Author Topic: Diabetes Mellitus in Felines -The Ever-Growing Epidemic  (Read 2286 times)

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Diabetes Mellitus in Felines -The Ever-Growing Epidemic
« on: June 24, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »
With Diabetes Mellitus becoming even more common in cats, most people don't realise just how easily preventable the majority of cases are.

From too many carbohydrates burning out the Pancreas, to Steroids and other medications triggering.  If the cats were fed a species-appropriate diet to begin with, odds are that the cat would have never suffered the ailment(s) and/or been injected with the Meds in the first place.

If you have a diabetic cat  -- or don't, and want to take the steps to prevent it -- www.diabeticcatcare.com is a community which follows Dr. Elizabeth Hodgkins' protocol. This protocol has been the most successful in getting cats into remission.  You can read about it here:  http://www.diabeticcatcare.com/protocol

And gotta love proof!  See a sampling of success stories  http://www.diabeticcatcare.com/feline-diabetes/success-stories

This book by Dr. Hodgkins is considered the Bible of Cat Parents by many respected veterinarians and scores of cat owners who have gotten their cats into remission:
http://www.amazon.com/Your-Cat-Simple-Secrets-Stronger/product-reviews/0312358016/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_5?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addFiveStar

The Doctor wrote this book for the benefit of her Diabetic Cat forum as the same questions were being asked over and over as more people were finding the site. The Doctor did not write this book to profit in any way whatsoever therefore, although scant (if/when any), any proceeds from the book go to cat welfare organisations.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 08:46:23 AM by Bogie, Reason: title visibility »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: The Ever-Growing Epidemic - Diabetes Mellitus in Felines
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 09:53:27 AM »
I do worry about diabetes with my FLUTD kitty, because she eats the c/d kibble.  She won't eat the c/d canned.  When I put her on other canned diets (most recent try was Merrick Before Grain) the struvite crystals come back.

So I have her urine and blood tested annually and make sure she gets plenty of exercise and keeps a healthy weight. I've dealt with many chronic illnesses but not diabetes.  She is 7.

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 11:25:37 AM »
What's her name?  <^..^>

The great thing, MC, is that there are so many who are/were in the very same boat as you and to ease the worry and get your ducks in a row, maybe you want to say "Hi"  and hear their first-hand experiences for peace of mind. Or peek at the Doctor's book.  They are not "militant" and intolerant, they've all been there and I'm sure talk about the crystals as it is the most common thing, and share Dr. Hodgkins' expertise as well as their own experiences.  :)   

I know you love and trust your vet but, just as yours may know something which another may not, there are others who may likewise be "on" to things a little further, as it is their specialty, IMO it wouldn't hurt to at least hear other experiences which have worked for the entire cat, not just one thing or another.  thumbsup1

More and more Veterianrians are seeing this Doctor's seminars in person at the Conventions and thus looking into things further and even adjusting things at their own practices accordingly (ex:phasing out the food :) 

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 11:32:28 AM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 11:53:04 AM »
Thanks for your encouragement.  I will take some time to read over the information, instead of shrugging and saying "I've already tried everything, what else is there to do" which is what my tendency is, with my FLUTD kitty. :-[

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 04:11:58 PM »
Thanks for your encouragement.  I will take some time to read over the information, instead of shrugging and saying "I've already tried everything, what else is there to do" which is what my tendency is, with my FLUTD kitty. :-[

It is "easy" (and understandable) to just keep rolling along, when things are going smoothly...who wants to rock the boat?  Who wants the headache? All the carp going on with and within the pet food industry... bangsheadgif

With our Leonard's first blockage, I changed to a "quality" dry and wet food.  After the second blockage, my regular vet recommended an all wet diet.  (Just to answer those that are wondering...No, the vet did not recommend prescription food.) 
Leonard did slowly lose weight, but the non-fatties maintained their weight.  At one time, Leonard weighed 26/27 pounds.  He IS a big boy, but his ideal weight is 19/20.  He's maintained that for a while now.  Because we are still jerking around with brands of wet food...I weigh all the felines once a week. 
The point of all my rambling is...not only were there blockage issues, we were probably one step away from diabetes as well. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Re: Diabetes Mellitus in Felines - The Ever-Growing Epidemic
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 01:28:37 PM »
bumping this important thread up!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 08:49:15 AM by Bogie, Reason: title visibility »
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Tags: