Author Topic: You may want to check your fish sources  (Read 7117 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
You may want to check your fish sources
« on: June 23, 2014, 06:59:06 PM »
Trashy Fish  >:( http://truthaboutpetfood.com/is-your-pet-eating-trash-fish
This is Horrible!!!
Hmm a few companies come to mind....Weruva, Almo....
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: You may want to check your fish sources
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 05:33:41 AM »
Horrible.  I don't feed fish, but I do feed Tiki, which is made in Thailand. I've never been really thrilled with the company, because their contact us form doesn't work, and I think they are not as good as they claim.  But it has helped to keep Jennie's weight down, because of the lack of fat and carbs (lower calories) in it.

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 10:32:29 AM »
I know a cat who was TOTALLY addicted to whatever is in the kibble and Fancy feast fish flavors she had been on for years before current parents took her. It took a lot of perseverance and time just to get her to go NEAR anything else but the FF, not to mention, convincing her parents...  People just can't believe about the not-being-able-to-chew thing, or detrimental effects of fish & what is in just about all pet foods... but I digress.

Despite big pet "supply" stores being VERY abundant in a heavily-populated/congested area (FAR from being "the sticks"), there were NO other options at the time but to order whole cases of different foods, and to grab cans of the "lessor of the evils" at a "Holistic" pet boutique.

To give an idea just how pathetic it really is:
Weruva makes "Solistic" exclusively for PETCO.  Went into the nice, big PETCO and not only do they not carry it, they'd never even HEARD of it when asked!! 

Suffice to say, TIKI seem  a "safe" choice, however Non-fish is NOT available even in a "holistic" botique  (local-ish place which even carries the brand at all) -- ONLY online.

People are just totally screwed as far as options, unless they go RAW/Home-made. Depending on area, can be even worse than "normal".

Pet food EXISTS due to human food-waste which would otherwise end up in landfills, and people just do not believe this.  Wonder why...

God knows they will believe ANY half-sentenced, barely fact blurb when they read it on FB... and it affects THEIR food supply, or health, or pocketbook!   >:(

Things can not and will not change until demand for what is right goes up.  But how will "the majority" ever know what the heck TO demand?   Most (if not all) feed what their vets tell them to...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 11:05:07 AM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 12:39:00 PM »
God knows they will believe ANY half-sentenced, barely fact blurb when they read it on FB... and it affects THEIR food supply, or health, or pocketbook!   >:(

Things can not and will not change until demand for what is right goes up.  But how will "the majority" ever know what the heck TO demand?   Most (if not all) feed what their vets tell them to...

Yes, but add to that "whatever is easiest"  It's much easier to buy a bag of "vet recommended " food, or to convince yourself that "since it's still on the shelves it must be fine for my pet"

People are lazy and don't want the trouble of thinking about if it's good for their pets or not, let alone trying to make the changes.

My life revolves around what my cats eat and when.  There are times when I am very tired that a tiny part of me wishes I didn't know so much now.  Not REALLY, but still....sometimes I am very tired.

I can see there will come a time when I will not have cats, not just because I don't want to leave them homeless when I am old and die or can't take care of them any more, but because I have to do the best I can by them and who knows how much longer I will have the energy to do that?  These are my last cats.  Queen Eva is four. Mazy is 10 and Jennie is 9 (approximate for both)

All we can keep doing is spreading the word.  Even if only 1 out of every thousand pet owners is swayed by our arguments, still that is one.  And that one, in turn, will be of course trying to persuade others, when they start learning.

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 02:45:49 PM »
All we can keep doing is spreading the word.  Even if only 1 out of every thousand pet owners is swayed by our arguments, still that is one.  And that one, in turn, will be of course trying to persuade others, when they start learning.

I agree   :)  I used to try, hard.  People tell me that what I read "on the Internet" is BS because I'm not their vet, who is telling them to feed the opposite of what I've been trying to prove is what won't make them sick.   :(   

Who calls the shots, and has alllll the influence?

And meanwhile, I know a cat stuck on one food, and one food only (for too many reasons to list). And now that food is being questioned, for legitimate reason  :'(

With alllllll these pet food "supply" stores,, there are NO options to go for fish-less, low-carb cat food. None. Yet they are stacked to the gills with hundred+ of different pet "food" choices!  :o

How many are fortunate to live in one of those progressive California towns, where it is a whole 'nother world?  The rest of the country is royally screwed, especially the further east you head.   

Mentioned in another thread that not even the 2007 AND 2008 catastrophe phased the vast majority.  They are even more defensive of the old faithful name brands because that's what their VETS "prescribe", and tell them is "good".

Even people on mainstream pet forum who have been on a forum for YEARS  where info has been repeatedly posted only get more defensive over the foods, the same food their vets swear by.

Oh then a bunch post, making light of their poor cats throwing up all the time.   >:(

THAT is animal abuse right there because it's not as though those people haven't been repeatedly provided the info, right in front of them, over the years. 

Why don't they question WHY it's happening, instead of making light of it?

Why don't their VETS tell them it shouldn't be happening?  That should be their DUTY as licensed professionals.  How would they all like to vomit that much?  First thing anyone with a lick of common sense (especially if they studied these species) would do is change their food when vomiting occurs.

Shouldn't that be the FIRST logical thought, just human nature? "What am I eating? What could I be allergic to...?"

Why don't they? What is stopping them all? 

I'm sick of the excuses "but vets don't get taught, debt, blah blah" from others.
   Now people don't just think it's a crock, they ARGUE when the info is provided regarding their vet-endorsed "trusted name-brands"! 

Same exact thing as the declawing.  The Declawing documentary is OUT there, too, yet why did Aaaaw-Nuld shoot down the bill for the potential California State Law? WHO contributed to his coffer and told him what to say?

And it is obviously SOOOOOO much easier to gang up on the "little", such as that guy who tattooed his dog, when the gothic pierced AND tattooed kittens were discovered in 2011, and that lady politician got NOWHERE with her bill until that one guy got ganged up on...

Incredible how enough people "got together" for justice against him. He, a skilled Tattooist, was also promptly fired despite being under his vet's supervision!   He didn't even do the tattoo in his own workplace! And he didn't give his dog piercings... 

Also incredible was the vengenance and ire Martha Stewart drew with her opinion. I just wonder, where are all the same people taking issue with those who call the shots and have the most influence?

That's what gets me.  And that's why nothing is getting better. It's literally going backwards where I am.  At least in 2007, some people were frantically looking for not-yet-recalled foods.  Now it's even worse.  You can probably guess which brands still (for obvious reasons) dominate EVERY pet store where I am.    :(    The PETCO  hasn't even HEARD of a food made exclusively for them    :o     (Stressing this because I wish I was exaggerating   :(   ).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 02:52:37 PM by CarnivorousCritter »

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 02:48:57 PM »
Sorry for the rant  :-[  Saw a thread elsewhere with people making light of something serious and all-too-common, which literally made me nauseous. 

Fish, corn, soy,  GlutensGalore, sawdust of Pine Tree, porkFAT.... these things are the gold STANDARD for a reason... while some believe FISH to be an upgrade!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 03:10:55 PM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 03:50:01 PM »
Trashy Fish  >:( http://truthaboutpetfood.com/is-your-pet-eating-trash-fish
This is Horrible!!!
Hmm a few companies come to mind....Weruva, Almo....

I have never heard of Almo. 
I don't feed ANY fish flavors, but if I did... I would trust Weruva.  They only use one kind of fish.  I just don't see them buying "trash fish."  They are one of the few pet food companies with high standards and ethics.  IMHO 

The article Susan Thixton is quoting... snip

Trash fish doesn’t refer to a single species. It’s a catch-all term for two types of wild-caught seafood: species that are unpalatable (to human tongues, at least) and species that would grow into big, tasty fish if nets had not snared them so young.

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 03:54:31 PM »
I was curious if this was new info.  The following is dated 2008.

A recent study by Deakin University scientists has uncovered some revealing facts. Giovanni Turchini and Professor Sena De Silva in a report published in the prestigious Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics  has revealed that the world's domestic cats are fed nearly 2.5 million tonnes of so called trash fish which are used by the pet food industry as cat food.
http://www.allaboutfeed.net/Home/General/2008/9/Global-cat-food-use-of-trash-fish-AAF002380W/

I don't "see" Weruva lying about it, for that last 6 years.  Purina.. yes.   >:D

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 04:03:14 PM »
Isn't most "mainstream" pet foods' "fish" (and other stuff) mostly from China?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 04:06:54 PM »
Isn't most "mainstream" pet foods' "fish" (and other stuff) mostly from China?

I don't think it matters... only thing fishy about their fish is the eyeballs, fins, etc. came from a fish.   :o

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 04:11:59 PM »
A recent study by Deakin University scientists has uncovered some revealing facts. Giovanni Turchini and Professor Sena De Silva in a report published in the prestigious Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics  has revealed that the world's domestic cats are fed nearly 2.5 million tonnes of so called trash fish which are used by the pet food industry as cat food.

2008?!   Wonder who fed gave Susan T. this "breaking"  ::)  info all of a sudden, now that Weruva & Tiki are getting customers.    ::)  Oh that's right, it came from an Idaho/Iowa (? wherever)  "news"paper  ::)
Wonder who their biggest advertisers are ...

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 04:24:33 PM »
Actually just about all fish, fish for humans I mean, comes from China.  No matter where it was harvested, it goes through China before it comes here.  Learning that grossed me out so much that I have stopped eating fish, completely. :(

CC You don't have to apologize for your rant.  I understand your frustration. If I let myself think about it I would be the same way.  But I can't carry that much anger during my daily life, it would cripple me.  So yes, I have to push it back out of my mind, and approach it in small doses.  A co-worker here and there.  My vet. Various pet forums.  I belong to one forum where hardly anyone ever discusses diet because the forum doesn't like controversial threads.  However I do know I have reached one member there.  She doesn't talk about it, but I've seen her references to feeding her cat an all canned diet, and now and then she suggests to someone else that they give their cat some canned food.  So there's my one, for that forum at least.

But recently I saw the resident vet there mention "prescription diets" to people in two different threads, even talking about how "great" they are..  Even though I know how the members feel about this vet (  DrLisaPiersonWorthy ) I could not stay silent, and said my piece, in both threads about what I think of those "diets" and why.

The bottom line is, money is the main issue.  Where there is money to be made, ethics will not win. That's why we have to keep working from the bottom.  Because until something stops making money,  it's not going to stop being made. It's the same for declawing.  Vets make big bucks. As new generations come up, hopefully more enlightened, vets will find they can make a living without this cruelty.  It's going to end, someday, here.  I don't know if I will live to see it, but I believe it will.

Look how many pet food manufactures have hustled to put out "natural" formulas now.  Or "grain free" or "no corn".  It's all the rage, because people are at least half listening.  You don't put out foods like that, that might cost a little more to make and sell, unless something else has lost an edge of profit.

It's not enough and those foods are just as crappy as the original formulas, but it's hope.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 04:26:56 PM »
Why don't they question WHY it's happening, instead of making light of it?

Because they're not human children. I guarantee you if it were human children, they'd be raising Cain. Not everyone puts their pets on the same status level as themselves or their offspring. To do so would require some thought about exactly just how responsible ARE they for the pets they keep. Like I always say, the majority of today's people are allergic to thought.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 04:44:03 PM »
CC You don't have to apologize for your rant.  I understand your frustration. If I let myself think about it I would be the same way.  But I can't carry that much anger during my daily life, it would cripple me.

MC I was wondering about these people who "gang up" on a Martha Stewart, or that Tattoo guy, when giving those MOST influential a total pass.  TOTAL.

When I do attempt to bring up who is MOST responsible for the things they are so vehemently protesting, all I get back (if ANYthing) is TOTAL pass for those MOST responsible for it. Those who hold ALL the cards. Those who TELL the Marthas & Awwww-Nulds that declawing ...

(It was my comment on that "Martha  & Declawing" blog, which induced the blogger to defend the vets declawing due to "economics". And I EXPECTED it, if any reaction at all -- and even that was due to a 'regular' responding to mine! -- because it's NO different than this food issue...)

See what I'm trying to say?

I'm over being angry.  That was for 2007-8.    And will really try to resist these controversial topics as it all comes back to the same people with the most power and the most influence...
 :)

PS Was always a fan of Arnie and his movies.  :(
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 05:15:51 PM by CarnivorousCritter »

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 05:06:53 PM »

Because they're not human children. I guarantee you if it were human children, they'd be raising Cain. Not everyone puts their pets on the same status level as themselves or their offspring. To do so would require some thought about exactly just how responsible ARE they for the pets they keep. Like I always say, the majority of today's people are allergic to thought.

True.  Would prefer for those same humans to be amputated from the knuckle...or even ALL 10 TOES they have to walk on!  And vomiting every week. AND being forced to swallow hard, shattered/whole things...Wonder how THAT would feel?

Oh well. All we can do is vent.   I don't get as upset over stuff as much as before (as my own guilt has faded a little over the years). That Martha blog was the first I've commented on a page in a while  and that blogger and all but one commenter reaffirmed why I stopped.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 05:30:26 PM by CarnivorousCritter »

Tags: