Author Topic: Hey guess what, Mazy cat is 100% raw!  (Read 6620 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Hey guess what, Mazy cat is 100% raw!
« on: March 13, 2016, 01:08:25 PM »
Completely raw one full week now! She's still regurgitating though, twice this week, but there is a ton of fur.  (another topic)  I've had to cut her back a bit, she was gaining weight!

Mazy cat's diet:

5:30a.m. (give or take a few minutes) Breakfast

.55 Rad Cat chicken

First half contains 1/4 s.boulardii capsule and a tiny bit of pork pancreas glandular (powder, from a capsule) sprinkled over to hide the s.boulardii taste.

Second half (around 6 a.m.) contains a whole capsule of egg yolk lecithin

(this next part is a new schedule)

6:45 am .47 oz Rad Cat turkey with cosequin

That is all. It used to be that at 6:30, and then at 7:15 another .44 RC turkey.  But now she gets that .44 for lunch because I had to cut her back.  Lunch was her last canned meal she was getting.  Now it is gone.

1:30 pm (give or take) Lunch

.44 oz Rad Cat turkey with 1/2 tablet of vets-best (mixed with a little water of course).  Two servings, first serving also has a couple drops of ACV.

4:30-5:30 pm (depending on when I get home from work) Pre-meal

.55 oz chicken breast or chicken thigh and EZcomplete pre-mix
 (chicken is certified organic, verified non-GMO project) The entire meal is split between 3 servings at least 15 minutes   apart. Otherwise she gobbles and brings it right back up. Egg yolk lecithin is added to 2nd serving.

6:45 pm. Supper

1.1 oz of Cornish hen or chicken thigh or chicken breast, and .11 oz liver (all organic non-GMO). This also has to be split between three servings at least 15 minutes apart. Supplements added are egg shell calcium, taurine (both from Alnutrin), 1/4 capsule s.boulardii and the pancreas to cover it.

OR (alternating nights)

1.1 ounce Rad Cat turkey or Rad cat chicken served as above (without the calcium of course)

I try to get her supper finished by 7:45.

I have to alternate the RC meals with the Prey Model meals because I just can't get enough organic non-GMO liver to give her that meal every night, and she doesn't seem to want a full meal with EZcomplete. She's fine with the pre-meal, but doesn't want it again the same night.

9:00 pm.  Bedtime meal

.8 oz Rad cat turkey and Rad Cat chicken.  Since the meals are already portioned these are what is left from the pre-portioned meals of the morning.  1/2 tablet of vet's-best is added to the first serving (with 2 drops of ACV).  The second serving about 15 minutes later has a Proviable DC.

That gives her the necessary 8 hour fast to help her move out the fur.  Really she needs 9 hours I think, but there just aren't enough hours in the day to give her that, except on weekends.  On weekends I aim for 10 hour fasts, and that helps her a lot.

As you can see I have cut her servings from 17 or 18 a day to 13.  That's a big help to me.  I don't anticipate it ever being less than that.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Hey guess what, Mazy cat is 100% raw!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 01:48:18 PM »
tiggerbounce dancingbanana tiggerbounce dancingbanana tiggerbounce dancingbanana tiggerbounce
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 07:01:27 PM »
 coolgif2 tiggerbounce dancingbanana BanWooHoo bananamiddlechild multistars multistars multistars multistars woohoogif woohoogif woohoogif happydance1 happydance1 yaygif yaygif coolgif2 coolgif2 tiggerbounce tiggerbounce dancingbanana dancingbanana dancingbanana BanWooHoo BanWooHoo BanWooHoo bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild

DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy

Here's to hoping that, given time, the mobility issue completely resolves and she no longer regurgitates.   fingerscrossed  You have done WONDERS.  I am in awe.

DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 01:28:48 PM »
Good job... BOTH of you!!!!
What is the total amount that Mazy eats in a 24 hour period?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 04:45:40 PM »
Good job... BOTH of you!!!!
What is the total amount that Mazy eats in a 24 hour period?

Thanks Lola. And Pookie and Dee too.

Well it's still a work in progress.  When she was eating 50/50 canned/Rad cat and went through that period of losing weight she was up to 4.6 ounces total a day.  It was a real challenge to manage to get it all into her each day.

But when I went to 80% raw, I soon realized I was going to have to cut back, and now I am still working it out. 

It's looking like between the Rad Cat, the prey model with liver and egg shell calcium, and the muscle meat and Food Fur Life EZcomplete, she's going to be maintaining at about 4 ounces a day.

Queen Eva is eating MUCH less, now that she is eating more raw, including EZcomplete meals. She's eating about 3.5 ounces a day now,about 2.3-2.8 of that is raw and .7-1.2 of it is canned (depending on whether it's Stella &Chewy night or Prey Model night).  Soon it will be all raw, and then she may drop down to 3.25 oz I think or even 3.

Since Jennie still has the most canned she is still at 3.9 oz a day. I hate that Tiki cat now and if I hadn't just had $200 worth of it delivered last month I wouldn't be feeding it any more.  It is way over rated and way over priced. And the customer service is non existent.

I am preparing myself for the increase in work, when it is gone.  My problem remains, too little freezer space.  I can't stock up on meat because I have no place to put it.  So I have to wait until what I am using is almost gone before I can buy it and cut up more, and I only have room for a few weeks worth of meals, even less when they go all raw.

When I do cut up meat for freezing, often I have to take stuff out of the freezer and put it in the cooler while the cut up meat is freezing, because there is just no space.

I am cutting up two tubs of Rad cat every 10 days right now, for Mazy cat.  I was hoping to be able to cut back on that with the EZcomplete instead, but she doesn't like it enough to eat it two meals in a row. She'll eat it with her pre-meal which is .55 oz of meat and the proportionate EZ. She eats it with great enthusiasm, in fact. But if I use it again for supper meal, she balks at the second and third serving.

I like to give her prey model meals with liver, pancreas and egg shell calcium for supper, but I can't find a regular source of organic non GMO chicken liver.  I get the liver from the giblets package when I buy a Coleman roaster, but I can only roast so many chickens, you know? I save the carcasses for soup, but that takes me right back to no place in the freezer to keep them.

Their morning routine has now changed, because of Mazy cat and Queen Eva's reduced total intake.  They are having some trouble adjusting, they are used to another meal after I get out of the shower, and then Mazy cat had another one after that!

But Queen Eva eats only one meal in the morning now (she started it by consistently refusing her second serving, so that is now her lunch), and with Mazy cat's cut back, her last two breakfast meals have become one for lunch and one for bedtime.

So Jennie is getting her entire breakfast portion all at once, which I think will be good for her, to feel very full all at once, but she's still looking for that second meal anyway.  I know they'll get used to it, but I did get a twinge of guilt this morning as I saw the two of them (Mazy cat and Jennie) waiting in the kitchen for a meal that never came. I told them why, but they held out for a few minutes longer before finally giving up. funny2

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 04:12:19 PM »
Their morning routine has now changed, because of Mazy cat and Queen Eva's reduced total intake.  They are having some trouble adjusting, they are used to another meal after I get out of the shower, and then Mazy cat had another one after that!

But Queen Eva eats only one meal in the morning now (she started it by consistently refusing her second serving, so that is now her lunch), and with Mazy cat's cut back, her last two breakfast meals have become one for lunch and one for bedtime.

So Jennie is getting her entire breakfast portion all at once, which I think will be good for her, to feel very full all at once, but she's still looking for that second meal anyway.  I know they'll get used to it, but I did get a twinge of guilt this morning as I saw the two of them (Mazy cat and Jennie) waiting in the kitchen for a meal that never came. I told them why, but they held out for a few minutes longer before finally giving up. funny2

I'm not sure I can stick it out with the single meal in the morning for Jennie. I know she's getting the same amount, but she doesn't.  With her food anxiety, I think she may really have a problem with not getting that second meal.  On the other hand when she is getting raw for breakfast I would really prefer to just do one meal for her, so much easier.

But she looks so lost and forlorn and anxious as she waits for that next meal that never comes.

I even switched it to after my shower instead of before, because they are used to that meal.  But Jennie can count, and she knows (or thinks she knows) she's being short changed.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 10:26:05 PM »
Maybe split the morning meal in half, so she's getting her two "meals" but the same amount total?   :-\  Do you think that would work, or would she still feel "short-changed?"

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 04:51:00 AM »
Maybe split the morning meal in half, so she's getting her two "meals" but the same amount total?   :-\  Do you think that would work, or would she still feel "short-changed?"

That's the way I've always fed her.  Sorry I wasn't more clear.  I've stopped doing that now because Mazy cat is getting two less meals and Queen Eva is only getting one meal.  So I dropped Jennie to one large meal too.

Before: At about 5:15-5:30 Mazy cat got her premeal in 2 servings (20 minutes apart) the other two are not fed at that time.

Then at 6:30 everybody got a meal. At 7:00 everybody got a meal again, and at 7:30 Mazy cat got her last meal.

Now: the premeal is the same for Mazy cat.  Then everybody gets a meal at either 6:45 (before my shower) or 7:00 (after shower)  And that is all.

I was trying to make life a little easier for my self.  All this feeding and washing of dishes is a lot of work.  I want them of course to have it the best way possible, but I would like to cut down on feedings and washing dishes if I can.  I'm tired!

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 06:02:00 AM »
Jennie is going to win this one.  Maybe she would adjust, but I know she can count and I just can't be the cause of that much anxiety for her.  A compromise is I weigh out the entire meal, give her a small amount at the same time as the other two, then while I am still in the kitchen working (taking out the next day's raw meals) I give her the other half. It has to be.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 10:53:45 AM »
Sounds like a plan!   thumbsup1  I hope it works!   fingerscrossed

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 02:13:42 PM »
Jennie is going to win this one.  Maybe she would adjust, but I know she can count and I just can't be the cause of that much anxiety for her. 

They can count AND tell time!  Our furkids OWN us.   Silly7

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 04:16:05 PM »
Sounds like a plan!   thumbsup1  I hope it works!   fingerscrossed

Thanks Pookie.  Well it's just I've returned to the old system of giving her two smaller meals at breakfast time, instead of one large one. Maybe she would adjust in time, but I've decided she doesn't have to. :)

They can count AND tell time!  Our furkids OWN us.   Silly7

Yep.  HeadButt

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 09:58:23 AM »
Mazy cat is two weeks 100% raw fed.  I am a bit disappointed that her stools are not what I've expected for a raw fed cat.  They are still rather large, relatively speaking, and some odor. 

Probably it is from the psyllium, do you think?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 10:05:06 AM »
I found that the "no odor" is a relative thing. I'd think a better description would be "lower and different odor." But yes, psyllium makes a strange scent no matter what species uses it.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 11:48:46 AM »
Well it's a funny thing, Mazy cat's poop smells the same, no matter what diet she is on.  It smells the same as it did when she was on that horrible c/d crap, as it did when she was ojn canned, and now on raw.  Funny isn't it?

Thanks, Dee.  HeadButt

PS Mazy cat had her first heart today. Just .23 oz of raw )organic etc) heart chopped up and mixed with her Rad Cat turkey for lunch.  bananamiddlechild

Tags: