Author Topic: Probiotics: How To Waste Money On Your Dog  (Read 1870 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Probiotics: How To Waste Money On Your Dog
« on: January 06, 2017, 03:19:59 PM »
Do you give your dog probiotics? If you do, that could be a really good idea. But you could also be wasting your money. Think about this …

Let’s say you go to the pet store and buy a goldfish and a bowl. If you brought the goldfish home, put his bowl in the windowsill and just left him there for a couple of weeks, he’d die right? Now leave him in the bowl for another week or two and you’ll end up with a bowl full of one dead fish plus a bunch of algae and green weedy stuff.

You’ve just wasted a perfectly good fish … and the money you used to buy him.

Now imagine your dog’s gut is the fishbowl and the probiotics in his food are the fish. Just like the little fish in the windowsill, if you don’t feed the fish, they’ll die … and the unwanted watery weeds would take over the bowl.

You’ve just wasted your probiotics … and the money you used to buy them. But don’t worry … read on and you’ll learn how to feed the fish and make sure your dog gets the health-boosting benefits of probiotics!

Continued at: http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/probiotics-how-to-waste-money-on-your-dog/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Probiotics: How To Waste Money On Your Dog
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 08:07:32 PM »
Off to check the probiotic I give Lacy dog and the cats...   
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 08:18:21 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 06:45:28 AM »
Off to check the probiotic I give Lacy dog and the cats...   

thumbsup1 thumbsup1That's the one Mazy cat takes at night.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 07:09:13 AM »
And Dr Becker says:
In my opinion, however, if you feed a balanced, commercial raw diet or prepare balanced homemade meals for your otherwise healthy pet, you don't need to add prebiotics unless your holistic veterinarian specifically recommends them for some reaso

funny2.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2017/01/06/prebiotics-probiotics-pet-food.aspx?utm_source=petsnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20170106Z1&et_cid=DM129998&et_rid=1828367854

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 08:20:04 PM »
Sooooo which is it?  Add probiotics or don't? 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 10:53:11 PM »

Vlad gets them every evening just because I know that prednisone can do a number on gut flora. It's the best I can do for him. Barkly gets them 2x a week since I can no longer give either of them any yogurt due to the potassium content. Vlad can see over the cabinet into the bowls when I'm filling their bowls, and he gets upset if his bowl isn't the same as Barkly's. I'm still thinking about getting some kefir grains and making some water kefir.

The thing that's holding me back is the thought that I can't just pull a pill out of a bottle in the fridge. I have to actually take time to make it. I'm still wondering how easy it would be for me to just give up on it.

http://nourishedkitchen.com/water-kefir/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 07:48:45 AM »

It's not the probiotics that are in question, it's the prebiotics.   Some claim that probiotics are useless unless prebiotics or phages are given.  According to the link I posted last year, Dr Becker says raw fed pets don't need the prebiotics, they get them in their food.

Bacteriophages are also all the rage by some, to boost probiotics.

I tried adding Nutrivee prebiotics but was not happy with the results.  Mazy cat got constipated and Jennie had some loose stool.  I gave them up.

ACV is a preboitic and everyone does well on that so I am satisfied they are getting what they need.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 10:58:26 AM »
It's not the probiotics that are in question, it's the prebiotics. 

I DID read that, after I posted.  I am assuming that is why I give the Proviable DC, at your recommendation. :) 

Tags: