Author Topic: Feline Nutrition a Preventative  (Read 3175 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Feline Nutrition a Preventative
« on: July 01, 2011, 01:13:58 PM »
If your cat is having health problems then Nutrition can prevent, or reverse these diseases, etc from happening.

Remember that these problems have increased since the introduction of convenient commercial pet food.

1. Obesity- dry food diets are sprayed with animal fats, like a candy coating to entice cats to eat this cereal based foods. These heavy carb laden foods do not satisfy our cats appettite, making for a grumpy unsatisfied cat. Free feeding can also cause obesity, and free feeding is too hard on their pancreas. Feeding a high protein grain free canned food, or Raw diet. using the formula (weight of cat x 13.6 + 70= the amount of calories to feed a day) do not go by what the can says its alwsys overstated.

2. DIABETES - Genetics may be a contributing factor, but the carbs in dry food put such a load on the cats pancreas, and is putting a constant surge of sugars into their system which a cats system is not designed to handle. A switch to a low carb grain free wet food, or Raw can prevent, or actually reverse this disease without the need for insulin.

3. PANCREATITIS- Our cats pancreas is not adapted to a high carb diet, thus a high protein wet, or Raw diet will help to avoid furhter damage to the organ.

4. IBD (Irritable Bowel Disease)- Hypoallergenic diets do not always work, there is just too many machines, and hands in large factories for the chance of cross contamintation. IBD cats are likely reacting to the preservatives, and or grains in todays pet foods (canned cat food can cause allergies aswell). The best food for a IBD cat is a Raw Diet period. That way you can do an elimination diet in case the allergy is to fish, beef, or Chicken (common allergens)

5. UTI's/Crystals - WATER, WATER,WATER. Cats being descendents of the African wild cat, are not natural water drinkers, so they need to get the water from the food they eat,(canned, or Raw). When on a dry kibble diet, no amount of water will hydrate them enough, the cats bladder needs to be kept flushed out. Grains, fruits, vegies, and Tuna can change the Ph of the Urinary tract, and Starches like Potatoe and Rice raise the glucose level, not good. Best diet a canned grain free, or Raw diet.

6. CRD (Chronic Renal Disease) A cat with this disease still needs protein, contrary to what alot of vets think. Phosphate Binders, or egg whites can be added to the wet, or Raw food to dillute the phosphorous. The protein is needed to give the cat the energy to repair itself. No Dry food for a cat with CRD Period!!

7. Hepatic Lipidosis- A lot of cases of this disease happpens to Obese cats, so preventing obesity is the key. If your cat had Hepatic lipidosis a hig protein wet, or raw food will have to be syringe fed.

8. Dental Problems- Dry food of any sort will not clean your cats teeth,this is a myth! Your cat needs to have their teeth cleaned with a cat toothpaste and brush, vet cleanings, and or Raw meaty bones.

9. Heart Disease- Protein resrtictions is not needed, salt restriction may help. Weight loss is a problem when a cat has Heart Disease, so you must find a food that your cat will eat, if your cat eats the prescritption food for this then add egg white to up the protein in the food.

10. Hyperthyroidism- Feed a wet, or raw diet, No soy, as this has been found to affect teh thyroid gland in humans, along with your vets recommended treatments.

Side note* Did you know that there was a study done that shows that Rice in pet food depletes the Taurine levels in the cats food.

"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Feline Nutrition a Preventative
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 01:22:53 PM »
GREAT post!!   thumbsup1 thumbsup1

It is amazing how many diseases are caused by dry kibble.  Not to mention all the stuff people assume are "normal" for felines, but go away on a wet diet. 

A few of the changes in our felines, since switching to all wet:
No more trips to ER for urinary blockages
No dandruff
No runny eyes
No barfing.
LOTS more energy (Not always a good thing.  lol)
No fatties.

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 08:07:11 PM »
For kitties with heart issues, it is "imperative" that the kitty be fed a quality foodie, that is "low in salt". You "must" avoid all the issues, that are associated, with feeding foodies with grains, by products and glutens in them.    grillsmile   Bumpurr1 cat1 bumpgif

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 08:50:57 PM »
None of ours have heart issues, but I do avoid grains.  Better safe than sorry.  Not a fan of rice either.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 09:04:26 PM »
None of ours have heart issues, but I do avoid grains.  Better safe than sorry.  Not a fan of rice either.

It's a funny thing about rice.  The Boy always seems to do better with a little rice in his diet.  There are only two foods I feed (in rotation) any more that contain any grain, and the grain those foods contain is rice. He doesn't eat them very often any more, and it still doing okay.

Anyway, one of the foods is California Natural Venison and Brown Rice.  The Kitten had some of that the other night.  The next morning, just before breakfast she vomited up a hair ball (her first ever).  All there was in the vomit was the finger size and shaped hair ball, a little bile liquid and a few grains of RICE. All the food had been digested but that rice just sat there in her tummy.

Keeping certain cats on a high quality all canned diet is very difficult, as The Boy and The Kitten are extremely finicky. They don't like this and they don't like that.  They like this today but I better not offer it again for another three days, because they won't eat it. 

Add to that the new complication of The Kitten having an intolerance to chicken. Some days I think I am about to lose my mind over the cat food issue.

And I have to say this, again.  An all canned grain free diet does not always guarantee urinary tract health in a cat prone to struvite crystals.  My FLUTD cat has been tried, many times, on such diets.  The pH always goes up and the struvites always come back. So I carry that worry with me every day too.

No wonder I'm so tired all the time, I spend so much time and energy  worrying about their diets. :(

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 09:12:15 PM »
Some days I think I am about to lose my mind over the cat food issue.

I'll be in the padded cell next to you!!!

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 12:56:54 AM »
  And I have to say this, again.  An all canned grain free diet does not always guarantee urinary tract health in a cat prone to struvite crystals.  My FLUTD cat has been tried, many times, on such diets.  The pH always goes up and the struvites always come back. So I carry that worry with me every day too.
That is becuase "grain free" flavours contain alot of potato in them, which is another thing that we have to worry about.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Tags: