Author Topic: Instinctive Choice  (Read 2905 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Instinctive Choice
« on: December 04, 2011, 09:08:16 PM »
INGREDIENTS: Organic Chicken, Chicken Liver, Chicken Broth, Turkey, Chicken Meal (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Shrimp, Fish Oil, Calcium Sulfate, Guar Gum, Salt, Taurine, Inulin, Dog Grass Extract, Ground Rosemary, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Folic Acid, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Biotin.
http://www.lifesabundance.com/Catalog/ProductDetail.aspx?realname=20091423&cat=0&hdr=&Ath=False&ProductID=405001%28Pet_Base%29
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Instinctive Choice
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 07:36:00 AM »
Hmm. Always looking for something to add to the rotation,  I'd try it, if the shipping wasn't so high.  In a world where if you look hard enough you never have to pay shipping on cat food, $8+ is way too much.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 12:43:39 PM »
Umm . . . "dog grass extract"?????????  That's a new one to me!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 12:55:50 PM »
I won't be jumping to purchase it. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 08:11:39 PM »
Umm . . . "dog grass extract"?????????  That's a new one to me!

from the website

Every cat owner knows that cats crave grass. That's instinct at its best! When cats in the wild consumed their prey, the intestinal tract contained grass. Instinctive Choice contains dog grass extract

funny2

Bottom line, there is no perfect food, and even the good ones have ingredients they make up stories about to gloss over to make their food sound better than it is.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 11:17:06 AM »

Bottom line, there is no perfect food

You got that right!

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 07:54:49 PM »
Other than the dog grass extract, which doesn't seem to be inherently harmful, whats the general consensus on this food as emergency rations? The carbs are less than 3.5%, and unlike some other low carb, grain free choices (cough cough -Evo- cough) it actually has more protein than fat and isn't using plants like alfalfa (cough by-Nature cough) to boost the protein numbers, and it doesn't contain carageenan (cough Before Grain cough). I am thinking about getting some for emergency rations but am unsure about the shrimp in it...

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 08:10:18 PM »
Dog grass extract isn't that bad of an additive. It's supposed to especially help with urinary health from what I understand. (I asked a naturopath.) At least in humans, and you know my belief in how human and canine/feline medications are often interchangeable.

http://store.newwayherbs.com/couchgrass-aka-dog-grass-agropyron-repens-p140.aspx

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 08:19:34 PM »
The By Nature Organic does not contain alfalfa. And last I heard, Before Grain has been discontinued.

9% fat is very high.  DMB that's 37 1/2 % fat, though 50 % protein (DMB) is good.  Where did you get the 3.5 % carbs number?  Is that DMB, or before removing the moisture?

Because the fat is so high, I wouldn't use it. But if you do, of course we'd like to hear how Amber likes it.

I always go back to By Nature Organic. It has two ingredients I don't like, but it works here like nothing else I've tried.

PS I used two carb calculators and came up with o% carbs on both for this food.  That's good, very very good, though I don't see how it's possible.  But still that 9% fat bugs me.

http://www.catnews.org/cat_food_calculator.php

http://www.scheyderweb.com/cats/catfood.html

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 03:08:08 PM »
Jean Hofve is an affiliate.  If you want to read what she has to say:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/holistic-pet-mall/instinctive-choice-cat-food/

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 05:24:33 PM »
Chicken, Chicken Liver, Chicken Broth, Calcium Carbonate, Sun-Cured Alfalfa Meal, Flax Seed, Salt, Tricalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Carrageenan, Guar Gum, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Magnesium Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Niacin Supplement (Vitamin B3), Vitamin E Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D2 Supplement, Folic Acid.

Thats for the regular by-Nature. The organics line uses pea-flour now (according to the website) instead of the alfalfa meal. I calculated the carbs myself, on a dry matter basis. It was actually less than 3.5... I was going from memory, but I will calculate it again again to give you an "exact" number.

Thanks Lola :) Dr. Hofve's book is what actually prompted me to look into the food, since he recommends it so highly.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 05:30:46 PM »
Neither myself or MC feeds the "regular" By Nature, due to the carrageenan.  Just throwing that info out there.  :)