Author Topic: Why Do So Many Domestic Cats....  (Read 5671 times)

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Why Do So Many Domestic Cats....
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 07:43:13 PM »
keep in mind how little of the stated protein levels are actually sourced from animals and therefore available for the cat's use in the first place.
Best regards.

AC

If I joined 100 forums, would ask your blessing for this to be Sig  thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 HeadButt

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 08:37:47 PM »
If I joined 100 forums, would ask your blessing for this to be Sig  thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 HeadButt
.. keep in mind how little of the stated protein levels are actually sourced from animals and therefore available for the cat's use in the first place.

errrmmm... available? or unavailable?   :-\
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 10:54:49 PM »

keep in mind how little of the stated protein levels are actually sourced from animals and therefore available for the cat's use in the first place.
errrmmm... available? or unavailable?   :-\

She's saying to keep in mind how little is available (for the cat's use). If she said that little was unavailable, it would imply that there is a lot available.   God knows the PFI wouldn't allow that.    :(

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 07:10:50 AM »

Even if you get one of the canned foods that are 90-100% meat, their protein percentages are nowhere near what the dried foods have become. Every all-meat canned food I've seen was somewhere like 10-15% protein depending on type of meat--the same protein levels of raw meats. I know that despite my dogs being fed 80-85% ground, raw meat, organs & bone every day, they're not getting 80-85% protein--it's more comparable to canned foods depending on the meat fed that day. Compare any brand's canned protein percentages with the same brand's dry protein percentages--when the same type of meats are used--and you'll see what I mean.

But you can't make comparisons like that.  The protein on the can seems lower, because of the moisture content.  When comparing protein levels (or any nutrient for that matter) you have to do a dry matter conversion.

Find the moisture content of the food (78%, for example) and subtract from 100%.  (22)

Divide the protein percentage by the dry matter percentage. Say the can reads `10% protein

.10 divided by .22 = .45 or 45% protein

If this is a food with no fruits veggies and grains, hopefully the cat is managing to use most of that 45 %

Then take a "high protein low carb" kibble such as Evo with 50 % protein and 10 % moisture

.50 divided by .90 = 55% protein. 

However, Evo is KIBBLE, and while it is grain free and low carb, it is still only 10% moisture and all of us here know that a cat can never ever make up for the lack of moisture in dry food regardless of "quality" of the kibble. (and some of that protein in the Evo is lost to the cat, it coming from peas and pea fiber)

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
    • CatCentric - Your place for all things cats!
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 08:37:55 AM »
..keep in mind how little of the stated protein levels are actually sourced from animals and therefore available for the cat's use in the first place.

errrmmm... available? or unavailable?   :-\

My statement is accurate as written. Only protein sourced from animals (incl. reptiles and insects) is available and useful to the cat.

---

And Middle Child is spot on... in order to accurately compare the protein levels in varying products - such as kibble, canned and raw foods - you have to compare them on a dry matter basis. Scroll down to the bottom of this page for a custom calculator: http://catcentric.org/nutrition-and-food/canned-foods/

In addition to comparing the protein levels using DMB calculations, you must also take into account what percentage of those proteins are animal-based and therefore, available for the cat's use, the quality of the source of those animal-based proteins (waste products vs. fresh whole meats), and the changes those proteins undergo during their respective processing (rendering vs. freezing).

After looking at the full picture, it's easy to see why raw diets provide such a huge boost in vitality and health, and why cats have begun living increasingly shorter, more sickly lives over the last ten years. :-{

AC
AC's Crew: Allen, Rachel, Meghan, Spencer, Heather & Ralph

CatCentric.org: A feline nutrition, raw feeding, cat care, health & behavior blog & resource site.

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 05:14:31 PM »
My statement is accurate as written.

Gotcha, just took me a few more readings for some reason... probably just the long separation due to the phrases in the middle...
keep in mind how little of the stated protein levels are actually sourced from animals and therefore (how little is) available for the cat's use in the first place.
OR...
could just be that I needed more  coffee1
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
    • CatCentric - Your place for all things cats!
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 11:43:33 PM »
Gotcha, just took me a few more readings for some reason... probably just the long separation due to the phrases in the middle... OR...
could just be that I needed more  coffee1

I do get a little long-winded at times; sorry about that!

Have you ever read any of Sören Kierkegaard's work? There were occasions while reading his Purity of Heart and The Sickness Unto Death that I had to take notes so I wouldn't lose track of his points. Single sentences sometimes make up entire, extensive paragraphs. Fascinating books, but not the easiest to follow. After reading them, one of my low-level takeaways was a desire to keep my writing as far from that as possible. *chuckle*

AC
AC's Crew: Allen, Rachel, Meghan, Spencer, Heather & Ralph

CatCentric.org: A feline nutrition, raw feeding, cat care, health & behavior blog & resource site.

Tags: