Author Topic: Jennie developing an intolerance to beef?  (Read 29685 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Jennie developing an intolerance to beef?
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2018, 05:32:39 AM »
It sounds like she is doing better, then? 

Well she hasn't had any of those big soft ones in a while. But some, even though they look like normal raw fed poops, are still very strong smelling. Thanks for asking!

If it matters any... our furkids eat all their raw meals right from the refrigerator...completely thawed. 

Jennie's meats are still a bit cold, just not frozen like they were.

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2018, 11:14:23 PM »
Have you decided what to do about pork yet?  I saw you mention that you were offering small bits of it cooked.  If you have decided to add it as a regular item, do you have a Sprouts Market in your area?  I get a lot of my meat there, because they don't add solution to it, even their bagged roasts are free of that stuff.  Shoulder roasts are on sale this week, 99 cents/lb.  There is a limit of two per customer, so J and I will be going in with separate carts.   >:D

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2018, 10:06:47 PM »
If you have decided to add it as a regular item, do you have a Sprouts Market in your area? 

Thanks for the suggestion, but both MC and I are in the NorthEast, so we'd have to go to Maryland to get to the closest Sprouts.  But maybe there's something near MC that would be an option?
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2018, 05:12:53 AM »
Thank you Catgirl, I do not have a Sprouts. I have a choice of Walmart, two local (local to the Northeast USA I mean) grocery chains, or Aldis.  I never go in Aldis, that building is along the river and floods often and I find the smell of mold too awful.

I have not yet fed the pork.  I can't get past my early conditioned fear of raw pork.  I may cook it and feed it that way.  Jennie and Queen Eva do go nuts over the cooked pork bits (from the bone broth) I give them.

Jennie continues to really show no pattern to the smelly poops.  Sometimes I THINK it might be turkey, but then there will be days and days with normal non smelly stool, regardless of what she is fed.

There haven't been any of those bigger soft ones in a month or so, though.

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2018, 04:04:41 AM »
Thank you Catgirl, I do not have a Sprouts. I have a choice of Walmart, two local (local to the Northeast USA I mean) grocery chains, or Aldis.  I never go in Aldis, that building is along the river and floods often and I find the smell of mold too awful.

I have not yet fed the pork.  I can't get past my early conditioned fear of raw pork.  I may cook it and feed it that way.  Jennie and Queen Eva do go nuts over the cooked pork bits (from the bone broth) I give them.

Jennie continues to really show no pattern to the smelly poops.  Sometimes I THINK it might be turkey, but then there will be days and days with normal non smelly stool, regardless of what she is fed.

There haven't been any of those bigger soft ones in a month or so, though.

Rats.  I am sorry you don't have Sprouts.  If pressed to describe it, I would say it's part health-food store, part Aldi's, due to some of the prices, and part Whole Foods, minus the ambiance.  :)

Our Aldi's is in a nice location, and we shop there with some frequency, but I generally do not buy meat for the cats and dogs there.  Their whole roasts usually have some sort of solution, and it's usually whole roasts I am looking for, due to the cost of feeding eight animals.  Sometimes I will get fresh chicken there, if no one else has a good sale going on. 

I never would have expected to be promoting Walmart, but it is possible to find meat there that doesn't have a lot of additives.  Should you decide to offer cooked pork or overcome your reservations about giving it raw, an easy way to start is with what they call "country style ribs."  They aren't really ribs at all - at least the ones I have gotten are not - because they don't have bones, but they are already partially cut up and generally fairly lean. 

Turkey.  I haven't fed turkey yet.  I want to try it if I can find breasts or whole birds that haven't been adulterated.  The prices they ask here for legs and wings are ridiculous, given the proportion of bone to meat.  Once I've cut the meat off of a leg that cost $3/lb., I'm left with so little that I might as well have gotten them lamb.  Wings are undoubtedly useful as a bony meal for people who feed prey model, or as a treat for pets who love them.  So far, most of mine don't.  :(  Bandit likes bones, but a cut-up Cornish hen would keep him happy for a week, as a "side dish."

The issue of bones brings me to one final question about broth.  I've pretty much decided that deboning whole leg quarters is a major headache, but I will continue to buy them for J and myself, as they are a favorite when cooked on the grill.  My question is, can I save these bones to make the cats' broth?  Seasoning will have been used, obviously, but I cannot imagine that it will have penetrated all the way to the bone. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 04:06:51 AM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2018, 04:46:48 AM »
I wouldn't use bones that have had any kind of seasoning added to the meat when cooked.

I am starting to really think it's turkey and will be eliminating it from Jennie's diet for a while to see. It's too bad because she really loves it, they both do.

The pork I bought was a package of "mixed chops".  They were easy to cut up/remove from the bone.  Still in the freezer unused.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2018, 11:27:46 AM »
Jennie will be having her first raw pork tonight.  The other day she had a nice normal poop, no odor and I thought, well, darn, it must not be the turkey (because she had had turkey breast and thigh the day before).

Then, later that day she had a larger poop that smelled so bad, even though I scooped it immediately the smell hung around for hours.  And the next morning another stinker. That's a lot of poop for a raw fed cat.

Now she is off all turkey, with the exception of turkey skin, because that is the only fat I have for her at the moment.

I was thinking...maybe the skin of turkey won't be an issue since it isn't protein?

Of course I still don't know if turkey is the real issue, but I think so. Next time I shop I'll go back to getting the chicken thigh on the bone, with skin, and use chicken skin.

Jennie will be eating chicken breast, chicken thigh, pork and beef.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2018, 11:34:36 AM »
 fingerscrossed
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2018, 08:52:12 PM »
 fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

Technically, skin is also protein as well as fat.  But I'm sure you're not feeding huge portions of skin so maybe it'll be ok.  You'll find out soon enough.

Crossing paws . . .  fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2018, 10:34:15 AM »
Jennie will be having her first raw pork tonight.  The other day she had a nice normal poop, no odor and I thought, well, darn, it must not be the turkey (because she had had turkey breast and thigh the day before).

Then, later that day she had a larger poop that smelled so bad, even though I scooped it immediately the smell hung around for hours.  And the next morning another stinker. That's a lot of poop for a raw fed cat.

Now she is off all turkey, with the exception of turkey skin, because that is the only fat I have for her at the moment.

I was thinking...maybe the skin of turkey won't be an issue since it isn't protein?

Of course I still don't know if turkey is the real issue, but I think so. Next time I shop I'll go back to getting the chicken thigh on the bone, with skin, and use chicken skin.

Jennie will be eating chicken breast, chicken thigh, pork and beef.

So...how did she like it? 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2018, 01:12:29 PM »
Oh she loves it all, liking it isn't an issue with her. ThxGiv6 <---Jennie  funny2

And they both go crazy over the cooked pork treats (meat picked out of the bone broth and frozen in little bits)

I just can't get over my conditioning that raw pork is dangerous. But I'm working on it.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2018, 09:22:03 PM »

I just can't get over my conditioning that raw pork is dangerous. But I'm working on it.

Doesn't EZ Complete have a cooked version of their stuff?  I could Google... too lazy.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2018, 05:09:47 AM »
Doesn't EZ Complete have a cooked version of their stuff?  I could Google... too lazy.

You mean directions to use it with cooked meat. Yes I know how to do that.  I've considered it.  I don't like to make "batches" is one problem.

But the meat being already weighed out I could just pop a portion in my little pot with the lid before feeding, simmer it a bit.  I have thought of doing it that way. Especially because they really seem to go crazy over the cooked pork.

For anyone curious EZc can be used with cooked meat.  You have to know the weight of the meat raw, and be sure to include all juices when feeding.  The amount of EZc is based on the weight of the meat raw.

Yesterday morning Jennie had a normal poop, no odor.  I celebrated too soon as last night she had a stinker. And then another poop today, not as bad.  What the heck is making her poop so much?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2018, 05:25:05 PM »
I wasn't sure if EZ had a raw and cooked version of their product.  I didn't doubt you could do it.  :)

No idea about the extra pooping...

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2018, 06:12:30 PM »
Jennie had her pork poached tonight.  She went crazy over it.

However she also had another stinky poop.  They look normal..but stink to high heaven, and are way too often for a raw fed cat.

Well she's still getting the turkey skin.  This weekend I'll have to get some chicken thigh so I can get her completely off turkey.

Tags: nutriscan