Author Topic: Does this look legit?  (Read 5070 times)

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
Does this look legit?
« on: January 08, 2013, 03:12:08 AM »
I have been looking for quite a long time for an accredited program where I could actually get a degree or certification in feline nutrition or companion animal nutrition. However, I do not want to spend a lot of time and money on something that isn't legitimate.

I have found this and this

Opinions anyone?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Does this look legit?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:14:59 AM »
Just scanning the info....the second one seems a bit hokey:
"Certification is the public's assurance that you have met rigorous, peer-developed & reviewed standards endorsed by an international professional body. Certification is important for internal professional recognition, external verification, & accountability."

The above statement sounds (to me) like a person can blow smoke, by telling another they have certification.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:17:18 AM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 11:30:11 AM »
I've seen the one for Americal Council of Animal Naturopathy before, and am considering it.  As for the first link you posted, I checked the Better Business Bureau and found no complaints. 
http://www.bbb.org/new-jersey/business-reviews/schools-business-and-vocational/academy-of-natural-health-sciences-in-woodbridge-nj-16001695

Here is some information on that Academy's Director:

http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Auriemma_Frank_1517747923.aspx

Does this help at all?
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 09:48:53 PM »
That is actually very helpful; thank you.

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 11:06:34 PM »
I am leaning toward the first link posted because it is an actual academy and there is an option for CLASSROOM classes, which indicates to me that is an actually facility, whereas with the second site posted, it specifically states that it is NOT a college. I just don't know if Clinical Pet Nutritionist is a title that actually amounts to anything, if you know what I mean.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 11:32:05 PM »
I am leaning toward the first link posted because it is an actual academy and there is an option for CLASSROOM classes, which indicates to me that is an actually facility, whereas with the second site posted, it specifically states that it is NOT a college. I just don't know if Clinical Pet Nutritionist is a title that actually amounts to anything, if you know what I mean.

Think about SOME of those that have DVM after their names... and prescribe RX dry garbage food.   >:D

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 12:02:10 AM »
So thats a "no" then  :D

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 12:09:24 AM »
So thats a "no" then  :D

Noooooo that is a yes.  I would be more apt to give a Clinical Pet Nutritionist the benefit of the doubt, over a vet.  :D 

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 12:21:17 AM »
That was a joke, based on the rx crap food comment. I should have used more than just a smiley to clarify, sorry.

C.P.N. sounds good. I think I am going to do a lilttle more research, but it looks like the better of the two, for now. I also want to complete the Feline Nutrition Education Society's certification program, when they actually get it completed.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 02:05:09 AM »
I thought you didnt understand MY sarcasm...was afraid I offended you.  We are good.  :)

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 11:48:05 AM »
I ultimately decided not to go with either of the previous courses because neither of the certificates would come from accredited institutions and I was told they wouldn't be worth the paper they are printed on. I was very disappointed. Then I found these:

http://nctm.com.au/courses/animal-studies/certificate-small-animal-nutrition.html
http://distance.ncsu.edu/programs/university-certificate-in-animal-nutrition

Neither one is exactly what I was looking for, but both are actually accredited institutions, and I really want this. I may have to take what I can get. What do you guys think? Which one should I complete, or should I do both?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 03:47:46 PM »
Thanks for posting those, Amber!  I'd wanted to do one of the other 2 that you'd posted a while back, but finances and time just didn't permit.  What I like about the NCTM one is that they tell you some of the books that you'll need.

My only possible concern about the NCSU one is, do they get any kind of funding (e.g. grants) from the PFI?  I only took a quick look, but I couldn't tell if the courses would be the same quality as what vets students get (she said sarcastically) or if they'd actually teach what out pets SHOULD be eating.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 04:32:14 PM »
The NCSU one doesn't qualify for FAFSA because if you are a non-degree student you can't take more than 6 hours at a time, and if you are degree student you can't take the certification. Since out of state tuition is almost 6000 dollars for this program, that makes it out of my range. I emailed the school about it and they said it was campus wide policy and also said this:
I also want to point out that this is not a small animal nutrition certification. It is an undergraduate certificate in animal nutrition. There is a companion animal course to take - but it deals with different species, breeds, diseases and of course, nutrition. There are two nutrition courses to choose from at the lower level - ANS 225 or ANS 230, and while ANS 225 would likely have a bit more of a focus on companion animals, they are both designed for general animal nutrition -primarily livestock species. The 400 level comparative nutrition course also covers nutrition for all species.

Also - what you receive is a certificate - but not a certification that grants you something along the lines of being a registered dietician. Of course, there isn't actually anything equivalent to that designation in the animal nutrition world, but if you're looking to consult with owners about feed you'll have a difficult time competing with veterinarians who do the same (this is based on my personal knowledge of the animal nutrition field). I do feel the program is helpful for those who are looking to move into the area and work for a feed company or have a better understanding for their own animals or those they work with.

I just don't want you to come into this with the wrong expectation.

The NTCM one is based in australia and doesn't look very... complete.

If I have to pay for this completely out of pocket, I may go for the first one in my OP. That way I can take the feline nutrition certification first, and if I decide it is hokey, I am only out 300 dollars instead of thousands.

I would be doing this because I want to increase my own knowledge base, not because I plan on going into practice or anything, so I guess I don't really need an official degree, though it would be nice if there was a single accredited program that could be taken online.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 02:15:12 PM »
I think Auntie Crazy took a course in nutrition.  Why don't you shoot her a PM and ask...I don't think she would mind.   http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?action=profile;u=110

Even though she hasn't been around lately, the PM will go to her email. 

Tags: