Author Topic: Had to induce vomiting. Now what?  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Had to induce vomiting. Now what?
« on: July 12, 2011, 01:03:22 PM »
I admit it, I'm an idiot.   bonkhead  I KNOW Pookie is a stringeater, but I'd left a 2" tail on a toy mouse and this morning he ate it.   :o  I was able to get him to throw it back up (and it was all in 1 piece), but I'm wondering if there's anything I need to do now to make sure his tummy is calm to make sure he keeps down dinner later.  I already called the vet and they didn't have any advice.

Maybe I'm just being a worry-wart, but I'd appreciate any advice.  P.S.  I already cut the tail off of the only other toy mouse that still had one.

Thanks in advance!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
Re: Had to induce vomiting. Now what?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 01:17:42 PM »
Stupid tails!  throwfit

I can't think of anything you can do, but I think Pookie will be okay for dinner later  eat1

cat3

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 01:19:14 PM »
If I had to pull a guess out of my rear...I'd say Pookie will be okay, since he threw it back up.  

Our plastic eater, tosses it back up, and seems to do just fine.  Why don't they learn to stay away from the things that make them throw up?  I can't remember the last time I WANTED to throw up.  
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 01:29:22 PM »
He didn't WANT to throw it up, but I made him (hydrogen peroxide).  And I saw him chomping on the toy but I didn't realize he ate the tail until it was too late.   bangsheadgif  

What makes it worse is I know better and he had to pay for it.  AUGH!

I just was wondering if maybe I should give him some pepcid before dinner to make sure his tummy is calm.  Thoughts?

P.S.  Every now and then he smacks his lips, which is why I'm a little nervous.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:34:21 PM by Pookie »

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 05:07:38 PM »
This happened to Shadow a long time ago, piece of string, so I gave her Hydrogen peroxide to throw it up, I couldnt pull on it, that is dangerous, so I cut it off as close as I could to her mouth.  I dont think she had much in her, phew!!!  I just bought a new toy mouse today on a string and stick , they love it. but I hope the tail is big enough that they wont try and eat it.
Im sure Pookie will be ok, dont worry :)
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 05:10:05 PM »
He didn't WANT to throw it up, but I made him (hydrogen peroxide).  And I saw him chomping on the toy but I didn't realize he ate the tail until it was too late.   bangsheadgif  

What makes it worse is I know better and he had to pay for it.  AUGH!

I just was wondering if maybe I should give him some pepcid before dinner to make sure his tummy is calm.  Thoughts?

P.S.  Every now and then he smacks his lips, which is why I'm a little nervous.

I just assumed you stuck your finger down his throat.  Kidding! What made you think to use hydrogen peroxide?  Just curious, because I didn't know that hydrogen peroxide could be used to induce vomiting in cats.  NOT judging either (in case I "sound" that way).

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 05:13:50 PM »
You're not an idiot Pookie!!!

20+ years ago, I bet nothing gets that tail off that toy but I digress  :-[

Let us know how Pookie eats tonight.  I bet she's just fine.  :) You have the peace of mind that you got it all so that should minimise suspense.  thumbsup1

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 07:50:13 AM »
I've heard of using peroxide to induce voimiting~ thankfully I have never had to use it.

Purrs for Pookie, let us know how he is  grouphug

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 10:55:12 AM »
Thanks, all!  He was fine.  (I was a wreck, but he was fine).  I couldn't bring myself to wait until dinner, so around 3p ET I gave him a TINY amount of Weruva (he loves that stuff).  No problem.  I waited about 40 min and gave him a little more, and kept doing that until his normal dinner time when he got his "regular" canned.  (Part of my guilt was that in barfing the tail, he also barfed up his breakfast, poor kitty).  He was fine all night and doing well this morning.  WHEW!

To answer your question, Lola, I have a vet's handbook for cats that advises to give 1 tsp of 3% hydrogen peroxide for every 5 lbs bodyweight to induce vomiting, but not to exceed 3 tsp.  Since I was in panic mode, I used an actual teaspoon and probably didn't get enough in him in the beginning, but when I called the vet she suggested a turkey baster (LOL).  I can do better than that -- I have syringes for when the kitties were on medicine, so that did the trick.

This is probably TMI, but a co-worker told me about this a couple years ago when her dog ate a bunch of chocolate.  A friend of hers had done it and warned her to do it outside because it works fast, and it worked for the dog like in 5 minutes.  I tried to do this in the bathtub but I think that kind of freaked Pookie out, so I let him wander around his usual areas and resigned myself to carpet cleaning duty.

On the bright side, at least I was home and saw him do it.  Sigh . . .

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 01:34:19 PM »
Thanks, all!  He was fine.  (I was a wreck, but he was fine).  I couldn't bring myself to wait until dinner, so around 3p ET I gave him a TINY amount of Weruva (he loves that stuff).  No problem.  I waited about 40 min and gave him a little more, and kept doing that until his normal dinner time when he got his "regular" canned.  (Part of my guilt was that in barfing the tail, he also barfed up his breakfast, poor kitty).  He was fine all night and doing well this morning.  WHEW!

To answer your question, Lola, I have a vet's handbook for cats that advises to give 1 tsp of 3% hydrogen peroxide for every 5 lbs bodyweight to induce vomiting, but not to exceed 3 tsp.  Since I was in panic mode, I used an actual teaspoon and probably didn't get enough in him in the beginning, but when I called the vet she suggested a turkey baster (LOL).  I can do better than that -- I have syringes for when the kitties were on medicine, so that did the trick.

This is probably TMI, but a co-worker told me about this a couple years ago when her dog ate a bunch of chocolate.  A friend of hers had done it and warned her to do it outside because it works fast, and it worked for the dog like in 5 minutes.  I tried to do this in the bathtub but I think that kind of freaked Pookie out, so I let him wander around his usual areas and resigned myself to carpet cleaning duty.

On the bright side, at least I was home and saw him do it.  Sigh . . .

Thanks for the info on the use of hydrogen peroxide, Pookie! 
I probably would have done the same as you...let kitty do his/her thing where ever.  Just about anything can be cleaned. 
Glad all turned out well.   thumbsup1

Tags: