins to accumulate in the matrix. Because there is less matrix, the concentration of toxins increases, which increases the risk of spreading to other cells. In the case of free radicals, this could be detrimental because a highly reactive molecule can move rapidly through the body and damage many cells along the way. This will further exacerbate the issues already caused by Adrenal Fatigue because more cells will be damaged, which causes more damage to the body as a whole. A congested extracellular matrix can lead to paradoxical reactions, hypersensitivities, and even EMF intolerance.

The cell membrane can be a barrier to some supplements, but marine phytoplankton benefits can pass through. Supplementation for marine phytoplankton benefits, while it can’t directly improve adrenal function or alter cortisol levels, helps to detoxify the extracellular matrix by binding free radicals and improving cellular membrane function to protect the cells. This is important because the supplement is able to minimize the damage caused by excess cortisol in early stages of Adrenal Fatigue.

The fatty acids that are in the phytoplankton also play a role in providing more structure for cellular membranes. This membrane maintenance helps the toxins in the cell remain in the cell until neutralized; it also keeps the toxins in the extracellular matrix in the extracellular matrix and out of the cell.

And:

There is much that is still unkown about marine phytoplankton benefits, and new research is constantly unlocking more secrets. For those in advanced stages of Adrenal Fatigue, detoxing too quickly can cause a retoxification reaction. Be sure to consult a health care provider regarding an appropriate dosage for optimum effect and safety.

Now I've given him Spirulina a couple of times a week for the iodine and other qualities, but it's not done anything like this. So, something is specific with Phytoplankton that's causing it. I've also not given him a large amount since Dogs Naturally said that 1/16 of a teaspoon was enough for any dog.

I took one of these capsules and gave approximately 1/2 of the capsule to both V&B: http://www.umaclife.com

I don't think I'll give this to Barkly either. The spirulina already seems to work well enough for them, so I'm not going to replace it. If you also have a pet with an auto-immune disorder, especially of the adrenal variety, think twice before you give this.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 10:54:37 AM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Phytoplankton Warning For Auto-Immune Disorder Pets. . .
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 03:07:34 PM »
Good detective work Dee.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 06:27:32 PM »
Thank you, MC.

Annnnnd, he's not flipping out tonight.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 11:17:09 PM »

Annnnnd, he's not flipping out tonight.

thumbsup1:-*
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: