Author Topic: The Elephant in the Pet Food: Endotoxins  (Read 686 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
The Elephant in the Pet Food: Endotoxins
« on: September 30, 2015, 05:51:16 PM »
http://truthaboutpetfood.com/the-elephant-in-the-pet-food-endotoxins/

The Elephant in the Pet Food: Endotoxins

Think your pet is safe just because Salmonella or E. coli bacteria is killed by the cooking process of pet food? Think again. The elephant ignored in pet food: endotoxins produced by dead bacteria. This is one of the most concerning things I’ve learned about pet food.

The medical dictionary of theFreeDictionary.com states: Endotoxins are ‘toxins’ that are released on bacterial death. Endotoxins are produced by Gram-negative bacteria. Examples of gram-negative bacteria: Salmonella and E. coli. Endotoxins are “moderately toxic; fatal to animals in large doses.”

Endotoxins are sort of a defense mechanism for bacteria (gram-negative bacteria); you kill me, I’m going to release a toxin. When bacteria such as Salmonella or E. coli are killed through heat or other ‘kill steps’, they release a toxin (endotoxins). Endotoxins cannot be destroyed through heat or acid or any ‘kill step’ recommended by FDA. FDA would like consumers to believe that the only bacterial risk in pet food is live bacteria. But live bacteria in not the only concern. Endotoxins produced upon bacterial death causes another whole set of problems.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: The Elephant in the Pet Food: Endotoxins
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 05:14:09 AM »
 :'(

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: The Elephant in the Pet Food: Endotoxins
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 03:52:26 PM »
I have to admit I thought everything was killed during processing.  I ASSumed because of kibble and many wet foods including road kill, diseased animals, filthy grocery store meat scraps-including styrofoam and plastics, restaurant and bakery grease, etc. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: