Author Topic: Pet Food Ingredients to Avoid: Guar Gum  (Read 1342 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Pet Food Ingredients to Avoid: Guar Gum
« on: April 14, 2014, 12:19:43 PM »
Pet Food Ingredients to Avoid: Guar Gum:

Third in our “Pet Food Ingredients to Avoid” series is guar gum, another thickening agent. Guar gum is also a polysaccharide, but unlike xanthan gum – a product of bacterial fermentation produced in a lab – guar gum is derived from an actual food: the guar bean, or Indian cluster bean. These are the seeds of the Cyamopsis tetragonoloba tree that grows primarily in India and Pakistan. These seeds look similar to green beans and the food additive produced from them looks similar to flour.

http://catcentric.org/2014/04/14/pet-food-ingredients-to-avoid-guar-gum/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Pet Food Ingredients to Avoid: Guar Gum
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 02:08:51 PM »
I think...and I could be wrong :) ... guar gum is an ingredient I could do without, but it isn't on my "have to avoid" list. Commercial canned feeders have to pick their battles. 

Also, I can TOTALLY understand raw feeders being more concerned with most ingredients, in commercial foods. 

These are just my thoughts, and NOT meant to be offensive to Auntie Crazy.   I'm ALWAYS open for discussion. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 02:33:52 PM »
From my point of view, I'm wondering if Guar Gum could replace Xanthum Gum in my gluten-free bread? I've never seen anyone using Guar Gum though.

She scared me with her post about Xanthum Gum.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 03:33:45 PM »
For ME, Xanthum Gum is one to skip. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 05:18:59 PM »
Dr Pierson used to recommend (and use ) guar gum for cats who needed additional fiber. I remember reading it on her website, but a quick glance just now I couldn't find the reference. Guar is not something I am trying to avoid, as there are just too many other things.

Tags: