Author Topic: Hey guess what, Mazy cat is 100% raw!  (Read 6621 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Hey guess what, Mazy cat is 100% raw!
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 09:07:01 PM »
12 days between regurgitation episodes this time.  Hope it stretches to even longer.  I've started her on digestive enzymes now.

Just a pinch to begin with of course. Will work up to 1/4 capsule a day, a small amount in every non EZcomplete meal.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 10:13:51 PM »
 fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2016, 12:44:15 PM »
 thumbsup1
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2016, 06:50:09 PM »
Today I got brave and gave Mazy cat slightly larger than minced pieces of Cornish hen for her second pre-meal serving.  She kept it down.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2016, 07:18:40 PM »
Good to hear!!!!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2016, 07:34:59 PM »
 thumbsup1
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2016, 10:43:44 AM »
So glad after a year of frustration I have finally figured out how to resize picutres on the useless windows 8.1 picture program.  USE PAINT

PS...I am now occasionally giving her .5 oz (half an ounce!) of Rad Cat at a time. I am not going to attempt that with her Meat "chunks" now, but at her third breakfast serving she is getting .5 RC turkey with cosequin, all at once. bananamiddlechild

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2016, 03:39:32 PM »
So glad after a year of frustration I have finally figured out how to resize picutres on the useless windows 8.1 picture program.  USE PAINT

thumbsup1
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2016, 11:18:37 PM »
Mazy looks prettttty content!  :)
I'm happy for you... not only the accomplishment with raw, but the picture resizing.   thumbsup1

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2016, 04:17:48 PM »
Five and a half weeks.  She is like a KITTEN!!!!!! with her activity level. Still no real change in the regurgitation episodes. I think I bypassed a lunch time episode today (7 days since her last).  She ate her first half of her lunch (.22 oz with 1/2 v-b and ACV), but afterward sat crouched with that pinch faced look, and didn't come when I first called her for her second half.  So I put it away and gave her another half a vet's-best with a little water instead.

When I got home from work I gave her the other half of her lunch (3 hours since the first half and the vet's-best) with her s boulardii, a little pork pancreas glandular and a little digestive enzyme (all mixed into .22 oz!) and she ate that, then went down and had a lot of poop.  It's egg yolk night so I sure hope she passed out whatever was bugging her earlier.

And on we go.  But her energy level..WOW.  I mean, Mazy cat has always been active.  But she is REALLY active now.  Mostly she just wants to play with Queen Eva not me.  But last night she instigaed a Game on the stairs that she hasn't played much at all in the past couple of eyars, and in fact, played it for a good 10 minutes before she'd had enough.

She still has a ton of poop though. Jennie is still half canned so I expect her poops to not be small yet, but Queen Eva, also completely raw now for over 2 weeks, is stil having the same poops she's always had.

Mazy cat gets a whole vet's-best every day so I can understand hers, but Queen Eva doesn't  I can only conclude it's the psyllium in the Rad Cat causing them to have larger stools than I would expect on raw.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2016, 08:41:39 PM »

When I got home from work I gave her the other half of her lunch (3 hours since the first half and the vet's-best) with her s boulardii, a little pork pancreas glandular and a little digestive enzyme (all mixed into .22 oz!) and she ate that, then went down and had a lot of poop. 
She still has a ton of poop though.

I can't remember if you ever said what kind of digestive enzymes you're giving her. Does it have Trypsin in it, because that one can be a major factor in how well food is processed. I learned about that in Dr Plechner's book. After that, I changed Vlad's brand of enzymes to one that had Trypsin in it b/c his old ones didn't have it.

This article tells a little about it:

http://drplechner.com/other-factors-that-may-adversely-effect-proper-absorption-of-sards-canine-hormone-supplementation/

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2016, 10:09:24 PM »
 DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy

I am just in AWE over what you've accomplished for all of them, but especially Mazy Cat.

DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2016, 05:19:58 AM »
She puked her breakfast this morning instead.  There is just no way to ...stop it.  The regurgitation is going to come, regardless of what I do to try to avert it. I can't seem to ever learn that lesson.

Thanks for the article Dee.  I read it but seem to have missed why trypsin is important.  I'll try again this afternoon.

Mazy cat is still new to digestive enzymes and is still only getting it one meal a day, well two, counting her EZcomplete meal (the DE already in the mix)

I use the Doctor's Best brand because it is plant based (recommended) and non-GMO.  It does not contain trypsin.

What I DID take from that article was this

Curved front wrists and being cow hocked in the rear comes from the canine’s inability to absorb calcium as a puppy, resulting in lengthen ligaments.

I wonder if that is Queen Eva's problem.  Was she unable to absorb her calcium as a kitten?  She did struggle with malabsorption until I started her on raw at not quite 2 years old.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2016, 09:39:39 AM »
This article might explain the importance of trypsin better:

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/trypsin.aspx

I just know that I found it important enough to change Vlad's enzymes to something with it in it after reading Dr. Plechner's book, since low cortisol can cause a lot of problems with digestion, which was Vlad's problem. When he gets burpy, he's used up his prednisone for the day, and he then also has to have more prednisone to digest his food--or his food starts souring on his stomach. (Talking to some people with Addison's that can actually give feedback about what goes on helped me a lot with figuring this out.)

http://www.amazon.com/Pets-Risk-Allergies-Remedies-Unsuspected/dp/0939165481/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460039346&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=dr+plechner

The ones he had before only had amylase, bromelain and lipase. I changed him to these:

http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-mega-digestive-enzymes-with-pancreatin-10x

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2016, 09:44:16 AM »

Mazy cat is still new to digestive enzymes and is still only getting it one meal a day, well two, counting her EZcomplete meal (the DE already in the mix)

Digestive enzymes are needed at every meal if someone is suffering from any kind of pancreatic insufficiency. Vlad gets them at every meal. The reasoning with him is more than just getting all he needs out of the food, it's to keep his pancreas from getting getting signaled and turned on so that he doesn't develop any pancreatitis again. Dr. Becker and several other integrative/holistic vets are big on digestive enzymes if an animal has had pancreatitis in the past.

Tags: