Author Topic: Feline-Nutrition.org  (Read 8055 times)

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Feline-Nutrition.org
« on: June 24, 2011, 03:53:11 PM »
Within http://feline-nutrition.org , here are Experts, along with Dr. Pierson,  who are sharing their knowledge:  http://feline-nutrition.org/about-us/building-a-big-tent-the-many-voices-of-feline-nutrition

HTML tutorial

« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 08:47:09 PM by Lola, Reason: added url »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Feline-Nutrition.org
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 08:23:54 PM »
Changing how people think about feline nutrition will only happen from the bottom up, with the help of members like you — people who have taken the time to learn the issues associated with sound feline nutrition.

www.feline-nutrition.org
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 08:25:39 PM by Lola, Reason: corrected url in subject line »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 07:54:39 PM »
Thanks for adding this, I was thinking about it the other day, but couldn't remember the darn name.

bonkhead
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 08:22:42 PM »
Thanks for adding this, I was thinking about it the other day, but couldn't remember the darn name.

bonkhead

Glad to help out.  This is the most recent website that I am "stuck" on.   :D  Had to give Dr. Lisa Pierson a break.  lol

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 09:37:49 AM »
Halleluiah, got rid of all the code stuff!!  :)

These are adorable!!  Must watch videos thumbsup1

"...Kai was hoping for a little more..."  "http://www.youtube.com/v/qkYVILg2oks

MooKitty!   http://www.youtube.com/v/wBVA2OZ5NXk

« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 03:30:46 PM by Lola, Reason: embedded video »

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 09:51:57 AM »
Glad to help out.  This is the most recent website that I am "stuck" on.   :D  Had to give Dr. Lisa Pierson a break.  lol

Dr. Lisa never gets a break!!  She's on there, too  ;D :)

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
    • CatCentric - Your place for all things cats!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 03:41:32 PM »
Besides simple public education (in which we can all play a part), FNES intends to get politically involved in an effort to change the regulations around pet food ingredient sourcing and manufacturing processes, as well as - perhaps even more importantly - facilitate and support non-biased feline nutrition studies. One of my favorite missions, however, is the creation and implementation of a certified feline nutrition program; the first seat in the first class has my name written all over it. *grin*

AC

P.S. Full disclosure: the article "Melamine to Frankenprey: A Documented Journey" is mine.
AC's Crew: Allen, Rachel, Meghan, Spencer, Heather & Ralph

CatCentric.org: A feline nutrition, raw feeding, cat care, health & behavior blog & resource site.

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 11:21:48 PM »
Besides simple public education (in which we can all play a part), FNES intends to get politically involved in an effort to change the regulations around pet food ingredient sourcing and manufacturing processes, as well as - perhaps even more importantly - facilitate and support non-biased feline nutrition studies. One of my favorite missions, however, is the creation and implementation of a certified feline nutrition program; the first seat in the first class has my name written all over it. *grin*

AC

P.S. Full disclosure: the article "Melamine to Frankenprey: A Documented Journey" is mine.

clapping1           DrLisaPiersonWorthy  DrLisaPiersonWorthy (<--AC, this smiley is named "Dr. LisaPiersonWorthy", BTW)     ;)

Wow, here's the link http://feline-nutrition.org/features/melamine-to-frankenprey-a-documented-journey
PRICELESS, specially for those looking to "take the leap" and extremely well written/fun to read! 

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 11:33:18 PM »
From the linked piece ^ , a GREAT point that the PFI has succeeded in burying, so that nobody will believe that they are carnivores, with carnivore digestive systems,  carnivore enzymes...and carnivore teeth:

I've received multiple comments from some readers referencing the "risks" of feeding raw foods.

I've done a ton of research and read article after article from folks who've been feeding or recommending raw food for years, some for decades. I've yet to come across a single documented instance of a cat, dog or owner becoming ill from feeding raw food; although I've read of multiple cases of people hospitalized with salmonella after handling dry pet foods.

Cats have shorter digestive tracts with a specific enzyme mix that evolved to process raw meat completely and quickly.² It took me a while to get to this point, but based on everything I've read, I'm comfortable feeding raw food, both human-grade and wild-caught.

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 12:01:14 AM »
clapping1           DrLisaPiersonWorthy  DrLisaPiersonWorthy (<--AC, this smiley is named "Dr. LisaPiersonWorthy", BTW)     ;)

Wow, here's the link http://feline-nutrition.org/features/melamine-to-frankenprey-a-documented-journey
PRICELESS, specially for those looking to "take the leap" and extremely well written/fun to read! 

Aw. *cough* Thank you for the kind words. The piece was a blend of two of my favorite passions - cats and writing, so it was a lot of fun to do, too. I'm glad you like it!

From the linked piece ^ , a GREAT point that the PFI has succeeded in burying, so that nobody will believe that they are carnivores, with carnivore digestive systems,  carnivore enzymes...and carnivore teeth:

I have actually come across a case of a cat actively ill with Salmonella poisoning since that article**, so I can't make that claim any more, however, the point is still extremely valid and way, way too often overlooked, misunderstood or simply not believed.  ::)

AC

**Two cats from the same breeding facility were presented for a necropsy (one died, the other was euthanized after being ill a week). The necropsy showed active Salmonella poisoning in the first cat and cultured a strain of Salmonella from the other cat's tissues that matched a strain found in two of the three samples of food submitted, HOWEVER, the cats came from a breeding facility whose raw feeding practices couldn't be examined, both of them had pneumonia (the second cat severely), the first cat was old at 14 years, and the second was both very at 10 months and additionally sick with Bordella. So what does it take for a cat to become ill with Salmonella poisoning? Infirmity and an ongoing, separate illness, at the least. Shane et al. 2003. "Septicemic Salmonellosis in Two Cats Fed a Raw-Meat Diet" Jour Am Animal Hosp Assoc 39:538-542.

CatCentric.org: A feline nutrition, raw feeding, cat care, health & behavior blog & resource site.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 04:14:52 AM »

We have a  vickistar among us.  What an honor!!  (What a welcome...the first thing you post, I disagree with you.  Bumpurr1)  Hope you have a sense of humor.   

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 02:02:54 PM »
We have a  vickistar among us.  What an honor!!  (What a welcome...the first thing you post, I disagree with you.  Bumpurr1)  Hope you have a sense of humor.
No sense of humor needed, Lola. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and the world would be a boring place indeed if we all thought and felt the same way.  :- )

Besides, I'm no more a star than you are. Anyone who goes out of their way to ensure in some manner or another that pets, children, or the downtrodden anywhere have a better life or are given a voice is a star in my book.

AC

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 07:17:03 PM »
Thanks for understanding...and thanks for joining us!!   

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 09:14:24 PM »
Thanks for understanding...and thanks for joining us!!   

Seriously, no wrong was done, no understanding was needed, and gratitude in this case is unnecessary, ok?  :-*

As for joining you, thank Mo, she's the one who sent me the url for this place. *smile* I'm pleased to see a forum sharing information on feline nutrition and looking at it from the perspective of a cat's obligatorily carnivorous nature!

(And the same on canines, too, of course! *grin*)

AC

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 10:38:30 AM »
Mo is awesome.  Wish I had her smarts at her age.  Heck...wish I had her smarts at MY age!