Author Topic: Wild Calling canned  (Read 9884 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Wild Calling canned
« on: May 13, 2013, 12:48:14 AM »
This looks promising for a wet cat/dog food. Lots of different proteins to choose from.  Single protein in each can.
Though the protein says 96%, it still says 9%  for protein which is not very high for canned. Should be around 13% if there is no fillers in it. Anyone seen this food? I saw it today at a Feed store.
It was 1.79$ for a 5.5 oz can. Did not look at the dog food price.

http://wildcalling.com/#!/products/

"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Wild Calling canned
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 01:25:08 AM »
From their FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/WildCalling?fref=ts

Where do you source your ingredients?
Like ·  · March 26 at 3:27pm
View 1 more comment

Wild Calling We source our ingredients in the US with the exception of rabbit and lamb which come from New Zealand!
March 26 at 4:37pm · Like

Their Twitter account doesn't have much info at all in it though:

https://twitter.com/WildCallingPet
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 06:32:57 AM »
Hmm....seems almost too good to be true!  I hate the names though. It's too confusing when they call foods by silly names.  Why can't they just call them chicken and pheasant?

Thanks for the tip Shadow!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 02:51:01 AM »
Thanks Shadow!

The ingredients for the rabbit...sourced from New Zealand:

Rabbit, Water (Sufficient for Processing), Liver, Guar Gum, Brewers Dried Yeast, Taurine, Calcium Sulfate, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate [Source of Vitamin C], Thiamine Mononitrate [Source of Vitamin B1], Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Source of Vitamin B6], Riboflavin Supplement [Source of Vitamin B2], Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Ferric Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodide).
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 09:34:16 PM »
I just ordered the Wild Calling chicken. It's a bit lower in protein than I think it should be, I guess they make up for the lack, in fat (27% DMB) but I am still searching for a brand to add to the rotation of Rad Cat, prey model and By Nature Organic, something that I can give to SK,  that doesn't contain that menadione sodium ingredient (which By Nature Organic does contain).  I bought it from National Pet Pharmacy, setting up an auto ship to get free shipping.  Averages out to 29 cents an ounce which is doable.

Darn, I just thought...I wonder about the carbs.  I doesn't seem that it could be high in carbs, given the ingredients but..I wonder.

Okay, I've filled out a contact form asking for that information.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 10:55:17 PM »
It is a few bucks cheaper from their sister company, PetFoodDirect.com.  I always order enough to get free shipping, no matter who I buy from.  Anyway...I keep considering this brand, but... hate to "rock the boat," by adding in something new.  Not easy finding something that I don't totally hate myself for feeding, AND all the furkids can/want to eat it. 

Maybe I'll try it with the dogs first.  They almost never have any issues.  Of course, there are only two of them.  :) 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 06:24:07 AM »
Thanks Lola, I do see PFD is cheaper right now, and even more so with auto ship, but it wasn't like that when I placed the order. The problem with PFD is, unless they are running a promotion, their shipping is very high and if you choose the auto-ship option to save 15%, you lose the free shipping.

So, what I do, when an auto-ship order is close to being shipped, is shop around to see if there is anything better.  If there is, I postpone the auto-ship, order the sale price, then resume auto-ship later.

The Wild calling came yesterday, I'll open a can on Sunday.

I don't like to rock the boat either, but TC needs some low fat foods (and low carb, goes without saying really), and that Tiki is so expensive, I need something else in her rotation.

Plus, this one is made in USA, so maybe SK and LC will be able to eat it too. I need to find that other thread again, seems like someone confirmed ingredients are USA sources, also.

Being a new food I am not positive about it's quality of course.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 09:56:39 PM »
How are the cans MC? are they rusted or cheap looking? I looked at some in the stores again, they looked awful, and the price went up.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 10:00:38 AM »
Hmmmm...the cans seem very solid, but they are a bit rusty on the top edges.  Not the lid, but the edge of the can.  I did get the information on carbs and source  of ingredients (all USA sourced, nothing from China, so they say), but forgot to check about BPA use in the cans too.  I need to find out about Tiki and BPA too, but their e mail form doesn't work and I hate calling.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 10:10:24 PM »
Reply from Jeremy Petersen, Executive Vice President at Wild Calling:

If you try wiping the rust off it will come off the can in most instances. In no way does it harm the product.

When cans are manufactured the ingredients are cooked in the can via a large steam vat. As a result, the can endures moisture. The cans are dried after they are cooked. Unfortunately, since our cans are manufactured in a climate where it is humid much of the year there can be difficulties getting the can entirely dry. Alternatively, moisture in the truck in transit can create this problem. We are working closely with our entire supply chain to prevent this issue. Our co-packer is in the process of installing new equipment that will dry the cans twice and should better control the issue as well.

The 5.5 oz cat cans are BPA free. The 13 oz cans are not BPA free as there is not currently a US can manufacturer producing BPA free cans. We prefer to source cans in the US rather than overseas.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 11:48:39 PM »
Thanks Lola, I do see PFD is cheaper right now, and even more so with auto ship, but it wasn't like that when I placed the order. The problem with PFD is, unless they are running a promotion, their shipping is very high and if you choose the auto-ship option to save 15%, you lose the free shipping.

So, what I do, when an auto-ship order is close to being shipped, is shop around to see if there is anything better.  If there is, I postpone the auto-ship, order the sale price, then resume auto-ship later.

The Wild calling came yesterday, I'll open a can on Sunday.

I don't like to rock the boat either, but TC needs some low fat foods (and low carb, goes without saying really), and that Tiki is so expensive, I need something else in her rotation.

Plus, this one is made in USA, so maybe SK and LC will be able to eat it too. I need to find that other thread again, seems like someone confirmed ingredients are USA sources, also.

Being a new food I am not positive about it's quality of course.

Keep www.PetFlow.com in mind also.  They don't carry Wild Calling  :(  but ... they are often cheaper than PetFoodDirect and PetPharmacy.  Sometimes a case of something is a few bucks more, but the free shipping (on orders over $49) is what makes them cheaper over-all.  My recent order was $15 cheaper, for all the same items, than my auto-ship order with PetFoodDirect. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 08:53:57 AM »
Good reminder Lola, I do check Pet Flow in my rotation when it's time to order. :)

The Wild Calling chicken is a huge hit so far.  The cats I want it for are SK and LC. It's too high in fat for a regular addition for TC. It's not excessively high, but it's the same as the By Nature Organics, 27% DMB  It is not too high in carbs, 9 % DMB.  That is higher than I like for regular feeding, but as an addition to the rotation once a week on Sundays (their highest raw % day), ...doable, I think.

Pheasant, duck and rabbit are low carb. Something to consider in the future. :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 04:16:09 AM »
The places I checked... rabbit out of stock.  :( 

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 11:42:45 AM »
They jacked the price up so I couldnt buy it if I wanted too anyhow.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 06:45:35 PM »
I'm using one can  week o the wild calling.  sorry bout the typos, broken keyboard, spell check recognizes some things but not ll

Tags: