Author Topic: Mazy cat's arthritis  (Read 50055 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Mazy cat's arthritis
« Reply #165 on: August 11, 2017, 05:42:11 AM »
It's awful isn't it?  I was so shocked when I first felt them! The one on her back that I thought came back, I think now maybe I just hadn't gotten it all. Because it's been clear and smooth since that last effort.

I also realized after all the screaming that I'd used Queen Eva's comb, not Mazy cat's and that was probably the main cause of her upset. I mean she hates it, certainly, but never yelled like that before.  All three combs are the same, but she knows which one is hers, their sense of smell is so strong.

I haven't checked her ruff again yet.  It's so heavy and thick and the mats were very deep. She's gotten suspicious and doesn't want me drubbing there lately.  Cant' say I blame her.  But I am talking to her about this every day, telling her how much the mats will hurt her if she doesn't let me keep after them.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #166 on: August 11, 2017, 10:17:55 AM »
The only reason I can figure out for mats like this in those places is that their wallowing around causes movement in the undercoats and that twists the fur.

I know I've seen cats doing that same kind of rubbing movements that Barkly does out in the yard.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #167 on: August 11, 2017, 01:02:19 PM »
Mazy cat does rub her face, marking, all over the place, but it's her cheeks she's rubbing, not the ruff around her neck. Her ruff has gotten so thick!

However, she does a lot of rolling and spinning, which could twist the fur on her back, like you suggest, and that may be just that one spot on her spine she cat quite reach any more.  It has that weird flakiness too, which she has no where else.

A few flakes this morning, but not twisted or rough fur.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #168 on: August 13, 2017, 03:45:44 PM »

All I can say is ... thank GOODNESS Mazy has you.  You never give up.   DrLisaPiersonWorthy
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #169 on: August 13, 2017, 04:34:59 PM »
Aw, thanks Lola.  Earlier today I was reading through this whole thread.  Funny how quickly you forget things...like how bad off she was last year in September, and how she quickly got much much worse.  And I enjoyed reading about all the tiny improvements as they came on.

My gosh...I can't imagine what I would have had to put her through if it weren't for the GLM.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #170 on: August 15, 2017, 10:06:40 AM »
This thread has been a good thing then!  When you feel poopy about SO much going on with Mazy...you can read that SO much as also improved.  :)
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #171 on: September 01, 2017, 09:30:22 AM »
Yes, Lola, I like very much having threads to come back to.  This forum is my life line in many ways.

Mazy cat is allowing combing of her back!  When she is on my chest, kneading her shoulder pillow.  Sometimes she will only allow 2 or 3 strokes but last night I got 10!

That mat prone area is staying smooth with the nightly strokes but it still dandruffy.

May cat has the strangest fur I've ever seen.  I've been noticing how different it looks pulled out of the comb compared to Jennie's and Queen Eva's.  I've taken some pictures and mean to start a new thread about it.  Hopefully today.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #172 on: October 05, 2017, 05:04:50 AM »
Mazy cat is still allowing me to comb her back, just a few strokes every night, and this has kept the mat away.

I am so thrilled that when it's gotten cooler she has not stiffened up at all. Relieved. Glad I followed the advice of you all and kept her on the full GLM dose.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #173 on: November 04, 2017, 10:04:49 AM »
Mazy cat does seem to be stiffening up a tiny bit, but not too much. Time to get the warmth reflecting liners out for all her various box beds.

Queen Eva has gotten a bit rough, and has had to be reminded to be gentle with Mazy cat.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #174 on: January 07, 2018, 05:30:34 PM »
Mazy cat is a lean playing machine.  She is what I would call highly active, almost every night.  Now and then she does take a night off.  Leaps, butt wiggle pounces,  multilevel jumps, somersaults, climbing, running, and this new thing..using Queen Eva's tunnel in her interactive Games.

All this, with (suspected) IBD, and arthritis, at almost 14 years old.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #175 on: January 07, 2018, 08:34:42 PM »
Mazy cat is a lean playing machine.  She is what I would call highly active, almost every night.  Now and then she does take a night off.  Leaps, butt wiggle pounces,  multilevel jumps, somersaults, climbing, running, and this new thing..using Queen Eva's tunnel in her interactive Games.

All this, with (suspected) IBD, and arthritis, at almost 14 years old.

multistars multistars multistars

I'm so glad she's feeling so good!  And I'm REALLY glad you found the green-lipped mussel.  I'm sure that's made a HUGE difference for her, especially with this winter being SO cold.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #176 on: January 08, 2018, 01:10:23 PM »
Lola statue.  Tell Mazy to get to doing the same!

I'm reading through this whole thread, following Mazy's story, and this is completely OT, but I have two of those scratching posts.  They are great! 

I also have to say that MC has to be the most amazing pet parent ever.  I am in awe.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 02:16:11 PM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #177 on: January 08, 2018, 03:26:19 PM »
I also have to say that MC has to be the most amazing pet parent ever.  I am in awe.

Yep, she is.  I think we're ALL in awe . . .  HeadButt
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #178 on: January 08, 2018, 05:16:27 PM »
Oh gosh you guys, thank you.  But every one of you are as awesome as you say I am.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #179 on: November 08, 2018, 07:25:55 PM »
Mazy cat has a MAT.  I'm posting this in her arthritis thread because mats along the spine are not uncommon in cats with arthritis.  This is because they have trouble bending and reaching certain spots.  But with the amount of activity Mazy cat shows, and her ability to leap and fly around, I never dreamed she might be having trouble reaching certain spots on her body for washing.

Mazy cat has those mats again.  I was surprised to see that last eyar they showed up in August,. I thought it was a cold weather thing. But she didn't get any this summer, only just finding the start of them now.  Again in her thick ruff around her neck and two down her back, one on her spine and one on her right hip.

They are just starting, barely mats at all yet, just thickened fur, but the areas there are flaky too like last time.  I've worked the spots good with my fingers and then, much to her displeasure, kind of held her in place and put the comb through them.

You may remember how curly her fur actually is underneath!

http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=5287.0

Tags: