Author Topic: Hairballs and Cat-Furminator Information  (Read 1934 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Hairballs and Cat-Furminator Information
« on: April 21, 2014, 03:38:22 PM »
Regurgitated three days since last Sunday, after going two weeks perfectly fine.  :'(

It's really . . . odd . . . because it seems like Mazy and Pookie are on similar schedules.
 grouphug

Have either of you tried Furminating your cats? They make ones for cats now.  I just saw this and thought of you. according to them, being Furminated for 10 minutes, twice a week, removes 90% of loose hair. http://www.island-cats.com/?p=24111 I know it will remove a ton of hair from Barkly. Maybe since it's not like a comb or brush that gets on/near their skin, they might tolerate it?

I also know they have a generic kind at coughcoughWalmartcoughcough, that's a lot less expensive too. They also carry Shedmonsters for cats, and the doggy version of that removed a lot of Barkly too.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Hairballs and Cat-Furminator Information
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 03:55:10 PM »
Thanks, Dee.  I have a Furminator, and call me crazy (I double-dog dare ya  :P) but I swear it made the hairballs worse.  :( Probably because it did loosen up the fur, maybe a little too much?   :-\  And clueless as I was when I brought him and his sister home, I didn't get them used to grooming, so he's not a big fan of being brushed/combed.  He tolerates it (and I use that term loosely) for maybe 60 seconds on a really good day.  Usually it's more like 30 seconds.   :(
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 04:03:23 PM »
I have the Walmart furminator but I no longer use it,  I'm with Pookie, it makes things worse.

Mazy cat's problem is poor motility. The other two cats have no trouble with hairballs, ever.

But thank you Dee, for trying to figure things out for us!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 04:34:09 PM »
Maybe cats have more static and it's loosening hair but not bringing it to the top so it's just sticking in there loose. I know I can't Furminate Barkly when sitting or standing on rugs. I DO have to run an Ionic brush through him after I'm finished Furminating though. Some of it just sticks in there and then gets on the floor later if I don't.

Oh well. Maybe one day cats will have genes in them that keeps them from freaking out over vacuums, and you can all just vacuum it all out of their coats.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 01:16:13 PM »
I used one, a few times. I thought it worked really good, except... hair blew around and stuck everywhere!  Set off my allergies big time.  I PROBABLY would like it more, if I could use it outside.  :) 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: