Author Topic: Distilled Water?  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Distilled Water?
« on: February 10, 2012, 09:20:10 AM »
From Dr. Hofve's site, Little Big Cat (Free Article Library):  http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/water-water-everywhere-but-whats-a-cat-to-drink/

Distilled water has been purified so that it does not contain any particles at all. While purity may sound good, you really should not use distilled water for drinking. The reason lies in the fundamental nature of water. Water and solutes (molecules and particles) move by osmosis and diffusion, respectively. You might remember these from high school chemistry class! Basically, water moves by osmosis from where there is more of it, to where there is less of it; and solutes diffuse from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. Distilled water contains zero solutes, so when it enters the intestines, diffusion will actually pull solutes out of the body. Drinking only distilled water can ultimately cause deficiencies in sodium, potassium, and important trace minerals. It also becomes acidic when exposed to air. It may contain higher levels of volatile compounds such as benzenes, trihalomethanes, and trichloroethylene, as well as highly toxic “disinfection by-products.”  In people, exclusive consumption of distilled water is associated with high blood pressure and heart arrhythmias. While distilled water can be valuable when used for a short-term process of detoxification, it’s not safe for long-term consumption.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Distilled Water?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 09:46:44 AM »
Thanks Pookie.  That's exactly what I was looking for, to post elsewhere, where someone kept telling me they use distilled water for their cats.

Now, what's the difference between "purified" and "distilled"?

(Maybe this part of the thread can be split off, to start a new discussion?  It's an important issue, I think, and we don't want it buried in this thread)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Distilled Water?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 11:12:53 AM »

(Maybe this part of the thread can be split off, to start a new discussion?  It's an important issue, I think, and we don't want it buried in this thread)

Your wish is my command.   ;D
Rather then "picking" through posts, I split the other thread... starting with Pookie's post.  Others, that posted, may want to repeat his or herself.   Bumpurr1
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 12:14:34 PM »
This is an important issue.  In reading around the pet forums I belong to, I see more than a few people use distilled water to "avoid urinary tract problems".  Some say their vets told them to do it. If only these vets would tell them to feed a canned only diet instead. Some say they read it on the internet.

I'm not big on chemistry but  this info about distilled water makes sense to me, and I will continue to share the link in the hopes of educating a few more. :)

None of my cats drink water at all now, being all canned kitties.  I used to add water to their canned food, but as my water is hard well water (heavy minerals) I really think that was at least part of the problem for my FLUTD kitty.  The other cat I was adding so much water to her food to slow her down and help her feel filled, I discovered had a consistent urine pH of 6.75, so I've reduced the amount of water I add to her canned food now too.

PS I want to clarify that I always have their bowl of water available, freshened several times a day, even though I never see any of them drinking from it.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 12:57:20 PM »
Now, what's the difference between "purified" and "distilled"?

I did a quick search and basically, "purified" means that contaminants have been eliminated and "healthy minerals and taste ingredients" have been added.  Distilled water is "void of all toxins, minerals and ingredients of taste."  So both are "pure," but one has minerals and one does not.  Apparently they are different processes.

Read more: What Is the Difference Between Purified & Distilled Water? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_7631153_difference-between-purified-distilled-water.html#ixzz1m0TeNCh9
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: