Author Topic: Mazy's diet  (Read 3187 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Mazy's diet
« on: December 06, 2014, 09:33:45 AM »
Morning:  1.5 ounces, six servings over 2 hours (used to be 2 1/2 hours). Supplements in servings, consecutively: S.boulardii (canned food)*, egg yolk lecithin (canned), none (Rad Cat raw), d-mannose (on  pulse)(RC), none (RC), none (RC). (Jennie and Queen Eva eat twice)

*There is a pee break between first and second serving and the servings are spaced 10 minutes apart. If she poops too, I add 10 minutes to the waiting time, making it 20 minutes.  I never feed her after she has just pooped, no matter what time of day.  Guaranteed to bring on regurgitation.*

Six hour span

Lunch:  .4 ounces canned, two servings 15 minutes apart. SEB mixed in the whole meal, ACV in the first serving. (Jennie and Queen Eva eat once)

Evening:

Premeal when I get home from work:  .45 oz (canned), two servings 5-10 minutes apart*.  EYL in second serving. (Jennie and Queen Eva do not eat)

*Pee break. See above*

One to one and a half hours later:

.6 oz canned, three servings. First two servings, five minutes apart.  Third 10-15 minutes later.  No supplements in any serving. What this means is .6 oz in less than half an hour! bananamiddlechild (Jennie and Queen Eva eat twice)

45 minutes after the .6 meal: .23 oz Rad Cat, d-mannose (on pulse) (Jennie and Queen Eva do not eat)

One hour later: .5 oz canned, two servings.  ProViable in the first serving. (Jennie and Queen Eva eat once)

Bed time.

Two and a half to three hours after the last meal (and subsequent bed time): .3 oz canned, two servings.  *1/4 tablet* Vet's-Best in the whole meal, 2 drops ACV in the first serving. (Jennie and Queen Eva do not eat)

*1/4 tablet in low shed months, 1/2 tablet in high shed months*

Five hours later.

Morning again. :)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
Re: Mazy's diet
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 09:46:01 AM »
 love1

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 09:48:29 AM »
Did I post this one already?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 12:36:30 PM »
She's really beautiful!

I'm wondering something though, you said:

I never feed her after she has just pooped, no matter what time of day.  Guaranteed to bring on regurgitation.*

I'm wondering if pooping requires a lot of straining and that causes her stomach muscles to be all tightened up and sensitive to the food touching her stomach then?

And IF that is true, does it mean she's not getting enough water even though she's not fed dry :-X?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 01:55:28 PM »
Dee, she doesn't strain excessively when pooping, but she does need time for her muscles to settle.  I think it has something to do with her poor motility.  Everything inside just works more slowly, for her.

Her diet is about 80-85 percent moisture, food and added water included.

If she coughs I wait, also.  Not that she coughs often, but now and then she'll get some fur stuck in her throat and cough a bit. Even if I was about to feed, I wait, after that, and after waiting, will first give her a very small amount of food with a little vet's-best in it to soothe things down before the real meal.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 02:26:58 PM »
OH MY GOSH... that first picture is STUNNING!!!  Do you know anyone talented with PhotoShop... to blur the background? 

(I'm not even going to try to process your feeding schedule....)  ;) 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 04:20:27 PM »
Well you have to keep in mind that this is an evolution in progress. I didn't just wake up one day and start feeding her this way.  It's what has evolved given what I've learned about her needs over the past three years.

And it is subject to change.  For instance I only recently introduced the evening Rad Cat meal again.  I tried it last year but for some reason she wouldn't keep it down.  This year I added it again, but in a different slot of the schedule.  And it's working. :)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 06:57:43 PM »
There is a method to my madness also. I do not deny that feeding this way is a lot of work and I am very tired and sometimes whine (to myself) a lot.

So here's how I make it easier.

In the evening I prepare in advance certain meals of Mazy's for the next day. Put in one dish marked by which serving with a finger poke. These are two of her premeals (first thing in the morning, home from work) and one other.

In the morning, before I leave for work I prepare their lunches.  Weighed out and each dish put into individual labeled containers. At lunch all I have to do is take them out warm them up and feed.

Also in the morning I take out the next day's raw portions, and the current evening's small rad cat meal for Mazy cat.

At supper time I prepare their final bedtime meals in the same way I do their lunch meals, so I can have my hour of reading on the couch, then just get up, take the dishes and feed them.

Mazy's middle of the night meal is also made ready at that time, and the aforementioned meals of Mazy's for the next day.

So pictures below show

1) Three meals of Mazy's marked for certain times the following day

2) a stack of prepared meals (this could be lunch or bed time meal stack)

3) in my fridge you see the container with Mazy's next day pre-meals, plus her middle of the night meal.  Behind them you can see the stack of glass containers holding tomorrow's raw meals.

4) canned food is removed from the can and stored in glass pyrex containers, different colored lids indicate different brands.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 08:48:39 PM »
My head hurts.   Silly7  Bless your heart, she is lucky to have such a dedicated and loving Mommy!   DrLisaPiersonWorthy
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 08:49:35 AM »
Thanks for looking, all.  I'm not sure what my purpose was here.  I just sat down at the computer and started writing it out for some reason, and I was surprised to discover I could write it all down without referring to the Cat Journal even once.

I don't deny that it is a lot of work, but at the same time..it's just a way of life now, you know?  It's what happens any time you have a pet with special needs I think.

I mean, I'm no stranger to this kind of schedule, first there was Bibbs with her sinus cancer, I had to make sure I could come home every few hours, and get up in the night, to steam her and wipe the mucus off her face so she didn't suffocate.  My biggest fear was that I would come home and find her dead, suffocated in her own snot.

Then there was Ootay with her CKD, megacolon, stroke, arthritis....in her last couple of years she couldn't go more than a few hours without eating, plus of course I worried she would have another stroke, right after I left the house, and have to suffer for hours until I got home again.  Fortunately all three strokes happened in the wee hours of the morning.

And there was Tolly with his seizure disorder.  12 years of my life was wrapped around his needs.

I get tired, indeed I do. But the care of them is just a way of life.  Even if I didn't have them, would I be going out every night?  I highly doubt it, LOL.  I'd have a lot more money though.  funny2

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 12:03:54 PM »
Preparing ahead is a good plan!  I like the finger pokes.  :)

I was surprised to discover I could write it all down without referring to the Cat Journal even once.
   ::)  *

Your other stories... made me tear up... for them and you being so awesome!

*My attempt at humor.

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: