Author Topic: The FURminator  (Read 3617 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
The FURminator
« on: August 27, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
Another thing I have read about for a very long time, but never came to a decision to buy one or not.   Bumpurr1  Well.... I FINALLY made a decision!  Got it today.  All I can say is WOW... what took me so long?!  lol 

Lilly has "bloomers" that drive me nuts.  Regular brushing didn't do much to improve them at all.  And she gets ticked when I mess with her backend.  (I also trimmed them once.. that may have something to do with her attitude.  ;)  ) 

She had no problem with me using the FURminator!  I knew she had hair, but ...wow does she ever have hair! 

Next time, I will brush her in the outdoor enclosure.  Tooooo much hair flying around, for my allergies to tolerate.  Too much to ask of her, to tolerate the handheld Dyson running while I'm brushing her.   Bumpurr1
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: The FURminator
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 09:11:36 PM »
Something else that works faster than a Furminator--at least I found it did on Barkly: The Shedmonster by Oster. But there's not THAT much difference in them.

But I still, also, like our old rotating-pin undercoat rake for some parts of him.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 12:51:56 AM »
Wilson has bloomers too, will it get rid of them? Wilson has been getting a ton of hairballs lately, I have to figure out how to trim his hair under his chin and his bloomers.  bangshead
How much is the one that you talk of Dee Dee? the Furminator is a little too expensive for my liking.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 08:00:50 AM »
The Shedmonster is about $15 to $20 https://www.google.com/#fp=6da2069b7a32db09&q=shedmonster

You can see a closeup here: http://www.osteranimalcare.com/product.aspx?pid=5330

If you want to know what a  Shedmonster for "long" coats did in 20 minutes to Barkly:

I've also seen what looks like a generic Furminator for about $20 at Walmart (sucks): http://www.petshed.com/item/bamboo-furbuster-dog-de-shedding-tool

All Corgis have "britches" so a lot of work was done on his.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 08:03:02 AM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 11:33:56 AM »
Wow that is a lot of  hair...I will look into it, thanks Dee Dee
PS I love Corgies cause Im Welsh :)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 01:30:14 PM »
The Shedmonster or a.k.a. Oster Shedzilla (look for either b/c same) is the same thing as a stripper tool like I use on Vlad to strip-cheat before trimming what's left.

http://www.groomersmall.com/coat_kings.htm

or my fav b/c is ergonomic (yes, my hands are getting arthritis now) plus is MUCH cheaper:

https://www.petedge.com/zpetedgemain/catalog/productDetail.jsf?sort=TA&wec-appid=PEDM_WEBSHOP_TR&page=72A214C22827430A9795247F1BF064D6&itemKey=005056A633791ED2B59141177A48AFB3&show=12&view=grid&simpleSearchString=stripper&wec-locale=en_US

EXCEPT, the Shedmonster/Shedzilla has the edges blunted for those that aren't used to using sharp tools on dogs the way people with "broken coated" Terriers are.  The cheat-strippers and the stripping-knives are VERY sharp, and if it's not held juuuuust right, you'll cut the dog (not to mention giving yourself carpel-tunnel). They start dreading and fighting grooming then.

Barkly's too much of a wiggle-worm to use my sharp tools on.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:53:43 PM by Shadow »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 03:26:40 PM »
this is what I have at the moment it is supposed to do undercoat
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=15988026&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInCA%2FNo

That looks like it's a rotating-pin-undercoat rake that I told you I have for the old standby. It works pretty good, but not as good as the Shedmonster/Shedzilla which works a bit better on Barkly than the Furminator--both work better than the undercoat rake. My rake was about $5 at petedge.com though. Just a plain blue handle--not prettied up for human appeal. They also make them with double-rows of teeth:

https://www.petedge.com/zpetedgemain/catalog/productDetail.jsf?sort=TA&wec-appid=PEDM_WEBSHOP_TR&page=72A214C22827430A9795247F1BF064D6&itemKey=005056A633791ED2B58649162EB0AFB3&show=12&view=grid&simpleSearchString=undercoat+rake&wec-locale=en_US 

I've never tried a double-row one though.

this is what I use for mats
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIXIE-DE-MATTING-COMB-FOR-CATS-DOGS-/290849207509?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Steamers_Cookers_PP&hash=item43b7f6b4d5

That has the same shape & curve as shedmonster/shedzilla and the stripping tools have. It's just longer and skinnier & looks like it would be easier to sink into mats. The inner curve of the shedmonster/shedillas are still sharp to cut through mats, but the outside isn't so you don't cut their skin. The Shedmonster/Shedzilla offer protection from the human so you can stroke through their coat a lot faster and get the job done faster.

Is this the one you mean that is at Walmart (sucks) (sucks) (sucks)? http://www.Walmart (sucks) (sucks) (sucks).ca/en/ip/dog-deshedder/10067543?trail=SRCH%3Agroomer&fromPLP=true&ancestorID=alldept&searchString=groomer&moduleName=S0011&startSearch=yes&fromSearchBox=true&addFacet=SRCH%3Agroomer

That's a WAHL brand, but it's essentially another generic Furminator--BUT, and this is a BIG BUT, the Furminator and Bamboo brands have a little button on them.

I can't figure out how you replace blades in that WAHL one...the BAMBOO I have & the Furminator do--this is a release button

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 03:29:26 PM by DeeDee »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 04:06:49 PM »
I forgot...that FURminator has one thing that the generics don't have...you can push their button and it pushes hair off. But I found a trick to that if you need to keep one hand on the dog...just flip the blade over and brush the back of it across the dog. The hair comes off like that too.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
New FURminator item for Lola
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 04:15:29 PM »
BOL...was looking through dog videos and I guess when I Googled "generic furminator" it caused this to come up in the right side:

Think you could get away with this since you already have a FURminator?

That almost makes me want to buy the real thing just for winter!!!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 08:34:21 PM »
I do have to say, the WORST thing about the Furminator is the flying hair.  UGH.  That accessory looks like a VERY good idea... if the vacuum doesn't scare the carp out of the fur kids! 

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: