Author Topic: Pretty Litter  (Read 2367 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Pretty Litter
« on: April 27, 2018, 12:42:32 PM »
Whatever you may think of the actual litter, it's an interesting concept.  Be advised you may get some pop-ups (even with the blocker) when you go to the site:

https://prettylittercats.com/

It keeps tabs on your cat's health by changing color.
Cats are notorious for hiding illnesses, so it's often hard to tell if they are sick or in pain. PrettyLitter makes it easier for you to know if your cat is experiencing a potential health issue before urgent medical care is needed, saving you money, stress and potentially your cat's life. Potential health issues that can be associated with color change include:

ALKALINE
Certain types of urinary tract infections. High urinary pH can lead to bladder crystal and stone formation.
ACIDITY
Metabolic acidosis & kidney tubular acidosis. Low urinary pH can lead to Calcium Oxalate.
BLOOD
Bladder inflammation, bladder Stones, urinary tract infection.

FAQ page:  https://prettylittercats.com/pages/frequently-asked-questions

What are PrettyLitter's ingredients?

PrettyLitter is manufactured in one of the world's largest and most trusted kitty litter plants sourcing its own silica microgels using carefully selected mineral sources. In addition, our manufacturing facility uses the highest quality controls and leaves a low carbon footprint. PrettyLitter's microgels are a translucent, micro-pored structure created from silica, a naturally occurring mineral. The silica gels are additionally dried and screened, creating a highly efficient and clean absorbent. Our patented health indicators are distributed at an exact ratio within the litter to test for acidity, alkalinity, and allowing for the visible detection of blood in the urine.

Is PrettyLitter safe for my cat?

Pretty Litter is feline-safe. The litter is not absorbed by the bowel, does not swell in the presence of humidity and poses no risk in blocking the digestive tract. In contact with water and gastric fluid it will become a very fine powder and will be eliminated naturally. Even in cases of involuntary ingestion, Pretty Litter presents no danger and is safe.

At a quick glance, I do think the site should focus more on the detecting-health-issues instead of the shipping.  You have to scroll down a ways to get to the health part -- the top is focusing on shipping and convenience.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Pretty Litter
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 01:09:47 PM »
I don't like these kinds of things.  There s no proof they work and people may have a false sense of security.  The cat may be in agony and the owner is like "oh the litter isn't showing anything he must be fine".

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 03:38:36 PM »
It MIGHT just be me, but I couldn't find info about the actual litter... thanks for quoting!

I don't think it is a bad idea at all.  Because cats do hide illness, until things are often out of control...  a possible heads up is a good thing. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 04:02:37 PM »
It MIGHT just be me, but I couldn't find info about the actual litter... thanks for quoting!

I don't think it is a bad idea at all.  Because cats do hide illness, until things are often out of control...  a possible heads up is a good thing. 

Only if it actually works. You know those urine pH test strips aren't always all that accurate, so what's going to make this litter any more so?

And people are lazy.  They will rely on the litter and ignore symptoms, if the litter isn't showing anything. Paying attention to litter box habits will show if a cat is having a problem, before the cat shows actual symptoms.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 06:23:06 PM »
Sorry for sounding so grouchy before.  It just seems to me like people are always looking for new ways to ignore their cats. Or rather, manufacturers are looking for new ways to make a profit off of things that help people ignore their cats.

IF this litter was actually reliable, it should, in my opinion be used, by prescription only, available through the vet in other words, for cats already known to have problems. And expensive enough so it would be used ONLY for testing to see if the cat was still okay.

That is just my cynical opinion of course. Silly7

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 10:05:51 PM »
A little more info on why this guy developed this litter (his company is a start-up):

https://hackernoon.com/https-medium-com-healthycat-this-harvard-grad-ditched-politics-to-launch-a-pet-wellness-startup-3156ffc4b023

... one of the animals he was most drawn to was cats. “North of 75% of cat owners are women, but I’m a guy who loves cats,” says Daniel. “I had my cat Gingi, who I adored, since I was a teenager.” When Gingi died of a feline illness, Daniel was devastated. The loss was especially rattling because he didn’t know Gingi was sick until it was too late for effective treatment.

Now Daniel is dedicated to bringing life-saving health detection systems into every cat’s home so no pet parent has to go through the same tragedy.

The Ultimate Goal
“The experience of what I went through with Gingi showing me she was sick only once it was too late is a common one for many cat owners. Early detection systems like PrettyLitter that can alert pet parents before cats show any symptoms behaviorally can be a lifesaver. I want to help cat-parents catch these illnesses early on so they can do something to help their pets,” says Daniel.

“Feline wellness. It’s a real thing. You can’t just rely on your cat to tell you what’s wrong. A good cat owner is going to be proactive because by the time you see something in your cat, it may already be too late. Regular wellness checks (every 6 months), active care, and using proactive measures like PrettyLitter as a tool to stay on top of your cat’s health can save lives, save financial burdens, and save the emotional heartache,” says Daniel.

With all due respect, I personally have a huge objection to vets "prescribing" kitty litter.  It's bad enough that they "prescribe" pet food.  Just my  2cents
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 07:07:53 AM »
Oh well.    I think it's pure bs. Closed minded of me I guess.

And what about the fact that the cat is being exposed to these "illness detectors" every time the cat gets in the box?  We all know that cats ingest litter and breathe the dust of it.  Would you feed your cat litmus paper? Do you want your cat exposed to these chemicals three or four times a day, every day?

I wouldn't.

Not much of an answer is it:

What are PrettyLitter's ingredients?

PrettyLitter is manufactured in one of the world's largest and most trusted kitty litter plants sourcing its own silica microgels using carefully selected mineral sources. In addition, our manufacturing facility uses the highest quality controls and leaves a low carbon footprint. PrettyLitter's microgels are a translucent, micro-pored structure created from silica, a naturally occurring mineral. The silica gels are additionally dried and screened, creating a highly efficient and clean absorbent. Our patented health indicators are distributed at an exact ratio within the litter to test for acidity, alkalinity, and allowing for the visible detection of blood in the urine.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 10:38:38 AM »
I'll just say... if Precious Cat came out with their version of it... I would be all over it! 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 10:44:06 AM »
Well you can buy the additive instead if you want to go that route. :)

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Health-Monthly-Monitor-Crystal/dp/B00AYT9ZXK

Tags: